Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Hi guys,

Just noticed that some folks including newbies are starting discussion on the "stories of being cured" thread - since I want that thread to be ONLY stories of people being cured, or brief responses, I'm just moving the comments over to here.

SAGE

I just discovered this site and I am amazed..I thought I was the only one with
    this phobia. Thank you Edited by: sage

Hi Sage and all,

I found this site about two weeks ago and I am amazed and relieved. I realize now I've been emet since I can remember! I don't remember the first time I was s* but I'm pretty sure my parents didn't respond well to it, particularly my father who is also probably emet (he hasn't v* in probably twenty-five years). I have so many of the indicators that all of you have! My parents are constantly worried about me, the fact that I constantly worry I'm getting a sv* and go on fasts that actually make me feel worse! They are sure I have an eating disorder. I've been to doctors for constant n* and what I call "stomach pain" for lack of a better word and no one can find out what's wrong with me. I have been terrified of v* my whole life!
    I am a very strong-willed person and am proud to be included in the ranks of you all because you all seem to be strong-willed, determined people and it is good to know I'm not just a "hypochondriac", I'm not in the least scared of any other types of germs.
    The good news is that I have been cured through exposure at least of the fear of watching other people v* or hearing it. And believe me, anyone can. I was absolutely terrified and shaking in the past when I heard or saw someone. Kids at school used to even tease me when I was in the bathroom alone and come in and make sounds to freak me out. But then in college I spent a lot of time on sailboats (probably in an attempt to face my fear head-on) and one evening another crew member was terribly ill and I was on watch while she v* over the side for six hours, less than a foot away from me. I can tell you, I was about to jump over the rail at first, but I was more afraid of drowning (I know we all say "I'd rather die than. . ." but I don't think we really will when it comes right down to it.) Currently I am a teacher and face v* in others on a regular basis. I know I've been cured of that side of it, because seeing or hearing it doesn't bother me anymore, but I still freak out anytime someone has a sv* that I might catch it, I do the whole thing: obsess, go through the fasting, the handwashing, have lists of "safe" foods, constantly worry about real or imagined symptoms. Sage, one thing you said really rings true for me. As a child, I was (or at least thought I was)chastized if ever I v* myself, was treated like a second-class citizen, banished, kept from playing, eating, etc. My fear, I think, stems from the fear that somehow if someone knows I have v*ed then I will be condemned. Only once in my life do I remember NOT fearing v*, and that was one time I woke up early in the morning, went to the bathroom by myself and did my thing and no one ever knew, and I never told anyone. I want to desensitize myself, I want some help, I want to beat this. It is so wonderful to know I'm not so strange after all! Thank you! Thank you!

Stephanie
    v*-free for seven years/determined to beat this thing.
    Sage, does beating emetophobia mean v* more regularly or what? What exactly? I mean, sometimes I am genuinely s* and I just can't make myself v* even though I know I will feel better afterward. It is like giving in. I hate that feeling of fear, that loss of control. But to be cured, what would that be like? I actually found this site because I was feeling so bad I was looking up ways to make myself v* and then I just couldn't do it. Then I was frustrated, wondering "What is wrong with me? Why can't I be like everyone else!"
    It is good to know we are not alone, and it's okay not to v* like everyone else.
    Steph
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by annesmith72
    Just found this site tonight because DP is feeling unwell and I was starting to panic
    </span></font>
    I found this site for the same reason! I figured I needed to find some ways to cope b/c I'm afriad my husband seeing my anxiety about his condition will cause him to V*. Which obviously I don't want to happen...

Unfortunatly, I am not ready to seek treatment, the thought of having to be exposed to it in anyway causes me to panic.

I haven't had any children yet, but my husband wants to try, I'm terrified to...b/c of the obvious-morning sickness &amp; then sick kids. I wonder if I can handle it.

It is good to see there is help available, for when I'm ready, because I thought this was a phobia that wasn't recocgnized as a ligitimate one.

Hi guys,

Just noticed that some folks including newbies are starting discussion on the "stories of being cured" thread - since I want that thread to be ONLY stories of people being cured, I'm just moving the comments over to here.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.