Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Triumph?

Okay, so it's ironic that this happened today, I'll get to that later.

But anyway, my brother had been feeling a little under the weather, and had gone to bed pretty early (well....early for us at the moment is midnight). Anyways, I'm on the PC (looking up psychology and phobia therapy stuff, wouldn't you believe) and it must have been about half three in the morning (since it's 3:39am now) when he came out of his room, pale faced, and I was like "should I go upstairs?" and he mumbled something and wandered to the mini-bathroom we have in the garage (which is next to the computer room)

I thought "screw it, I'm waiting upstairs, I'm not ready to handle this yet". I went upstairs (rather calmly, not running away with my hands over my ears like I usually do and did as a child which I think is quite good for me) for a few seconds, and then came back downstairs.

Of course I came back too early, as I heard him cough and make a weird noise so I thought "eh, I'll go back up" and went back up and washed my hands (as you do) and then came back downstairs and was all like "hey, you ok?" and he came out and was like "jeeez" and I was like "did you v*?" and he was like "yeah." and suprisingly, I didn't panic as much as I used to. My panic level just sorta did a slight dull bump as opposed to the usual lightning bolt.

He said "I'm gonna get some water or something" so like, we both went upstairs, and I told him to sip, not glug, as you do. Anyways (I feel a bit bad for the slight rapid-fire questions) but it seems like he'd woke up feeling a little weird, and then he rode out on his bike (the weather has been unusually cold and rainy these past few days, and this is Spain we're talking about) and after he came back, he felt like he had a fever and his chest hurt, so he went to bed (and he tells me he had a dream about rapping with a bunch of black rapper people, he says he "always has weird dreams when he's ill" hahaha) and then woke up at about 3ish like I detailed before and you know the rest. He says he feels better now though, and just has a headache.

but yeah, I gave him the last of my Pepto-Bismol (which I'm surprised I did, as I don't usually hand out my anti-emet stuff, especially the last of it) and stayed upstairs with him, and didn't panic when he blew his nose, or washed his mouth out with water and spat the water out of the window. I did wash my hands afterwards (no biggie about that) and I had a minor panic attack (I was trembling even though I wasn't that scared, you know the post adrenaline tremblingness? I had that mildly, with a couple of butterflies in my stomach) but I KNEW that was just me panicking about him v*ing.

Also, usually my mother would have taken care of the v* stuff since the only thing she pretty much hates is snot, but she's in England at the moment (long story, parents have separated and we're all moving back to england since the "living in spain" dream is dead, my mother was the first to go back) so I was the one who had to deal with it, which was also a good test.

I even joked with him about it, he was sipping the water and went "oh no!" and pretended to v* again on the floor, and I pretended to walk up to it and slip in it.

I also feel better for myself since my first thoughts when I ask him "do you feel better now" aren't because I think "oh no he might v* again" but because I genuinely wanna know if he feels better (since we might be going out tommorow to get his guitar set up)

And usually, I wouldn't be able to calm down for the whole night, but here I am, typing this out, calm as anything. He's in the room behind me, sleeping well. I'm even writing about it and not freaking out, which is miles from what I was like a year ago.

so yeah, a triumph?

(also I call this ironic because today I was looking on here and thinking about how I'm gonna do a medical or psychological degree (I have yet to enter uni) and become a p

I would definitely call that a triumph!! You did a wonderful job taking care of your brother and it sounds like you're handling everything perfectly. The fact that you were even to make a joke out of the situation is great too!! Way to go!!!

Hope your brother is feeling better!!

That's huge...good for you, you did great. I know how hard it is to
    cope when somebody in the family is sick. It's amazing how we can
    handle it, even though it is sooooo hard! Good job!

zomg, like I found out that he v*ed a couple of times more after that [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

He feels a bit bleh this morning, but I'm just trying not to freak out too much, since it's just pretty much me and him in the house at the moment, and it's not fair on him if I just freak out and run away. I'm just keeping my hands washed and keeping them away from my mouth for the minute and hoping I don't catch whatever this is as well, because that'd suck with plans I currently have (moving back to england soon). Also if I felt like crap then I wouldn't be able to take care of him and stuff.

We still don't have a clue what could have caused this v*ness, he reckons it was something in the air when he went out yesterday in the rain, I reckon it could have been something he ate.

But eh, I'm not panicking as much as I usually do and keeping things calm (even though I'm not eating as much, but when someone else is ill I never eat much anyway) which is good. ^_^

so like, thanks for the positive comments christianne and susie_q. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Argh, the old fears are all coming back and it's somehow turning into a pitfall of sorts.

I've just realized that part of my fear stems from being trapped with the person who is ill, which usually was my brother. Back when I was young I had to share a room with my brother (my sister got her own room for some reason) and every night he was ill, I'd panic because somewhere in my subconcious I remember being trapped in one way or another whenever someone were to v*. Once I asked if I could sleep in a sepearate room for the night, and my parents refused, probably not understanding my emetness at me being 13 years old. >_>

Of course, it's sods law this time that my mother (the one who usually deals with all this) is in England right now, and my father isn't doing anything at all to help. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] So I'm looking after him.

And it's the old "trapped" syndrome again. I know I shouldn't call it that, as it's not his fault, but still. ._.

I'm a little bit panicky because he's been ok most of the day, he had a little bit of cereal this morning, but now feels "weird and crap" and he's even got the dreaded "bowl" out (another thing I hate from childhood) "just in case" he tells me.

I feel crap because I can't sorta be there like my mother would. ._. and I'm washing my hands and stuff and hoping I don't catch this because I go to England on the 9th February and it's just what I don't need. Edited by: xexxhoshi