Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: SV* question

I'm curious - if the SV* grows in the small intestines, how come some people v* and don't have d* with a SV*? It seems like you'd be more likely to have d* and no v*.

Well I thought v* was just happends more in children. I know you definetly get d*, but I don't think you always get v*. And I also think that some people have sensitive stomachs, and if they feel even a little nausous they v*. And some people don't care about v* at all so if they feel sick they v*. But I see your point, I don't know how you can't get d*...Unless those people are just too embarassed to say they had it??

I can only remember having 3 sv*s in my life, and I only had d* with one of those. I'm not sure why that is, though. I think it's just different for different people, and depending on what strain of the virus it is.
    *~Ashley~*

If you need someone to talk to, private message me! =)

I don't know either. The only thing I can think of is that there's no evidence that a person had an "sv" or norovirus unless a specific lab test was done to determine that. Just cuz it was going around, and one person happened to be sick at the same time doesn't necessarily mean they caught it.

The other possibility is that peoples' immune systems work to kill off the virus without them getting diarrhea, but the tremendous immune response causes the vomiting.

Just a couple of ideas.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your ideas everyone. Personally, I've always had d* with a sv*, but I know people who haven't. For example, when I worked in a nursing home and there was an outbreak of sv*, some of the patients had only d*, some only v*, and some both.

i have no idea. All I know is that when I v*d I had pretty much no time to prepare. maybe 5 seconds at the most

My friend, his wife and their son had a sv* a couple weeks ago.

the husband only had d*.

the wife only had v*

the son only had v*.

go figure.

Did they pass it amongst themselves or did they get it at the same time?

Elizabeth, the virus is absorbed through the small intestine but that doesn't mean it only affects the small intestine. The body reacts to the virus as if it's been poisoned and causes vomiting and diarrhea; however, as has been noted many times, some people are more likely to only have diarrhea, particularly emets who are highly resistant to vomiting in the first place and have learned to keep themselves from vomiting when they feel like it.

Some people only vomit, but I know less about this because as an emet I have made a special interest in studying the vomiting behavior of people and am not particularly interested in how or whether some people can keep themselves from having diarrhea.

And some people only experience the viruses subclinically -- they have no symptoms, but they can pass the virus along to others. I think many of them are emets.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I will take d* over v* ANYDAY[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

LMFAO ME TOO!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]