Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was just curious, most of us worry that we, or our family, are going to get an sv, when we come into contact with somebody with it or just in a crowded place. Or, we worry about FP when we've eaten something that we think may have been bad.

My question is...have you, or your family, actually gotten an sv or fp during one of those times of worry? Or, does it usually take you surprise? I spend an awful lot of of time worryingthat me, or my family may contract it, but everytime it has happened,it takes me by surprise.

Its strange but yes, it usually does take me by surprise. Either in the late spring, when I'm totally not expecting it, or when I've had a few too many drinks with friends and hubby calls me and tells me my kid was sick, or something like that. It seems like at the peak of my worry, when its cold, dark, and I'm scared, nothing usually happens. Strange how that works! Janna

My family has never gotten it when I have been very worried about it...probably because the hygiene is exceptional during those times. When we have gotten it, I had not been worried, as there had not been talk of it "going around".

The last two times, I woke up feeling off and it just sort of progressed. My daughter is fine all day and then wham! her stomach starts hurting and the fun begins. I don't tend to think sv* until she is sick. Then it's more of an "oh, this must be a sv*...crap". My partner is usually a day or two behind. She isn't an emet, and doesn't come close to the hygenic practices that I do. She also hardly ever v*. There must be some truth behind the B blood type and resistance to sv*. My daughter and I are O+ and seem to catch it much more easily.
    Be Here Now

I also find that it will take me by surprise. The only time my son has had a sv (knock on wood) was 3 years ago, and I had no warning at all. BOOM! Of course I got it about 48 hours later. It was December/January. Him the 31st, me late on the 1st.

The two times I had a sv before that was in June and early September. Totally not expecting that at all!

Weird, isn't it? What is this about B blood group being more immune to a sv? I am B+. I don't even know what my son is. Noone ever told me, and when I asked my dr, she said it really didn't matter b/c if he needed any blood quickly it would be O- anyway. [img]smileys/smilies_24.gif[/img]

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

DAMN! I am O+.

Yeah it usually takes me by surprise, and I think that's what the scariest part is. That it can come out of no where and just ruin your day like that. It seems unfair.

I also might be type O blood. I'm not completely sure what I am, but I'm definetly not B. My mom is type A and my dad is O. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I have never experienced one of us getting sick when I was anticipating it happening. It has always happened for me when things were going well and I wasn't thinking much about it. Maybe that's why we tend to obsess over it- because it never seems to happen when we are obsessing. ???
    \"This too shall pass\"

I've never had FP as far as I remember. My mom hasn't v* for more than
    20 years too (because she's also paranoid about food). My dad v* now
    and then because he eats anything (I swear, ANYTHING). So when he v*,
    it does not surprise neither us nor him. My bf v* very rarely, I need
    to ask him about if that is unexpected for him..

Anyway, I have never even felt bad after worrying or being scared that I might v*. It always came to me as a surprise.

I must say that I v* 3 times in my whole life. Once because
    I ate too much of bananas (I was young and stupid, age 7, lol), but it
    was nothing, I only v* once to get rid off those. The second time was
    when my grandmom made me some dumplings and I did not chew them well
    enough. I went to bed feeling fine and I woke up in the middle of the
    night and started v*. It was not severe, only two times and without any
    warnings. I was 10 or 11 then. Then no v* till the last winter (age
    21). Well it was also unexpected because I had no idea that there were
    viruses that could make you v*. It was also the first time I had d* in
    my life (except when I was a baby).

You only live once

Lol I've never had a sv when I was worrying about catchingit. I finally stopped worrying- even though I just moved back in with my parents and they both have a sv atm (none of us have ever v*d from sv though so I haven't panicked)... and I think I've caught it! I've been so damn hygenic- I don't know how it could have happened lol it definitely took me by suprise...Now I'm thinking I should start worrying all the time again[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]