Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have always thought that my emet started when I was 5 years old, and constantly felt sick for about 2 months. But lately I've been wondering if maybe I had it before then, and that 2 month period of nausea just made it worse. I can vaguely remember one time when my mom had gotten a stomach bug, and I remember whenever I went near her room I would hold my breath, close my eyes, and cover my ears. I think I was about 4 years old then. Though, I don't remember freaking out as much as I would have after than 2 monthes of nausea. Do you think it's possible that I had the phobia before, just not as bad?
    -Anna

It's quite possible. I can't pinpoint exactly when this fear became horrible for me. Theres so many times I can remember being scared.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Yeah, even though the first time I remember being obsessively afraid was when I was 5 and got sick in the mall, I do have vague memories of before then that makes me think it existed earlier back. Maybe you're born with it? Who knows, I just wish it would go away, I don't care where it came from!!
    ***Jackie***

My
    mother told me that my grandfather was afraid to v, but wasnt so afraid
    of others doing it. He never did it because he was so afraid and was
    picky about eating certain foods. I am wondering if some are
    genetically predisposed. Then if that is the case, one traumatic
    incident does it for you for good! Terrible huh?

Miriam

</span></font>

None of my family are emetophobic, so I know mine isn't genetic.

I understand what you mean by thinking you got it at a certain time, then remembering earlier fear. I had always thought it had started in Feb 1993 (the last time I was sick..touch wood!) so I would've been 10, but a couple of months back I was sitting here thinking and I remember incidences of being 5 or 6 years old and being in the bathroom brushing my teeth, then my mum rushing in and being sick in the toilet.

I don't remember being really scared, I was more shocked by it, but I was a little fearful as I went in the next room and cuddled my Dad for a while afterwards.

But if I was in that situation again, I think I would have a massive panic attack and start crying! My phobia has definitely got worse over the years; more so since I had hypnotherpay to try and cure it, that made me 10 times worse.

Hence why I'm scared to try and get cured again - I don't want it worse than it is now!! Edited by: cwarren
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

yus. it is defenitely possible.

i think i was basically emetophobic from birth. but the change in my life (moving schools, area, and county at the sme time) made it blow up out of proportion. before then, i WAS scared of being sick, but it didnt tke over my life.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my dad is like me.. very paranoid about things and makes small
    situations into big ones.. but not about v.
    He once thought he was having a heart attack and almost
    stopped his heart whyile having a panic attack but he was 35
    then so he just was strong enough to overcome it.. he also has
    fears but they are more understandable.. like driving on
    highways.. once he almost got into an accident and eversince
    he didn't wanna use highways and would make up excuses not
    to go on them.. but then hejust forced himself to.. and now he's
    fine...
    my dad is strict and keeps on comparing his fears with mine..
    but mine deal with things that come naturally with humans.. u
    know everyone vomits..and i cant really avoid it all the time..