Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Choking?

I saw someone mention in another thread that they have a fear of choking as well as v*ing and I was wondering if anyone else had that fear or had had their own choking experiences and if it was connected to their emet.

I used to have food go down the wrong way all the time when I was little but it was never a really big deal untilI was abot 8 andstaying at my Granny's house. I put a grape in my mouth and sort of breathed it in whole by accident and I remember I kept swallowing over and over and it just stuck there so I couldn't breathe and it was really scaring me becase I could here all these gasping gulping noises and took a while to realise it was coming from me.

Anyway eventally my granny found me and told me to drink some water (Probably not something that is often effective but oh well) and for some reason it sort of pushed the grape up **Graphic...ish**and I remember I started gaggingmy granny dragging me over to the sink and I can remember thinking that I was going to v* but that I didn't care. I didn't v* in the end, it was just the grape but after that my emet got a lot worse for some reason and I became really paranoid about food. Anyone else have stories to share?

I have a terrible fear of choking. My anxiety is so bad, that I literally have to "think" about swallowing. Swallowing should be involuntary, but I am so anxious, eating is difficult. However, when I take Ativan, I have no problem.

I probably should have a fear of choking since I'm a glutton and tend to inhale my food but thankfully I don't. Twice I have choked on bacon fat because I wasn't chewing properly. That was a few years ago though and I'm a vegetarian now
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.