Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was just eating a burger that I usually get from the same resturant I always do and I ordered it well done of course. When I got to the end of the burger I noticed it was sort of pink, not REALLY pink but sort of, and now I'm freaking out that it wasn't cooked well enough! GRR! I was doing so well and now I'm back to square one! I don't wanna get sick! HELP!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Don't worry!! My husband eats his burgers bloody!! It is totally gross but he never gets sick from it. Try not to worry. I am sure you will be fine

Thanks calibmom24! I just freak out when things are pink! I mean my dad eats his steak when it's practically alive and mooing....never gotten sick....but I freak out! I don't know why!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

My husband likes his hamburgers medium and there is a lot of pink in the middle. He's never been sick from it either.

You'll be fine. I am like you I like my burger well done, my husband has his medium and its very pink inside. He has his steak the same way ewwww, and he has never been sick from it. I promise you will be fine!!! Edited by: sqil30

I would like to add my opinion to this topic. So far, we have replies from some women regarding male relatives eating bloody meat. As a man, I'd like to say that your body does have to build up some sort of tolerance to partially-cooked meat. I don't mean to scare the original poster, but unless you eat pink meat often, you may in fact get sick from it. Everyone who described their husbands/fathers who eat red meat need to remember that they've been doing it for years and have grown a tolerance.

However, there really isn't that much to worry about if it's only slightly pink. Beef cooks completely at about 160 degrees Fahrenheit. At this stage, most beef can still be slightly pink and germ free. Most fast food restaurants cook their meat to past 170 degrees more to ease the concerns of customers. A medium-well steak is cooked enough to kill basically all of the bacteria. So, unless your burger was actually RED, you need not worry.

In fact, if you want to avoid these panicky situations, try to order some medium-well meat when you go out to eat. After your brain lets go that pink meat is bad, move to medium. After time, your body will continue to be immune to much of the bacteria in undercooked meat.

From a taste point of view, you're missing out. I encourage you to fight this fear and enjoy a wonderful culinary experience.

Just keep Emetrol nearby if you feel queasy. That stuff does wonders. I actually carry it with me EVERYWHERE.

Take care,
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by sabre
    I would like to add my opinion to this topic. So far, we have replies from some women regarding male relatives eating bloody meat. As a man, I'd like to say that your body does have to build up some sort of tolerance to partially-cooked meat. I don't mean to scare the original poster, but unless you eat pink meat often, you may in fact get sick from it.
    I thought that the only time you can get sick from meat is if it is already tainted with some kind of bacteria. I mean, all meat is not initially crawling with bacteria or anything. I could be wrong about this, but I've never heard about needing a tolerance to eat pink meat. I know many people who eat rare meat, and I have German relatives who even eat hamburger raw and they've ALL been perfectly fine. I always order meat medium, and sometimes even medium-rare and I've never had any type of issues with it. And I really don't eat beef that often, and usually stick to chicken. So tolerance wise, I really wouldn't have any!!

Edited by: christianne

Quote Originally Posted by christianne
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre
    I would like to add my opinion to this topic. So far, we have replies from some women regarding male relatives eating bloody meat. As a man, I'd like to say that your body does have to build up some sort of tolerance to partially-cooked meat. I don't mean to scare the original poster, but unless you eat pink meat often, you may in fact get sick from it.

I thought that the only time you can get sick from meat is if it is already tainted with some kind of bacteria. I mean, all meat is not initially crawling with bacteria or anything. I could be wrong about this, but I've never heard about needing a tolerance to eat pink meat. I know many people who eat rare meat, and I have German relatives who even eat hamburger raw and they've ALL been perfectly fine. I always order meat medium, and sometimes even medium-rare and I've never had any type of issues with it. And I really don't eat beef that often, and usually stick to chicken. So tolerance wise, I really wouldn't have any!!

Taenia saginata is a bacteria that is in cows that cooking above 140 degrees eliminates. Consuming undercooked meat exposes the person to T.saginata, however most people that eat meat with this bacteria experience little or no symptoms because of a tolerance. Many people do come to the US from other countries and do get sick from T.saginata. Raw meat is not sterile. Just because bacteria may not exist naturally in the meat doesn't mean that raw meat is not a breeding ground.

Chances are you and your relatives were </span>exposed to bacteria and just didn't have any types of symptoms.

I have eaten some of my husbands pink steak before, and I NEVER eat my steak like that, and I have always been fine.

Hmmm I dont know about all this raw meat eating...but what I will say is just think about in the 80's when it was cool to drink raw egg protein shakes to get beefed up. Eww...Also as long as your burger reached 160 degress on the inside, pink or not, then it should be fine for eating. It needs the internal temperature to be that to kill anything bad...and most medium or even medium rare beef is cooked like that, so it is safe to eat...I learned all this in my culinary safety classes.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i know i know im an emet, but if and when i do eat steak or a burger, i HATE when it's well... theres got to be a little pink, otherwise theres no flavor and ive yet to be sick!

I very rarely eat red meat but once in a while I'll have a bite of my b/f's VERY rare steak and I've NEVER gotten sick from it before. I wouldn't worry!!
    ~ Kimmy ~

I would not worry, my brother and stepdad take pieces of the hamburger before it even is cooked. They are grosse and dont get sick.