Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Cured?

Well, not quite.

I haven't been on this site for about two years, but over that time, my emetophobia has improved so much, but I can't exactly put a finger on what did it. I used to be pretty bad. I wouldn't put anything into my mouth that my fingers touched, I counted everything I ate, I was a wreck during flu season, whenever anyone said they felt sick, I'd question them endlessly. God forbid anyone actually v*, I would go insane.

I didn't have any therapy or medicines, but over the past two years or so, things have just gotten lots better. I still MUST have a flu shot, always carry hand sanitizer, and don't like the idea of v* at all, but at the same time, I can eat with my hands, share drinks and utensils (that was a huge step), calmly turn around and cover my ears when I see someone get sick (which is more often than you might think, seeing as I run cross country and track), baby spit up doesn't bother me a bit, and I don't worry as much when a friend gets sick.

The only thing that still bothers me as much as it did before is when my brother gets sick. But that's sort of how all this got started when I was five, so that's to be expected. I will freak out and go into panic mode when he gets a bug, and just a few weeks ago, I listened to my iPod on high volume all night, shaking, after he got sick once.

I'm not sure what made me this much better, but has anyone else had experiences like this?

-Anna

Hi rhino!! I remember you!!

I am so glad you are doing better!! I have found with myself, that just over time, and experiencing sv's for myself have really helped me a lot on my perspective, and emet has taken a back seat for the most part (course there are other issues vying for driver seat!) but yeah sometimes I think just over time you realize things and experience things and it helps mellow you out more. Good to see you on here again!!

Hi there - long time no see! It's great to hear you have been doing better, it certainly sounds like you've been handling things so well - good on ya! I think it's understandable that if your phobia stems from your borther getting sick when you were young that is still gonna be a biggie when it crops up. Remember baby steps - it's not possible to conquer everything at once, you have to work your way up, dealing with things and improving bit by bit. You've come so far, keep that in mind, and I know you will continue to build on that!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I'm glad you are feeling so much better and in control. No, I can't really relate, sorry.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Well, since I was last here, I haven't been sick at all, but experiencing sv's-- I can see how that would at least temporarily make things a bit better. Since it isn't nearly as terrible as we all convince ourselves it is!

However, I don't think I'll be around to much. The whole out of sight, out of mind thing, I suppose. But I just wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing

-Anna

Hi Rhino,
    I'm glad you are feeling better. My emet comes and goes. Iwill go for a few monthsfeeling ok and then it comes back for a few weeks.