Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all!

I am a newbie, though I've read these boards for a while. I must say I was very comforted and relived to know that youare all out there.

So, my husband and his family would like me to accompany them on a trip to India in April. Though I would love to go,I'mfreaking outbecause:

*14 hour plane ride (though I did endure a Qantas flight to Australia last year - I watched 4 movies on my seat-back chair and tried to ignore the rest of the passengers as much as possible)

*food of unknown origin- what would I eat?!?!?!Everyone who goes toIndia says that you need tobe prepared for yourstomach to rejectwhat you'reeatingat least once...

*long train/bus/car rides while there - It will be hot and crowded - I don't think I can handlethat.

*crowds (which I imagine are not all that sanitary)

Myemetantenna would be up constantly for the whole 2 or so weeks and I think I would be completely exhausted upon returning.

Has anyone been to India? Am I overreacting?

Thoughts?

Hmmm...I have heard absolutely wonderful things about traveling to India. My best friend/college roommate studied abroad there for 6 months and said it completely changed her life. However, she did come back with Giardia and lost a significant amount of weight from v* and d*. I have traveled to Thailand (which I was SO worried about) and met up with other travelers who said Thailand was extremely clean compared to India. If you are willing to take some risks of being sick...I think it might be totally worth it. I am hoping to travel there myself and I have the same worries and concerns as you do. But sometimes you have to think about what you might be missing out on just because of this phobia...the experience as a whole could make any bad experience fall into the background of your memory. I suggest you take the leap and go...you will have family there if something does happen...and most likely if you are careful you will be totally ok. Wishing you the best!!

My mom has been to India to study yoga there over ten times. Great, great! It is much less "unsanitary" than many people in the U.S. believe. Yes, there is pollution, but that's not what you're worried about, is it? There are always other alternatives to the food, give it a go with something not-so-spicy, like something with yogurt, and tentatively move up the "spice chain". The only ailment my mom sometimes suffers is constipation, and before she goes she asks her doctor if she can have a med to relieve that. I say go!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

My brother's gf travels to India on a regular basis and has never had any problems. I hear its a wonderful place!

My friend and her husband go to India annually to visit his family and I have often been invited and turned down the invitation because of the same concerns. What I do know is that she has only been really ill one time from eating there and it was because the sugar in the pastry she ate was not refined and had bacteria. (or something like that) It wasn't a food purchased at a resturaunt, it was something one of his aunts made, and my friend over indulged. Also, I recently talked with a man who toured 14 countries in 40 days and he said 2/3 of the group got sick in India. Now, that being said- surely not everyone who goes to India gets sick. So, you will just do your research, talk to your doctor about immunizations and how to protect yourself from sickness. Get some good anti biotics (I think they now give my friend Cipro to take at the first sign of anything yukkie)- take lots of probiotics between now and April- and you will be fine and have a wonderful and amazing time. I have heard such amazing and wonderful things about India. Don't be like me and miss out on this opportunity. Go!!! You will surely regret it if you don't.
    \"This too shall pass\"

My cousin and her bf hiked through Asia last year. They went to India. The only time she mentioned being sick was in a bus ride because it was so bumpy and hot.They loved the food andthey even took cooking lessons so they could cook thier own food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh the one very important thing that my mother makes sure of when she goes: Water. Thats one of the main culprits. Drink bottled water, don't fill up a bottle with tap but buy bottled water each time. It's much safer that way.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate your input.

I'm not really worried about myself since I know I'll be careful to drink bottled water and I won't eat if the food is questionable. I think my husband is also pretty careful as well. It's the rest of the family I'm really worried about...and things like people getting sick on buses...

I'm a little bit more excited about going, though.

while many people do get sick during their travels in india and other countries, i feel as if you will be one of the lucky ones because of your "emet antenna".

I've never been to India but back in August I spent a month in Africa
    and had the exact same concerns...and guess what?? I didn't feel
    n* not even once!!

I had a little d* a couple of times from eating the wrong thing....but I never ever felt like I wanted to v*.

Bring along some food that you KNOW won't make you sick (I brought
    peanut butter, nutella, granola bars, apple sauce cups, etc.) so if you
    ever feel paranoid about the food you have something else to
    eat....it'll help ease your mind just knowing you have a "safe" option
    available if you want it.

I think you'll do just fine!! Just wash your hands lots....make
    sure any food you get is from a clean, reliable place and that it's
    served piping hot, etc.

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()