Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I did get some sleep after taking the dog out.....but when I woke up in the early afternoon, I felt even WORSE! The thing is, by that time the tylenol and codeine would have been out of my system, and this nausea came in waves, and the smell of the bathroom (bath products, soaps, perfume, etc), just made it worse.

Since I only had some saltines and ginger ale in my system, my stomach brought that up first......and then I basically heaved for about an hour. I sent Chris to the pharmacy to ask the pharmacist if there was anything I could take- he said that I needed to get to a doctor for possible dehydration, and that I could take one child's chewable Gravol in a very low dosage, just to get me there.

So, once again Chris bundled me up, and off we were to a medical clinic, where I waited for about 2 hrs before seeing a doctor (it was one of the few clinics open on a Sunday). To my great happiness, she prescribed an antiemetic, Diclectin, which was made for pregnant women. LOL- the pills even have a little silhouette of a pregnant woman on them. I can take two before bed, and apparently that will help prevent nausea and vomitting in the morning. Also, if it reappears, I can take two more during the day.

All in all- it was a horrible day......but in some ways I am relieved, because if I am getting morning sickness, it means my body is doing what it's supposed to. Also, since taking a diclectin, I am feeling SO much better......to the point where I am even sipping on a boost plus calories to get some nutrients, and it's staying down!

I also have to say, that this shouldn't discourage any women who may want to become pregnant, because, as my doctor mentioned, only about half of women experience morning sickness, and of that half, very few experience it severely and prolonged. Also, the pills that were prescribed are definitely doing the job- and are 100% safe to take. I am even going to go into work tomorrow after calling in today, as I am confident that they will do what they are supposed to. Sipping cold, COLD water during the worst waves of nausea also helped a lot as well, as it removed the gaggy feeling in the back of my throat.

So....morning sickness 1, Amber 0 - but what can you do! Chris walked me around the baby section of the department store while we were getting the prescription filled to cheer me up, and it definitely worked

Hope everyone else was feeling better than I was today!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bless your heart.

get up slowly in the mornings.

i would keep an ice chest with ginger ale by my bed so i could sip 1 and eat some crackers. it seemed to help.

good luck sweetie. it will ALL be worth it!!!

did the dr give you a due date yet>

it does get better. around 12 weeks or so into it...it goes away:P

Aww, I am so sorry hon!! It WILL get better, and you are right, ms is a good thing, means everything is going well!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amber,

I've been there. Three times. I managed not to v*, yet, (I'm still pregnant with my third). I've resorted to drugs with the past 2. Zofran is my very best friend, with Meclizine being a close 2nd. I have also taken Protonix for heartburn which really helps when the baby gets big.

If you are N* or V* for several days you can get dehydrated and weak. I definitely recommend going to the hospital to get an IV drip to get rehydrated. I absolutely refused to eat/drink for a while with my 2nd, and after an hour or two on the IV I felt terrific and started wanting to eat/drink again.

I hope you are better soon and the medicine continues to work!

BandNerd
    BandNerd

aww I hope you are feeling better really soon, and i know you arent scared of yourself being sick as much as others but i still wish for you this will pass quickly. Im glad the doc gave you some diclectin, please keep us posted. feel better !

Hey Amber,
    I am sorry you had such a misreable day, but in a way its a good sign because its normal for your body to do this. I am glad tho that you can take something for it so that you can function easier. I know you aren't as scared of yourself getting sick, but its still downright misreable to be like that, and it won't last forever. Hang in there!!

Ugh I am sorry your feeling bad. There is an end in sight I promise[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

That totally sucks, Amber. I wonder if the Tylenol "hangover" contributed to it. Although the codeine would be out of your system, the caffeine can linger for ages, and that can cause nausea in pregnant women for sure. You might not have any further trouble with it once you're not taking the other meds.

You're tough as nails, girl! You'll do fine! Take care and God bless...
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hey Amber
    The doctor put my sister on those pills. She was sick morning, afternoon and night before the doctor put her the meds. Worked great for her. She lives in the same city as you and Chris!
    You will feel better.

P.S
    Thanks for your help!!

I had those pills, I didn't go a day without them. I still wonder if I would have gotten sick if I hadn't taken them because I feltpretty grossall day. I hated the taste of those pills, it was enough to almostmake me gag.

Suck on some sour candies if the nausea doesn't go completly away. It helps.

Also ginger!! I can't stress ginger enough!! You can
    get ginger altoids in the store and keep the tin in your purse and
    whenever you feel a little icky just pop one in your mouth and it helps
    ALOT!!

Also ginger tea, etc.

It works wonders!!

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

~ Kimmy ~

I feel for you, too!! I am in my 3rd trimester w/ my 4th--and I get "night sickness" since I don't have any room in my stomach and fill it up too much if I eat at night--I hate it!! But, it does end!! I'm glad you are so positive about it and that the dr. took you seriously and gave you something for it! Keep us posted on how you are feeling!

Hi Amber,

I've been gone a while, so I missed the announcement. Congratulations! I guess I can't add too much to the already good advice. I've heard of Preggy Pops that are supposed to help with nausea. They helped my mom through chemo.

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude. That always helps. It's SO worth it!

- Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

Hey guys- Thanks for the messages- I'll give a little update!

I haven't vomitted again, but I do get definite waves of nausea. It never fails- every morning I wake up at around 5am and feel nasty, tasting everything I ate the night before. I do try to take the pills only sparingly though, as most of the time I try to combat the nausea on my own. Kelly, I hear ya about the taste of those pills, but I love the fact that they are so small I can take them without a drink. Really useful when travelling, one of the few times where I feel I "need" the pills. The last thing people on the bus need is me getting sick all over the place, lol.

One thing that I have realized that I can't take though, is ginger. I used to be able to take ginger pills and juice with ginger root in it to help with nausea, but now it gives me wicked-painful heartburn/acid reflux. I also have a hard time with anything sweet- I have tried the preggie pops, and the only one that I found helped was the lavender. I think I may order a bag of just that flavour- the other flavours were just too sweet for me! Which is completely weird for someone who used to love junkfood.

I have found that perrier water and lemon helps a lot- and believe it or not have becomed obsessed with grapefruit juice! I am also eating a lot of indian food and pasta- but haven't had a dessert in weeks. I tried to eat a cinnamon bun the other day and it made me gag.

I have my first OB appt on the 15th, so we're getting excited. We're hoping that we'll get an ultrasound, and hopefully a more accurate due date. I ovulated really late inmy cycle, so the date from my last menstrual period and the date from when I actually ovulated are about 8 days apart. So, at the moment we are going with a date between those two, to be revised once they do the ultrasound and give an estimate based on that

Donna- so NOT looking forward to that, haha. BUT, at least then I'll be able to feel the baby moving around, and the anxiety of "will I miscarry" will be gone. Looking forward to that!

Bandnerd- if it does get really bad (there may be a resurgence, as I just hit the 7th week mark, where it tends to get worse for many women), Chris will drag me to the hospital and put me on IV- he has already threatened to do so The joys of being engaged to a nurse!

Sage- I am also wondering if the caffeine hangover may have just exacerbated the symptoms. I have felt nauseous since, but not THAT nauseous, so it may have been a factor. I havent had to take another tylenol 3 since, and I'm hoping to not have to !

*amber*

ps- haha- check out my siggy for the 7th week! It should have been for the 5th week, lol

Don't worry Amber, you will be able to handle sweets again shortly! I am the biggest sugar junky and I could even think about sugar for the first few weeks. Now, that's all I can think about!!! LOL

Amber,

I haven't been able to get on this site for quite a while, so I missed your announcement! CONGRATS! Welcome to the club of the baby-in-the-belly.

Diclectin was my best friend. LOVE THAT STUFF! With my first, it definately cut down on the v*ing. I didn't v* at all with this pregnancy, I asked for the Diclectin as soon as I got a positive. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

It will get better. I promise. You are in the "rough" patch when m/s is concerned. Take it one day at a time. You will find foods/drinks that help as you go. For pregnancy #1, bananas helped. With thisd one....Pepsi. Can you believe that? [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] Stay hydrated, that is KEY to helping the n*.

Hope all goes well with your first ob/gyn appointment. I go next week (again) and have to have a test for GBS. But, he is gonna check my cervix, and, hopefully, I am starting to dilate!! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Sorry I neglected to reply to this post. Life's been a little crazy. What worked for me during some of my worst n* during pregnancy was ice. I ate it all the time and it seemedto help. Just don't over do it. It can actually inhibit iron absorbtion. And I agree with Kellybean about the sweets. At first I didn't want to hear the word cookie, but that's all changed now. Here's hoping you are feeling better and ravenous very soon. Keep us updated.