Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Terrified

I finally became a member tonight! I have visited this site and read lots of stories...I'm glad to know there are so many other emets. I have been suffering with this phobia since I was 5 years old. I am now 32 and it seems to be getting worse as the years pass. It is paralyzing me socially.I won't go out with my friends andrarely eat out anymore. I recently built a new home with my boyfriend and he became ill last night with v* and d*. I wanted to quarentine him to the bedroom and he thinks I have lost my mind! He doesn't understand this illness and how terrifing it can be. He thinks I am really overreacting and he said "you are a grown woman" you need to just deal with it. It's not that easy. I have been cleaning everything with bleach and have washed my hands until they are raw. I also sleep in a seperate room and use a seperate bathroom. I recently made an appointment with a Psychiatrist, I hope he will be able to help me with this. My first appt. is FEB 13th and it can't come soon enough! Thanks for listening!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Welcome to the site and sorry your going though that situation right now. I hope that the psychiatrist is able to give you the help you need.

Thanks! I hope so too! I don't think I can take this much longer.

Welcome![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

psychiatrist or psychologist? bc a psychiatrist (in my experiences anyway) is less likely to listen (appts. are much shorter) and more likely to prescribe meds, they don't really take the chance to get to know you... a clinical psychologist will actually listen and get to know you and teach you ways to cope with your anxieties and refer you to a psychiatrist if meds may be needed... i've been seeing a clinical psychologist for about 12 or 13 years now off/on (sometimes once a week, sometimes once every three months or even once a year depending on my level of anxiety) and she's been wonderful... i only see a psychiatrist when i need to have my dosage changed or i need a new script, and usually the psychologist will make that call because psychiatrists don't really counsel.

Welcome to the site! I am sorry you had such a rough time with your bf. I bet when he gets a cold he whines like a little girl, when he next gets one tell him he's a grown man and to deal with it. See how he likes it!

Welcome! You will be understood and supported here!

I agree with Lauren, a psychiatrist will only sit there and want to prescribe meds - which I take! However, a psychologist will give you coping skills to help you change your behavior (try to, if you're lucky it will work!).

Believe me, we ALL know what your'e going through - what you're living with. Yes, we've all been called "crazy" and "insensible" by people who love us and who cannot understand this phobia we live with. It's OK, you're with "Your People" now!

Welcome!

Nichole

Thanks to all! It's nice to have a support group. Thanks for the info on the Psychiatrist/Psychologist. Hopefully the Pshychiatrist can refer me to the correct person to help me with this. I have been to counselors in the past and they were complete jokes...they were just watching the clock and taking my money! This phobia seems to be getting worse the older I get. I've been under lots of stress lately and I'm wondering if thats whats making it worse???? I just hope with proper treatment it will get better. Thanks again!

Stress can definately make it worse! Seriously though, meds could really help you. I take Zoloft and Xanax and they are a god send! I hope that you find the help that you are looking for!

I'm new to emetophobia.org. also. I didn't know that it even existed
    until I googled something relating to fear of v* this morning. I'm
    definitely afraid of v* or seeing others v*. I'm especially afraid
    because two out of the four people in my household currently have some
    sort of stomach virus and they've had d* and v* for a few days. It
    started out with one coming home from a business trip last friday and
    experiencing severe d* for three days, until yesterday when he v*. The
    second person had d* for two days and started v* yesterday also and
    cannot keep anything down without v*. I'm severely afraid of catching
    this, so I've tried to quarantine myself and I'm constantly washing my
    hands. However, I'm so terrified of hearing anyone v* or seeing it,
    that to even sit in a room with my family that is currently sick makes
    me cry and get very upset. I've sprayed Lysol cleaner on all of the
    doorknobs and bathrooms, but I'm still concerned that I could get
    whatever it is they have, even though when their symptoms started on
    Saturday, I wasn't home that entire day and didn't come home until
    Sunday afternoon. I am hoping then that it means that I missed the the
    incubation period of the illness. I keep worrying about it and I
    halfway think that my worry is going to make me have the illness. I
    cant stop shaking and I often feel like I'm sick, although logically I
    know that it is just probably nerves. I just can't seem to calm myself
    down. I'm driving myself crazy thinking about the illness and worrying
    that I may also come down with it.

I know how you feel. The only thing scarier than myself being sick is when somebody in my family sick. I constantly worry I am going to get it. I wash my hands every 10 minutes, I don't touch anything and I don't even sit in the same chair as a sick person has sat. I am sorry that I don't have any advice on how not to worry, but just know you'll get through it. Just keep practicing good hygiene through all of this.

Welcome to the site.

Its such a shame that we never appreciate being healthy because we're too worried about getting sick. I spend so much time worrying that someone in my family will be ill, when really most of the time we're all perfectly well. It's so irrational.

hi to the newbies! Welcome to the site. There is some good information to read up on, if you haven't yet, on the Treatments section of this discussion forum - on sticky posts at the top.

Any help that we can be, just ask!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just want to say..welcome! And Perhaps with your man you could tell him if it was that easy to sort out your phobia you would've by now! We all would have and there would be no more emetophobics!!

Also .. is there something he is a bit frightened of..my husband hates spiders...and I said to him "okay let's cover your head with spiders, and maybe a few up your armsand you can try living with them on you for 24/7..!" Actually he kind of gets it now!!

And yes definitely the clinical psychologist...very helpful.