Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Meds opinions again!

I'm going for my meds consultation tomorrow, cause i finally decided that I would try one with small side effects...obviously i would like one without any sexual or weight or mood side effects, but i dont think that's possible. So, I am wondering (again!) what meds people have taken and their experiences on them. I know we're going to do a consulation but it would be nice to know real experiences from real people.

Thanks!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

i assume you are talking about anti depressants...

Zoloft and Celexa were great for me. ask for the lowest dose possible...never had a problem with the sexual side effects.

HMmmm....I took Prozac, and it worked GREAT, dramatically reduced my emet tendencies, BUT I put on 30 pounds (that I'm STILL trying to lose), and I had "0" desire sexually.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I am also looking for a med with minimal side effects. Are there any
    that won't hurt you if you want to have an alcoholic drink? I am going
    on vacation next month, and want to know if it would be safe.

yeah, i forgot about the alcohol side effect too. guess i'll have to pick and choose! I think the most important (to me) are alcohol and weight, then sexual, and then personality.

<3 Anya--

i've been taking zoloft for almost 8 years (since i was 12)... honestly, since then i have put on some weight but i don't know if that was puberty-related & i wouldn't know if my sex drive would be any stronger (considering i wasn't having sex when I was 11 or 12 lol)... i'm curious to know how i would be without it, since i was so younger when i first began to take it.

I would pick the same, except switch your number 2 with number 3. Let
    me know what the doc says about alcohol. My guess, he's gonna tell you
    you shouldn't drink while taking anything, that's how they are.

wellbutrin is supposed to be excellent for this- more often than not people lose weight on it, and it is also prescribed to help with sexual problems (one side effect is an increased libido for many people). It is also used to help quit smoking (Zyban and wellbutrin are the same exact drug)

I definetly don't want anyone to take what I write here and don't research it for themselves, cause I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. BUT my doctor said a glass or two of wine or something is not gonna hurt you while taking anti-depressants. It should not be an every day thing but one or two drinks on a weekend is okay. If anything it will make you feel drunker sooner and off of much less alcohol. Anything more than a glass or two is probably risky and you wouldn't want to do this since we are emetaphobic.

Thanks for the info. TMI...Increased libido would be a good thing. I
    have read that some of these medications say you shouldn't drink
    alcohol because it increases the effect. My guess is that it's probably
    best you don't. I'll just have to pick between the two I guess.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I take zoloft and it works wonders! I also asked my doctor about drinking while on it, and he also said a glass of wine is fine, but not to over do it! I didn't really have any side effects as he started me slowly 25 mg then 50 mg now 100 mg and its great![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

My mom takes zoloft and loves it because for her there are no side effects.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I have taken zoloft and celexa in the past which have helped but seem to lose their punch after some years. I am now on Lexapro with no side effects except the libido is down. That is common for all these types.</font>

Is there anything out there that you can take when you anticipate anxiety. I don't really suffer from panic attacks, just anxiety and I know exactly what brings it on...going out in big public places. I don't know why, I just don't want to take something on a daily basis.

I have a presciption for Lorazepam (also called Ativan). It is a
    mild sedative and also I just recently found out it is an
    anti-emetic. two birds with one stone! I have taken this
    before plane rides and stuff and I am still able to carry on a
    conversation if I want to/ need to but you can also take a nap easily
    too.

Hi Sheryl,

Thanks for the info. I have one more question, can you drive after you take it.

Anya, I really don't want to sound patronizing, or fuddy duddy, cos I'm neither, but I know you're quite young and so I'm wondering whether your main concern should be finding the best medicine period, not the one that best fits your lifestyle.

Obviously, if sex and alcohol are a big part of your life, then ignore what I say. If not, then focus on getting better - you'll then enjoy more alcohol and more sex!!

Weight gain, yes, I can see this as an important issue so hopefully you'll get good advice on this

Good luck though in whatever you choose!
    Edited by: suze

Hah yes i know, i am young. The sex isn't a problem right now, i'm only thinking ahead for if i'm on this medicine a long time, I do not want it affecting any future sex drive. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]The alcohol...alcohol is a big part of the high school life, and while i'm not an avid drinker, not even a regular drinker, it's just very had, when, if I do go to a party, to have to say no to everything. Plus, if something is accidentally slipped, I dont want it to be extremely dangerous to my health. I'm not like a raging wild sex-crazed drunk teenager at all, i'm not. Its just that i would like, if possible, for my lifestyle to not change TOO much.

I went today and he didn't even ask me which one i wanted: go figure!! He put me on Celexa, which i'm pretty happy about because of all the things said here about it. Side effects seem to be okay, i only asked about weight gain cause i really like my weight as it is, and he said not a problem. Only thing is I can't drink caffeine for a bit, which is sad because coffee is my savior.

Thanks!

&lt;3 Anya--

Hi Anya,

I am on Celexa and I never had an issue with caffeine....I am a serious coffee drinker, and it does no seem to be an issue for me at all. Just thought I would share! Good luck with everything!