Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all!

I am flying overseas for the first time in a few weeks, from Australia to the US. I'm just wondering how you all cope when you are on long flights.

I get bad panick attacks when I am in a confined space. I get scared because if someone V*s I can't get away like i usually would. I already have sanitising hand gel, I carry that everywhere anyway, and I will be getting some of the disposable toilet seat covers too.

I fly every year from Los Angeles to Tel Aviv. It's about 15 hours. I take dramamine to help take the edge off. I do not get motion sickness, but the pills help calm me down because they provide some reassurance.

I always make sure I have a ton fo reading material. Just 1 book or a few magazines isn't enough. I need to have variety. Of course I bring my iPod so I can just chill out and listen to some tunes because that helps too.

I think you'll be fine. Just remember to get up every so many hours and walk around.

Hi Tooscared, I confess I haven't actually flown anywhere, but at the end of the year I'll be going to the UK from australia - so we're in the same boat!

Just want to wish you a safe and enjoyable trip! Being another first time overseas flyer, I would love to hearhow it goes for you[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Let us know!

\"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I totally understand the whole not having anywhere to escape to thing about flying. I haven't flown in a few years, not since my emets got bad. Though i'd def agree with reading material and music, music because at least you wont hear anyone else cough which might set you off in a panic or something. I'm sure it'll go fine, let us know.

I totally understand! The worst part of flying for me is not being able to get away if someone v*. That said, I fly a lot. I did the US to Australia, Australia toUS trip last year and it was really fine.

I do have some coping strategies, however: I take a Gravol (it's a Canadian brand anti-n*) even though I don't get motion sick, it helps to calm me down and (hopefully) make me sleepy. I wear loose fitting pants so that I can curl up quickly, a sweater ("jumper" in Australia?) that zips up to a sort of turtle neck so that I can cover my mouth/nose if required,my iPod so that I don't have to hear anything that's going on and magazines to keep my mind off things. The worst part is probably the descent, where you can't have any electronic devices on. During that part, I like to look out the window, take deep breaths and count to 10 in my head(it's how I calm myself down, especially if someone is coughing). If flying alone, I preferthe windowseat for several reasons: 1.you're only beside one person, you can plug your ear on the window side and do one will see (I have learned to plug my ears discretley) 2. you can look out the window 3. you are away from whatever happens in the aisle. I got through a pretty bad panic attackwith these techniques. Of course, these measures are only required if/when you get panicky.

Will you be flying Qantas? My experience withQantas was amazing. The crew was really, reallyfriendly and theyhad so many movies towatch on the back of thechair, that I was really sort of disappointed the flight was over!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!Edited by: denise246

I take bonine, it works for 24 hours.I also take a blanket (the airlines have really crappy ones, not to mention the germs). I take a book, magazines and my gameboy (I don't think you can take those on anymore though). If they have a good movieI will watch that. Sometimes i will take flexaril and just sleep through the entire flight!

I have only ever seen one child v* on a plane from motion s* and I have been flying regularly fo over 20 years! How about seeing your doctor, tell him your fears he can give you something to calm you down and help make your flight more pleasant!

I flew from Canada to Germany 4 years ago and it was an 8 hour flight. I took Gravol right before I got on the plane. It help me ALOT. I also had my headphones with me. I either listend to my music or watched the movie. I even got some sleep in. It's really not that bad, you will do fine. Enjoy your trip!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've taken MANY planes and I've NEVER seen ANYONE v* on any flight....the chances of you seeing that happen are very slim!!

I take gravol before I fly as well cuz it helps me sleep!!

I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Gravol.....it works wonders....takes away an nausea and makes you sleepy. Books, watch the movies and if you are travelling alone, I find striking up a conversation with the person sitting next to you (if they are into it) helps too....take your mind of things. I have done MANY long haul flights, as find once you get up there, things seem a little better....its the anticipation that is the hardest.

Marie - you say you go to Tel Aviv every year.....thats great! My hubby is from Israel and we travel there a lot as well. Are you from Israel, or do you have family there? Isn't it an amazing country...I know people have formed harsh opinions about it, but honestly, I love it....would move there in a second....but hubby won't move back! His whole family is still there, so we try to visit as often as we can. In terms of flights there, we always get the nightmare route.....eg. Vancouver to Seattle, 5 hour stop-over in Seattle, Seattle to Amsterdam (9 hour flight) 12 hours in Amsterdam, and then Amsterdam to Tel Aviv (5 hour flight). It is brutal for jet-lag....lol

I have not been on a plane since 1999[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Well I have to confess that I haven't flown since my emet got bad. Not by my own choice, though. I simply don't have enough money to travel anywhere.

However, the last time I flew it was 4 flights total there and back. I was traveling to Tulsa, but the only way to get there was actually through Houston, so I ended up switching planes once on the way there and once back.
    I ripped a DVD onto my laptop and took it along with me, so I got to watch a movie eventhoug there wasn't an actual in flight movie provided by the airline. It was great for passing the time. Just remember to bring headphones! lol

Also, if there's the option of sitting next to the emergency door....I'd highly recommend it. I did on one of my flights and there was so much more leg room. I felt a little less trapped that way, not to mention more comfortable.

I've only ever flown long flights, Seattle,WA to Europe. Yup... disgusting. However, for me the worst part was the n* from my anxiety. It's sad cuz I had 1st class seats and everything, the seats that turned into a bed... but I couldn't get comfortable because I was sooo nervous. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been anxious I wouldn't have been n*. I cried when the plane took off lol. but it really isn't that bad.