Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This isn't exactly about being s* per se so my apologies but I've been having some real trouble lately.

I've been ill for over a week now (took pretty much all last week off college) but I felt better over this weekend. I thought is was just a virus, I was achey, would get headaches, stomach pains and n*, the usual. (I manage to go to college Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon but never managed a full day).

But now the stomach pains have yet to stop properly and I keep getting rather n*. My stomach sorta feels bloated (please note that this is usually after I eat but even if I eat something light it tends to happen) and almost swollen.

I thought it was just wind because I kept feeling the need to burp, but the belch would come up but then just cut off in the throat so i wouldn't be able to release the trapped gas. After a while I can usually burp but at first I just can't, for about an hour or two I can't burp at all.

Sorry to be gross but I'm having rather bad toilet troubles too if you know what I mean. I don't need to go more than usually or anything but when I do go...well....there's alot and it's kinda....well I won't say more but it's not normal I can tell you. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Anyway the reason I'm asking you is because I asked somewhere else and one person said I should go to the doctor because it sounded like it could be something dangerous.

I'm also concerned because I have MOCK exams tomorrow and Tuesday and I can NOT miss them.

I'm wondering if it's IBS or something.

I just wanted a second opinion is all.

I had something similar to this about 16 years ago. I was ill feeling like you are for about SIX WEEKS! I finally went to a doctor, and it was his diagnosis that I was having anxiety issues. He prescribed me Ativan and it seemed to help...I was convinced that I had a virus and it just kept hanging on, but I was also going through a bad divorce and had decided to give my ex-husband custody of our son....you guessed it. because of my emet!!

It sounds to me like you may be under some stress what with college and your MOCK exams coming up...could even be IBS...I'm not so sure I don't have a bit of that as well.
    \"Nothing sets your spirit free more than the free spirit of a horse.\"

It does sound very similar to IBS. I have IBS and stress/anxiety can play a BIG part- when I have IBS problems. Try to eat bland foods, stay calm (smoking and alcohol and caffeine make it much worse), get through your exams then go see a doc if you are still having problems.

Are your glands(sides of your neck) swollen because it sounds a little like mono. My neice and nephew(different sides of family)both had it over the past few months .
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

what happens to you is exactly what happens to me when my anxiety is full blown (not even when i'm having a panic attack per se, but just when im more nervous about things than usual)

Hey devil mushroom,

Are you anxious about anything at all? Exams? Have you been getting enough sleep? Because IBS tends to strike you while you're down, I've found! I only get it when I'm extremely wound up about something, so if this is the first time you've ever had something like this - don't worry. It won't be there forever. It just likes to creep up on you when you're nervous.

The first thing to do is remind yourself you're ok [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]If you can relax a bit, you're sure to feel alot better. This is what happened to me last year. I had the exact same thing as you during my end of semester rush, but as soon as I walked out of my last exam - I was cured! It's a matter of controlling those automatic negative thoughts. In my worst moments, I'd just calmly tell myself "I'm allright. This is unpleasant, but it isn't life threatening. I can carry on doing what I normally do. This isn't going to hinder me." Repeating this sort of thing to myself helped me get through my final essays and everything, even though I felt absolutely awful.

PM me anytime for a chat, if you're feeling worried =)
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

My anxiety would flare up at weird times when I was younger and I always found that the best cure was laughter. Oh I know it sounds hokey but if I felt stressed I would spend a weekend with my best friend at the time and we would just laugh for like 14 hours straight! I ALWAYS felt better after that! Now when I get stressed I watch stand up comedy (Although you are in the UK and I don't seem to get their humor very much but hey if it works for you then go for it) I hope you feel better!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I'm curious, can depression cause it?

I don't suffer from depression myself (at least not a bad case of it) but lately I have been very down, namely because a teacher I love at college is leaving and being replaced by an abosolutely sh*t one. I guess you could say I was anxious about the future if you wanted to include anxiety but yeah.

Would that cause it?

Well, when I was first in college, the first winter I felt awful. I was exhausted all the time and achy and just felt like I had a virus that kept hanging on for months. Went to the doc several times and was put on several antibiotics that did nothing, and when it got warmer out I felt like myself again. The only thing I can think that it was was depression (maybe SAD). It was really horrible, and I had no idea that depression could make you feel so physically awful as well. So, it could be depression.