Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Its nightime again and as usual I am anxious. My son has been unwell with a virus(not stomach) for nearly 2 weeks. He is actually much better in himself now apart from a cough which just wont go away. It is not too bad during the daytime, but at nightime it has been making him v*. I have tried my hardest to keep calm about it, but I really am struggling.

Last night he hardly coughed at all so I assumed he was almost over it, but tonight he is coughing again. I think I know what is coming next.

I really do have a problem with nightimes. I am always too scared to go tosleep for fear of what may happen during the night. Since my son had a sv back in November I have been even worse. I am taking hours to get to sleep and waking several times during the night convinced one of my children are ill. I wake up in the morning feeling like I haven't even been to sleep. Some nights I get less than 3 hours sleep just because i am worrying so much about my children. Hopefully things will get better when my husband is home in another week, but probably not as then I worry about him too.

I am going to have to go and check on my poor son again as heis still coughing. I wish it was morning.

I'm sorry to hear your son is sick. Has been to the Dr. ? If the cough is lingering for 2 weeks I would bring him in and get it checked. Maybe they could give you stronger cough syrup. Poor thing. How old is he? You should prop him up at night. I know at work when my kids are coughing during naptime I prop their cot up and it helps them. Hope the cough dissapears soon..You are doing great coping with it...Let us know how he/you are both doing.

I know what you mean about the coughing!! My hubby, daughter, and myself are all getting over a sore throat//cough thing too. we would be over it 100% if it wasn't for the long-lasting cough!! Nighttime is definnitely worse for some reason. My advice is to have his chest and head elevated as much as it's comfortable for him to fall asleep, and that may help some. My daughter is 15, and she told me that if she weren't emet, she may very well have v*d while coughing too. She stopped herself as she is afraid of v*. I would also, just lay a trash bag, covered by a towel, under him in case he does v*. Does he have a vaporizer in his room?
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I know how you feel Curly. Try not to worry about the cough, it's just mucous dripping down from the back of his nasal passages. If it continues though, might be worth getting him checked for asthma. My daughter has this alot. She doesn't have asthma but she does have sensitive airwayswhich are easily inflamed. She has a steroid inhaler for when it gets bad.

How you given him Tixylix? You probably have. You could always try another dose. It will be safe - the dosage on OTC meds is always way below whatyou can safely give. It won't do any harm, just might knock him out!

He will settle soon then you must rest. Once he is sound asleep, he won't cough anymore.

HI Curly, I'm sorry to hear your son has been so unwell. My daughter is currently ill with a bad chest cold, she started with a low grade fever lastnight. Last year, around this same time she had broncholitis. It's much like bronchoitis but effects the smaller sacks of the lungs causing a lot of causing bad coughing and wheezing. My daughter had this is the past and she would v* after a hard coughing spell. Last year, when I took her to the dr. he prescribed Albuterol Sulfate.(She doesn't have asthma.) He gave me the vial form to use in the nebulizer, he said it was more effective then the liquid form that you can ingest. Within a 2 days of doing a treatment at three times a day she was much improved and the violent coughing stopped after the first treatment and her fever went away in about a day. I still have the nebulizer and a lot of the albuterol left (it has a long shelf life) and started her on treatments yesterday. Her condition is viral so he gave her no antibiotics but the albuterol has been a lifesaver when she has a chest cold, as she doesn't v* anymore when having a bad chest cold.

I also use the vaporizer at night with vicks liquid cough suppresant and I kick the steam up for her by adding table salt to the water.

I know you are in the UK but maybe if you talk to the doctor he can prescribe the albuterol. It doesn't have steroids in it and my daughter has never had an averse reaction using it.

I too am like you at night and experience a high degree of anixeity. Despite Kayla waking up at 2 am and complaining of being hot and assuring me her stomach was fine, I still couldn't sleep until about 4 and then I had to get up at seven to get my son ready for school.

Best to you all and hugs to you and your son!!

Sally, I hope he gets better and that you can get some rest!!

I amvery sorry your son is sick again...i remember the last time and how bad it was for you both. I hope that he gets over this soon. I always hate the coughing too, it always makes me nervous....good luck, and i'll praying for you both.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Thankyou everyone for your kind words and advice. He managed to get through the night with no v*, so that was good. He did not settle until almost 2am and then my early bird daughter was up at 5.30am as usual, so not much sleep again. I did take my son to the doctors just over a week ago when he was really unwell and they told me it was a virus, but I am thinking if the cough continues I will take him back. He has been fine all day today, much more his old self, but now he is starting to cough again. I am already dreading tonight. I am going to ask my mum if she will come round for a few hours as that might help me to relax a bit, knowing I am not alone if it does happen.

zane, I hope your little girl is soon feeling better and that you have a better night tonight.

HI Sally, by all means, ask your mum to come help for a while. I will bet that will make you feel much better. I also agree that if he doesn't stop soon, take him to the doctor or at least call and explain. Hope you feel better about it all and get some rest. Take care,,</font>