Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Graphic

Well, as you all know, I posted earlier this week about feeling like a horrible mom because my daughter was sick as a dog - and I was unable to help because of my emet.

Well - my emet may be over and done, let's hope...

Last night, exactly 48 hourse since my daughter's sickness, while I was making dinner, I suddenly felt "wierd". I took some Dramamine immediately with lemonade. And I waited for the feeling to pass. It didn't. I became extremely nausous and began to have very bad d*. I nausea was unbearable. For two hours, I sat on the couch and repeated over and over to myself - "I refuse to allow myself to vomit". Yeah right...

I began to feel the taste of acid in my mouth, and I burped a few times. I succummed to the realization that I may have to v* afterall. I did the walk of defeat onto the bathroom, cleaned off the seat (after 29 years, I'll be damned if I was to v* in a yucky bowl!). I sat down, and I waited. I had NO IDEA what to expect since I was 6 years old the last time I v*.

My tummy made a strange "leap", and I retched - I guess. Nothing came out. I then thought - "Hmm, maybe I won't v"---------- Blam! OUT IT CAME!

I couldn't believe it! I v*! and I lived! In fact - it felt great! I cannot believe I am saying this! I'll never drink lemonade again. Not for a while anyway....The nausea disappeared after that bout. It was like someone flipped a switch.

The rest of the night - I felt achy and I had the chills. That was the worst part - not the v*.

You know, I sat there, last night after the episode, and I was reflecting on how this "fear of the unknown" ruled my life for so many years. I was in shock at the simplicity of it all.

V* is a bodily function, that cannot be "talked out of". Your body knows what it has to do in order to feel better.

Well, let's hope my emet is over. We'll see...

Nichole

congrats! that is awsome...im sorry you had to v*, but i mean this is like the best opportunity to be able to live a normal life! yesterday i was thinking about how my life would be different if i wasn't afraid of v*...but yeah...congrats and i wish you the best!
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good for you Nichole!!!(Not for being sick of course) You handled itso bravely-I'm inspired. There is ALOT of talkof this virus going around at my kids' school. I hope if one or both of them and/or I get it, I'll be able to be strong too!
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

I'm sooooo happy for you!!! I really hope you emet is gone. Honestly, wat v* really that bad?

This sounds stupid, but it is soooo inspiring to read posts like this...I am of course sorry that it is at the expense of you having to v*, but it is good to see that people CAN make it through and it gives me hope that when it happens to me again I will make it through also. You are right it is all of the anticipation fear and fear of the unknown. I am still deathly afraid, but this gives me hope. I am sorry that you had to go through it and I hope that you go another 29 years...more than that, I hope that you can make your mind realize this and remember that it isn't that bad and no longer let it affect your life. Good job!! Congrats!! (I know that probably sounds stupid.)
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

Great positive attitude!!! If you keep realizing those important thoughts, your emet will surely go. Keep us posted as to how you are feeling.</font> [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

i hope you are well today!!!

You did really good!! I know what you mean about feeling like "that was what Ive been afraid of for so long?" because thats how I felt too when I was sick. I think the thing is we forget what its like. I really hope for you that this makes your emet a lot better. Can you now tell the difference between the "real deal" nausea, and anxiety induced nausea?

yay!!! you did it, like me!!! haha by the way, now that I think about it, it's not so bad after all. When I made my thread about my experience, I was still feeling pretty n*, btw. The taste/smell wasn't even as alarming as I thought it'd be [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]hehe. By the way I v*d in the sink. and my mom got mad hehe cuz she thought I'd plug it, mind you, I was v*ing large quantities... but I'm PICKY about where I v*. to me, the location makes it more traumatizing.

Wow! 29 years...I thought I had a long time with my 19. It was the same way with me. I started having a stomachache and took Dramamine, thinking it would go away. And it didn't. I couldn't go to the bathroom though. I had to do it outside. I feel too confined in the bathroom. Weird. Funny, you mentioned lemonade. I had Lemonheads candy the night I v*, and it used to be my favorite. Now the thought of lemon flavored anything grosses me out.

Anyway, I hope with all my heart that your emet gets better now. I wish v* would have helped me get over the fear, but it didn't. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] I agree that theaches and chills was the worst though. Having the fever and body aches the next day was so awful. My bones literally ached. It really sucked. I guess that's part of getting older or something. I don't remember feeling so much pain being sick when I was younger. Blah.

Hope you and your family are feeling better now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haha, nice one, Nichole! So glad this experience has helped you with your emet. You're so right - we make it out to be much, much worse than it is, so when it actually happens its a kind of "Is that it?!?" moment.

I think its great that you took it all in good humour, too - as best you could, anyway! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Hope you're feeling better now, and that you can continue to remember that it wasn't so bad after all.

PS. 29 years, wow! Thats an achievement! I'm on 12 this year, I think.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Quote Originally Posted by gemini72

I began to feel the taste of acid in my mouth, and I burped a few times. I succummed to the realization that I may have to v* afterall.

I'd like to ask how you succumed. What happened to the feelings of terror ? if i felt on the verge of V* i would of been screaming and running. I am believing that it's not that bad but i don't think i have any control over the panic. Posts like yours help me more than you know and for that i thank so much. Congratulations on dealing with it so well. It has been 36 years for me.

way to go....!!!! that's so comforting to hear, it really is. I hope that you will take these lessons with you and feel better in life.

I'm hitting 29 years in October, so I can't say that didn't scare me.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Thanks so much everyone!

I am so glad that my experience has been an inspiration to you guys! I know how you all feel, and if anything I've done helps to alleviate that fear - all the better!

cloughie - I was terrified all through the nausea. All of a sudden, I just "knew" that my body had to perform this "act". I have heard it posted before on this site that the body just goes into "v* mode", and I have experienced it. When your body goes into v* mode- it's not just physical it's mental as well. You will know. Your anxiety takes a back seat. This calmness comes over you - I called it defeat - but it was really a calmness that everything was fine, and, just as we have to pee when we get up in the morning, my body had to v*. - and it felt so good - like that morning pee! And everything will be FINE. You'll amaze yourself! Really - you will.

Oh everyone - I spelled Reign incorrectly. I'm a TERRIBLE speller - if you haven't already known! Sorry about that one!!

Galadriel - Yes - one can the difference between anxiety-induced nausea and the "real deal" nausea. Anxiety-induced, for me, is a bothering little sensation, that will always go away if I take a Pepcid AC. Always. The "real deal" sv nausea, was quite different - I had a flush of heat overcome my body along with the nausea. The nausea was much deeper. It affected my whole body. I couldn't walk, I couldn't move, I had to lie down and stay STILL. With anxiety-induced nausea, we can still function - it's just uncomfortable.

I really hope I helped you all out with your fears. I've lived with these fears for so long. These fears have made decisions for me, they have ruled my life. I REFUSE to allow this to run my life any longer! Of course, I still wash my hands like CRAZY and I am still a germaphobe, however, it's a incredible feeling that rests in the back of my mind that if I should ever be sick again, it will be FINE, I'll feel better and better yet - I'll live!

ROCK ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Nichole [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

What an inspiration you are!!!! My husband keeps telling me this, that once I V* I will realize it's not that bad..But I kept telling him he was full of it, I still hope I don't for a LONG time, but if I do, I hope he is right and it's not a bad thing for me!

You are awesome!! *HUGS*

I can't thank you enough for posting this. I've been reading posts this winter of fellow members of this site experiencing vomiting and not handling it well at all. It makes me feel a little discouraged when I read that but at the same time I'm glad they post the truth of how it felt.

I'm glad you are feeling better and congrats on doing well with your fears. I've been told by everyone I know that I will feel relieved when I finally do vomit because it is no big deal. I hope so!!

thanks again!

Thats great! Im happy for and you are a huge inspiration. One day surely we will all be able to feel the way that you do.I cant wait until that day comes. Im so happy for you ! It must feel great! lol .. I feel wierd saying this but congrats on puking lol

WOW!! That's such a great thing to hear from an emet!I hope that if this happens to me, I will feel the same way as you.

So you aren't afraid anymore?

Awesome job. Bevery proud of yourself.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Ohmy...I'm glad to hear you made it though and were so positive about it!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

at least you handled it better than I did!!

I always hate reading about people's experiences, but it is awesome to read about someone getting through it and not totally flipping out about it. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable moment that it could happen to me, but I am feeling more positive that I CAN get through it.

you will get through it IF it ever happens. *knock wood* hoping we'll all be fine for a long time. I do feel more vulnerable now than I did before, but I know that at least for me, I can't even imagine that I was v*ing on this day last week. it all feels so distant now. all I can say is it's definitely a lot more traumatising to dry heave for pretty much an hour from dehydration (back in 2002... last v* episode before last weeks) than to v* for a few seconds from sv*.

Wow Nichole - well done on getting through it so well and coming out the other side much stronger.

It's been really scary to seeso many break their 'records' for not v*. I've not done it for a long time and I did wonder if my body might have 'forgotten' how to, but I guess that will never happen and when you have to do it, its uncontrollable and you just get on with it. Like Cloughie said, I imagine that I would be running round the place screaming in sheer terror.

It also confirms what I thought about anti-sickness meds, they won't always work and we can't rely on them to get us through the next sv*.

Thanks for sharing and well done again - that was amazing![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

M x

Wow, congratulations! It's always really hard for me when I start thinking about wanting to overcome my phobia. Because then I realize that I'll have to be one of the people who accepts it as being a normal part of life, which I don't want to be, because I'm so afraid of it. My sister had the same thing happen to her a few years back. I never knew she was afraid of it until then. She got sick and said that all of the fear was gone. It must still be, because she flew to Costa Rica a few days ago, which is something I wouldn't dream of doing. Thanks for sharing. Next time I feel icky, it'll help to know that it's possible to survive without wanting to kill myself.

My latest accomplishment seems so small in comparison to yours, but I washed my sons blanket this morning. I didn't throw it away. It may only be because I don't have any extras left, but it's something. I've actually gotten used to it with him, since he's been sick for almost a month, and I'm pretty sure it isn't contagious.

Congrats again!

Katie

WE should sticky this topic for inspiration!!! That is amazing!! I hope I can make it 29 years, I am at almost 22. We'll see--with as much as my kids barf, it'll be a miracle!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm back at work today (I'M an Elementary Art Teacher), and I'm still cool with myself and v*ing. However, I don't think I'm cool with OTHER people v*ing.

A third-grader v* in my art room today. PHEW! It was NASTY!, But I handled it like a champ.

I'm still nervous about caring for my daughter also. But time will cure that fear - until it happens!

I am so relieved! I cannot tell you how overjoyed I am at this happening to me. I know it sounds CRAZY - but I'm glad I got the sv. I needed this to happen to me to overcome my fear.

People at work think I am certifiable because I am telling everyone I see - "Hey you - I v* after 29 years and I'm fine with it!" It's like that commercial with the guy who's telling everyone he dropped his cholesterol!

PM anytime guys if you want support!

Nichole

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

gemini-

you are way stronger than me! i keep telling myself it will be ok if it happens, but i am so petrified of it happening. I also worry because i always convince myself it isnt going to happen. I cant go sit in a bathroom or by a trash can because it makes it worse for me, so sometimes i worry if it does happen, then i wont be able to make it. That seems so much worse in my mind bc someone would have to clean it up, and I surely wouldnt be able to do it!!!

awesome! i too vomited the other day 4 times. it wasn't bad, and i felt great afterwards. hopefully i won't fear it anymore. but congrats!

christina

What a great story[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] May we all be so lucky someday!! But I would still rather give my left eyeball then v*[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]