Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm supposed to be looking at different universities and trying to land on one to apply to but even if I forget about the whole scariness of university itself, I have to decide whether or not to apply for teacher training. I really, really want to be a teacher and I think I'd be good at it, but I know its a very dangerous emet area so I'm almost unwilling to commit to the training while I still have this phobia.

I don't want to let this rule my life but I don't want to work towards qualifying for a career that I might end up being too scared to pursue.

Help.

Teaching is an awesome career! If you really want to be a teacher don't let emet stop you!! I used to teach preschool and it was awesome. I was gonna teach elementary school but I had my own kids and decided to be a stay at home mom. (which I love better than teaching). But really if you love it go for it. I never once got sick with anything but a cold from my students I believe because of my hand washing. You don't want to be older and think that you didn't do all you wanted to do because emet got in the way! Good luck!! I am sure that you will make the decision that is right for you! ~Brandi~

You can do it! I am an emet teacher and there are others here! PM me or e-mail if you want to talk more about it!

Mary
    Edited by: harmonygirl72
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Live your dreams thats all i can say !

I think preventing yourself from doing this because of your emet is only feeding your phobia and you'll probably regret it in the long run.

Go for it...as long as you have good hygeine practices then I doubt you'd catch anything from the kids.

~ Kimmy ~

I agree I'm unlikely to catch anything, and if I did I'd deal with it, but I'm scared of seeing it too. Harmonygirl what do you do when kids v* in class?

There are ways around it. If you see a kid sick in class; call upon somebody else to deal with it. After all your responsibility is with the rest of the class. If you're honest about ur disability right from the start there shud be no problem whatsoever.

Do NOT let emet take away your dreams.

Please go for it. You can do it. You can do anything you put your mind to.

xox
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi, Hannah,

In all my years of teaching, that has only happened really one time, to speak of. To be honest, I ran out of the room. I had a student teacher in the room who stayed, but I was right across the hall from the office, so I told them what was going on and they came to my rescue. They were all so supportive of my fear and from then on would warn me if there was a sick kid in the office, etc. My biggest piece of advice is to tell the people you work with about your fear. It has helped me so much!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

hun - think about all the things you WILL gain from Uni.. Uni teaches you things outside the books for sure.. you may find that as you grow through it, you become more able to handle life's problems - I know its that way for me. Its given me ALOT of independance and has been an amazing experience.

Ive lived in residence for the last two years and I LOVE it. its amazing. I think once you get past your first semester ( thats the toughest time, they say) this will all be a walk in the park for you.

if you really want to be a teacher.. dont let this pass you buy. You can handle it.. one step at a time. I promice.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Hey hannah, i just started uni in september and i have to say it is the best thing i have ever done. I have gained so much independance and freedom and made some fantastic new friends. I would say DO IT! I have never enjoyed anything so much in my whole life - uni rox!! I was so nervous beforehand and homesick in the first week but i think living away from home has also helped me gain a little closure from emet because i have been taken out of my comfort zone. Dont let emet stop you, you wouldn't want to regret it later in life. Good luck and if you wanna chat or have any qs pm me! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hannah - how you coming along with that decision of urs? x
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

hey Hannah,

go for it! dont let the emet stop you!

University was soooo much fun and some of the best years of my life. the course is naturally important, but there are lots of other things to get involved in as well.

personally, my emet was at its lowest at uni, purely coz i was so busy and my mind was constantly busy.

just try and look forward to visiting the diff unis and finding out abt the courses.

Ems x

"Live life, Don't let life live you"