Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was chatting with one of area school nurses, who happens to be a friend of mine. She said she sent out a memo to the parents today about strep. She said half of the sv cases that come into the school nurse's office areare turning out to be strep. She said that initially they think it is a sv, but after a few days of feeling ill and/or return of symptoms they find out it is strep. OMG. I know we can take care of regular strep, but there is a deadly form of strep that kills within hours. It basically shuts down all the organs down and antibiotics don't help.

According to my friend sv ARE going around big time and seem to be on the upswing not the downturn (atleast here in MD). That said, there is a ton of strep. UGH!!!

Stella

I heard the same thing today......about the amount of sv and strep being rampant. Also the flu.

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=13475&a mp;PN=1

Please put a warning on something like that or post it with scary news!
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

yes i heard its on an upswing here in MB too , seems like its everywhere right now just when we thought that sucker was going away !

Well, count me in on one of the strep cases. My daughter woke up yesterday morning complaining of her stomach hurting and crying....usually that is the start of you know what....she had an almost 103 fever and was begging me for a drink. After finally giving in, she kept it down, but had no appetite all day. In the afternoon her fever went back up and then started complaining of the stomach ache again which eventually was followed by a run to the bathroom. She only got sick once and then seemed better afterwards. Hubby took her to the doctor this morning as the only thing she complained about yesterday other than her stomach was her ear hurting. I thought ear infection, but nope, doc took one look in her mouth and said strep. They ran the test to confirm and yup, we have it again. She got it four times last school year. Each time we have had it, it has presented completely different. Only once has she had a sore throat with it. Twice I've thought it was a SV and it turned out to be strep. I think a SV makes you get sick more often in a finite time.With strep it is more sporadic. Hubby came home and said the doctor said their officehas been so busy the past two weeks....the worst they've seen it in awhile. Of course, if I was there, I would have questioned the doctor as to every illness they are seeing.....my husband, not so much. He just shrugs it off. Anyway, she was much better this morning even before starting the antibiotics. I feel bad banishing her to her room, but I don't want to take the chance of her infecting the rest of the house.

that is amazing she had no throat pain at all. glad she's on the up and up.

Wow! I havent heard about the deadly strep. I have heard about sv being bad... but not in Maryland yet.

Its normally bad here this time of year anyway. UGH! I HATE this time of year.

I'm surprised with that many sore throats they don't take out her tonsils. Kim

That is SO weird.

I've had strep 4 times in my life, and I never got sick with v*ing. I remember I did feel kind of sick, but I was well enough to eat normally and keep it down.

As for the deadly form of strep. First of all, I'd like to know where you heard about this. Make sure your source is reputable. It's true that antibiotic resistant bacteria is more and more common, but that sounds like a classic fear mongering tale.

Edited by: chicajojobe

that sv going around scare the heck out of me! I work in an office with 300+ people and one bathroom with 3 stalls (which is never properly cleaned) i have already gone into the bathroom with 4 people v*ing!

Yes, there is a deadly form of strep, it does exist. A mother of three kids died in our town a few years ago from it. One of her kids had strep, it got in through a cut on her skin, she became very ill and her organs failed. One of those unfortunate rare incidences, but it does exist in the environment.

Oh well, that makes sense. My skepticism was about how common it is.

Just like how flesh eating bacteria exists, but it's not an everyday occurence.

Correct [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

where i live several schools in surronding areas have closed because of the flu.
    ♥Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

I had no idea strep could be like that. I thought strep throat only meant you got a really bad sore throat for awhile. Maybe strep affects different areas of the body (like strep-throat is throat focused, is there then a strep- stomach or something?) Or is it all just the same old strep throat doing all this? Thats something.

I don't know much about strep, but I remember going to the doctor once, and him telling me that if you don't take the proper medication to get rid of it, strep can infect your heart somehow. I'm not sure if he just told me this to make sure I would take my medicine ( he knew how I was about meds making me n*) or if its really true. but ever since then, if my throat hurts......I call the dr!

Oooh. That's terrible, I feel very lucky that I have immunity to that disease... I've never gotten it in my life and my brother used to have it every year or so. Since we shared drinks and all I'm fairly certain I have immunity. x3
    Every day we live is a battle won.

There are many strains of Strep. Classic symptoms in children are different than adults. My DD only had the sore throat once. Now, whenever she gets a fever and complains of a stomachache, I take her in to get a swab. Last year was just a fluke with her getting it four times (I hope). They were all close together so I'm thinking it was the same infection just not clearing up. According to my dr., they only would consider taking out the tonsils if she got it more than five times in a year. But, honestly, she doesn't really get that sick with it. Only twice has she had a high fever. Once she didn't have any symptoms at all and I had my other DD in for a four day on again, off again fever and she tested positive for strep. Joking with the nurse, I asked her to test my DD based on her history as she was a strep magnet that year and the nurse appeased me, but I could tell she thought I was crazy. Wasn't she surprised when it came back positive!