Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

HI everyone! Was wondering if any parents out there has decided not to have more children because of emet. I mean, maybe not all of the reason, but a factor. I got remarried after my first hubby and father of my two boys passed away, and he had teenage daughters and has been dad to my boys ever since. I told him I would have a child with him, then I backed out. There was the whole not wanting to be pregnant thing, and then the thought that he may love his biological child more than my boys, etc. But one of the factors was that if one of my kids gets a sv, its already torture waiting for it to move to the other one, which honestly it doesn't a whole lot, but the anticipation is like peeling a bandaid off so slowly. My kids always got sick so much more when they were babies and toddlers and preschoolers, I mean it has slowed down by more than half as they have gotten older. So do you think about emet if you have more kids, and do you think about not having one specifically to avoid the stress of illness? I read that question and someone with emet might think I am crazy, but its a real concern to me, or I guess I should say it would have been before my hubby got a vasectomy.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Janna

Janna! I am going through this exact issue right now myself. It's hard because emet is not the only reason that I am not sure about having more children, but I would have to say it's probably one of the leading reasons why I am aprehensive about it. I know that being around kids makes me a lot more nervous of a person and I don't like 1) feeling that way and 2) portraying that nervousness to the world. My daughter is 10 now and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel- the thought of doing this all over again seriously gives me heart palpitations. I'm not kidding- I went to the obgyn last week to discuss the subject of pregnancy (because my hubby wants just 1 of his own) and my blood pressure was up and my resting heart rate was 113. It scares the crap out of me.
    But I should report that after my obgyn appointment I went to my pharmacy guy and got fish oil, folic acid and mega vitamins to get my body ready for pregnancy- so I think despite everything else I am going to do it. I think..... I don't know.... I keep going back and forth.
    My main concern is that my emet wasn't really bad until Jade was 2 1/2- so through all of that putting everything into the mouth phase- I really wasn't a freak about it. I know that with this baby I will probably be really freaked out about stuff like that and I don't want to be. It's just stressful....

\"This too shall pass\"

Yes! I do not want to have anymore children because my emet has gotten much worse since havingmy two. My son has had it* three times, he'll be 4 in March, and my daughter has had it* once, she'll be 2 in May. I can't handle it when either of them gets sick and then I just wait in agony to see who will get it next. I would love to have another child or two but my emet keeps me from doing so. My husband doesn't want anymore kids so that helps not having anymore! My emet tells me that the more kids the more sv*, so I will not be having anymore!

My husband and I have always just wanted one, which is good that we were on the same page. But if he did want more, it would be tough for me because I would be worse than I am now with my emet due to the fear of sv* spreading to the other child. It seems it is almost impossible to stop the spread among kids. It's easier for mom and dad to avoid.

Whereas I have always had a fear of others v*ing, I did not begin to obsess about it until my dtr started getting sv* year after year when she was a toddler. It was never this rampant when I was a child so I never dreamed my kid would get it as much as she has. She is 6 now and the thought of having to start all over with another child not being able to tell you, controlling it, etc really freaks me out.

I have one daughter and the main reason I did not have another was that I would have to deal with the sv more often. My husband left the decision up to me, but I never told him why. I do sometimes regret not having another, but not as much as the comfort of knowing I only have 1 child to deal with. I know in my head that is an extremely silly and selfish reason, but that is the decision I made. You are not the only one.

I have to say that I am relieved I am not alone, I'm sorry that you all have to have these feelings as well, but I did think a few times I was so alone on this. I was freaking a little because I am about a week late on the old time of the month, but hubby had a vasectomy. I still was panicked, but took a test and it'll be two glasses of wine tonite, yipee! I just kept having the thought of how I really did not think I could handle a toddler with the whole sv thing. Like I said, the older my boys are getting, sad as it is, the less they get sick and when they do, its four or five times of v*, not thirty. Of course, when they're really young they seem to be less traumatized by it. My kids would v*, then go back to playing. Now, they seem a little shell shocked by it. Shiva, I so know what you mean. I always think if I got pregnant, I'd have nine months to work on the emet. I've said that twice now. Thank you everyone for your replies! Janna