Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Old Lettuce

You know how lettuce starts to look brown after a little while?

Well is eating a lil brown lettuce gonna do any harm? It goes bad so quickly and I try to eat it all before having ot throw it away and it gets a lil brown...it that gonna cause any probs...it's just lettuce but ya never know.

Hmm I dont think it would as long as you don't eat a lot of it, I know what you mean lettuce goes bad so fast.

Im sure you will be okay , i have eaten a lot of brown lettuce and i have always been fine. just think of it a bruises.

I've eaten it too, but don't like the taste of it. Are you talking about iceberg lettuce? I know that goes bad pretty quick. Why not try soe romaine lettuce next time--I fund that it stays fresh longer. Also, I have a salad spinner and "spin" all of the water from it, which also helps
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Do you store it in the salad spinner or transfer it to something else?

Quote Originally Posted by worrygirl
    Do you store it in the salad spinner or transfer it to something else?

I store it in the spinner. It has the "holey" bowl inside the solid bowl, and a storage lid, so after I spin it, I drain the icky water and store in the fridge. I love it, and it really does preserve the lettuce longer, and no more watery dressing!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Thanks, now I want to get one!

Actually, the only real worry with lettuce is usually just washing it off properly; otherwise lettuce doesn't really harbor harmful bacteria the way poultry or beef does. That browning process you're seeing is mostly the result of gases and nothing to do with anything that could make you ill.