Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'll come back to this in a few weeks once Ive moved n got settled back up north, but I wanted to run it by u guys, see whether ne1s done nethin like it before, or got ideas about where I could start.

I wanna do somethin about raising awareness about emet (n phobias in general). The websites n ppl who write into magazines n stuff are great, but theyre not enough- emets somethin serious n real, at its worst more debilitating than being in a wheelchair, but even the ppl who are the worst off with it, dont get ne preferential treatment, cuz ppl dont get it, cuz theyve never been taught. I wanna make ppl see it as somethin real, a disability if ya like,or at least know what it is, the same way they do aracnophobia n fear of heights.

So.. yea. I wanna get articles into as many mags as possible, cuz thats a good idea, but I wanna do somethin else too- like actually goin into skools n youth clubs n talk about it or somethin. maybe even set up a kinda activity day, were we spend say a hour teachin ppl about emet, n then jus make it a social, n go out n do somethin. These are the ideas Ive got from tryin to get ppl interested in other youth projects Ive worked on, n of course its easy to find fundin for youth projects, but there must be funding somewhere to do somethin like this, I found a project that spent £600 on teachin me to drive for gods sakes! theres gotta be some money out there for somethin this worthwhile.

So what I really wanna know, is dya have ne more ideas bout what I could do, orwhere I could try for funding- how dya apply for a lottery grant for example? Maybe we could even get funding for a residential convention thing, where us lot can get together n share expiriences n ideas n stuff. If we were workin on a awareness project chances are theres some pot of money out there thatd fund us to do it. Edited by: Eternity

Hi Eternity-

I'm not sure how new you are, but Sage from this site is working on a book about her experience with emetophobia (at least, that is what I understand). She has alsotried writing Oprah, but from what I understand, nothing ever came of it. Anyway, I think your ideas are great, and maybe once Sage's book comes out, there will be more interest and funding for your ideas. Good luck!
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

Yes, all these are good ideas, Eternity. But let's not anyone hold their breath. As for TV - I was told by a publicist that no one wants to run a show on "vomit" because it would get bad ratings (no kidding). Also, despite the fact we've all found each other on this site, emetophobia still IS rare. It probably only affects about 1% of the population (so like, 99% DON'T have it, know about it, understand it or even care). I try to raise awareness of ALL anxiety disorders (because they're basically all the same, just with different 'triggers').

If you look into speaking to youth, etc., Eternity (SUCH a good idea), try to educate yourself on the nature of all anxiety disorders. They're very common, yet most people who suffer from them don't have any idea or information.

Also, you gotta ask yourself - what will be your message. Will it simply be that such a phobia exists ("you are not alone" kind of thing)? What if people want to seek help...most people with emetophobia CAN be helped, and can overcome it. You'd probably want to apprize yourself of local treatment programs, hook up with some mental health people or something who could offer their services.

Anyway, great idea...go for it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think a show on Anxiety would get good ratings. Not just on emetophobia, on all phobias. I'd watch it.

I'd tape it and watch it over and over.

I agree with you Sage, people don't understand or care about it. I have less than supportive friends, even after I've told them about it, explained to them, they just make fun of me! That hurts, how I take the time to try and explain how it is a real fear. Their response? "WEll you just gotta, like....puke or something, that'll help".

No. No it won't.

Hi Everyone
    I am new here, I have also joined 'no panic' which is a voluntary self help system to help ppl with phobias/ocd/panic etc.

I recieved a booklet about medical phobias cuz emet comes under medical phobia, it's actually more common than we know.
    PPl just dont talk about it enough. except on here of course.

tracy

I think thats a good idea, because nobody takes this very seriously.

Well, there have been a few things on the TV about it. Emetophobia was on this show on the discovery channel a while back, about the top 10 phobias. It didn't go into great detail but at least it was something. Also there was something on english tv I read about. I dunno how effective that really is though. Perhaps if it was on like 60 Minutes or 20/20, I think that would be a great thing if it got on one of those shows.

I think someone needs to do a video documentary, that is most effective I think. Global has had a few really good independant ones, one about depression comes to mind, and it was really great.

But yeah, I think TV is the most effective way. You can only get to so many people doing talks and whatnot, I mean just think about how many average people bother to attend such things.

I want to see this be considered more of a disability, so a person could get on disability with this. It's very very hard to work when this is at its worst, and nobody takes it seriously enough.
    what a horrible night to have a curse.

A documentary.. a tape.. yea, hell, theres short movies n stuff like that on tv late at night all the time over here. n who watches tv late at night? emets!

But we'd haveto do somethin else first, Im guessin, convince them it was a serious thing... ya really think a whole 1% of the population is emet, sage? thats not a tiny amount, thats huge, thats millions upon millions of people. n how do ya count anyway? Look at me- noone really knows Im emet, only ppl Ive met online. Im not included in that figure. Neither is my brother who asks whats wrong with me n whether Im ill if I even lie down on the sofa during the day. Most emets dont know theyre emets, n a even smaller number are gettin help etc- so whered that figure come from??

Youre right about doin about other phobias tho- Id be bored myself talkin about only emet, n so would the ppl I was talkin to- I was thinkin more along the lines of findin out what ppl are afraid of, n explainin how phobias occur in general- nice n interactive that way- which helps with young ppl. That way I can bring in emet without it being the main thing. Thats maybe better.

Also ya right that I need to learn more myself before I try n teach other ppl- I did know loads when I was doin psychology, but that was years ago n Ive forgot plenty, n theres even more that I never learnt in the first place. Wheres good places to start lookin for info? ne1 know ne sites? or books? or ppl willing to post big long entries/ email me with stuff would be kool.

n Sage, I think I disagree with ya that MOST emets can be helped, I think some can, its more about the right person at the right time than anythin.. but I like the idea of teachin somethin about what help there is.

I saw this vid once, in skool about a lil boy who was terrified of dogs.. n some guy who was scared of heights n a few other ppl, I forget, n it was how they overcome their fears etc. The vid was about 40 mins long, n noone moved, noone talked. Youre underestimating ppls interest in these kinda things, ppl are fascinated cuz fear is one of the most primal n strong reactions we have left, n ppl dont understand it, so theyre interested. Most ppl are afraid of something. Most ppl can empathise to some degree. Try to tell someone about your fear, n theyll maybe look at you like youre crazy, but ask them what theyre afraid of, set context, n suddenly their perspective changes I think.

Oh, n where can I find info on 'no panic' plz?