Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Pill swallowing

Hybrid View

Hi, I"m new to this site but am so happy I found it. I honestly thought I was alone with this phobia. It wasn't until I started therapy a few years ago that I found out it actually had a name.

My question is, do any of you have trouble swallowing pills?? I have never been able to (I'm 34). I have a fear of choking on it, gagging, and then vomiting. My throat just closes up whenever I put a pill in my mouth. I would give anything to overcome this.

I understand...I used to have this same problem when I was younger. I
    don't know what happened, but I can swallow like 5 pills at a time now.
    I wish I could remember what changed. I just relax and know the pill is
    going to do good things.

Welcome to the site.

Hi and welcome! I definately think about it heavily before I swallow a pill. In addition to emet, I have an irrational fear of choking I think. I am able now to swallow pills, but if they go down the wrong way or something I'm pretty traumatized. And I have to have a lot of liquid. I actually know a lot of people who can't swallow pills, my mom included. Can you practice with little bits of ice? Also eating a banana right before swallowing something makes your throat kinda slimy and that helps. Janna

From a young age I started taking pills, and I used to be scared too. The thing of it is my parents FORCED me to do it and now I swallow 4 or 5 pills at a time. Just think of it this way, you swallow bigger bites of food then a typical sized asprin, just pretend you are swallowing food after taking a drink. The only problems I ever have is when I have to take those Antibiotics that are lile horse pills.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Welcome! I only have trouble swallowing pills if they are chalky and not coated. I get really afraid, like you, that I will choke and vomit.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

meetoo

I'm also 34, and I can't swallow pills, not even tiny ones. I always ask my doctor for a liquid or chewable, or at least a pill that can be safely crushed. However, I know of at least three other adults, who don't have this phobia that can't swallow pills.

I can't either.. actually, sometimes I have periods of no fear of it and can swallow anything, but then my fear always returns. It's lame! I know I CAN do it but I get scared and my gag reflex kicks in.

Im almost 22 and still cant swallow pills. I never could, from a kid till now,a nd everything i take has to be liquid or chewable. Its sad...but i dont know if it has anything to do with emets becasue i just became emet 5 years ago, but i could never swallow pill
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can swallow even the biggst pills. Some of the herbal supplements I take are massive and I can swallow them with others no problem. Just remember you swallow big mouthfulls of food without a problem, this may help!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Up until the beggining of this year I couldn't swallow any type of pill, not even the teeny ones. If I took them with food by tongue woud search them out, and they wouldn't go down. All of a sudden one day I had a really bad cold and set my mind to taking this teeny decongestant, I was so determined and it just went down! Now I have no problem.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!