Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm 29 years old and my husband and I are going to try to start having a child in the next year. I've had this phobia since i was in college which was about 8 years ago. Something just happened, i really don't know what it was....all i know is that it really sucks because i am so cautious of everything i do, but anyway, my question is this,

I will have a child someday and i am curious to know how many people with children actually get sick when their child is ill. How many times do you think your child has gotten sick and at what age's?

My sister is 12 years younger than me (making her 17) and she's only had the sv* one time and it was when she got it from a friend and gave it to the whole family.

here's another fun fact. My mother always cared for me in the bathroom when i was ill and then she would always get ill too. Mydad on the other hand, only once (the above time) was sick with v*. My mom said that it was the only time in their 38 years of being together that he was ever sick like that.

Sorry for all the questions and blabbing but it's very interesting to me. Side note: my dad has OCD and a fear of bridges, as i have OCD and this fear. Coincidence???

Everything happens for a reason...

My daughter is 3, and all 3 times I was with her when she v* with a stomach virus (3 seperate viruses, many times v*ing with each virus). Two out of the three times I caught the stomach virus and I was SO CAREFUL with clean up and disinfecting, but I held her while she v* and I guess I was just doomed breathing it in. She caught the viruses in her preschool program. I tried to leave her in the program, I really did, but the third time she caught a sv* in a year's time, I just decided to take her out for my own sanity. So if you have children, there is a 100% chance they are going to get v*ing illnesses and yes, you will catch some of them no matter how careful you are if you are caring for them when they are ill. If you do not put your child in a preschool or daycare setting you might not have to deal with it at all until they go to kindergarten. But eventually it's going to happen. You'll cope just like we all do. I never thought I could EVER be in the same room while someone is v*, but there I was holding her and talking to her and wiping her up- you just find it in you somehow when it's your own child.

Lisa

My mom always tells me that when it's your own child, it will be different. I really hope so.... I will not put my child in day care, jsut because i won't be working but i don't think i would anyway. That's what my retired mother in law is for when i need her.

Thanks for your reply...i jsut wish this would go away.

Everything happens for a reason...

I really hate to type this for fear of jinxing myself, especially,
    because I am terrified my daughter is going to get the sv. It is going
    around her class and earlier today she was complaining of a bad stomach
    ache. Anyway, my daughter is 9, she got an sv once when she was 3 (only
    v* 2 times) and once when she was 8 (v* about 6 times). Neither me nor
    my husband got it. When I was growing up, I never remember our parents
    getting it from any of us 3 kids. But, I consider ourselves lucky and
    thank god every day!

My mother said that too...when its your own child v* its different but i dunno.

The time that I had the sv* really bad, my mom slept in the same bed with me and never got sick, neither did anyone else in my family. I don't ever remember my parents getting sick, but my brother and I were also really healthy kids. I worry about the same thing...I want to have children in the next couple of years and I am literally scared to death that I won't be able to cut it as a mom...the moms on this site do such a good job with handling it and I just don't think that I will be able to do it. I do want kids though, so I guess that I will have to learn to deal with it! I have the same fears that you do though.
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

it is different....but i am still scared at the same time.

my husband is great and helps....BUT i have been on my own many times. I keep face when they are ill and then when they are sleeping...i let myself cry etc.

i am getting better with seeing it with my kids....but not for myself.

My daughter is 7 and she has had the sv* three times. At 5 she got it in April and v* 4 times. We were in the process of moving, so she was staying at my mom's house the night it happened. At 6 she caught it on Halloween and v* 2 times. She asked for a snack right before...she said she was "half-hungry and half-full". She had it thelast time about 3 weeks ago, but did not v*. The first two times she didn't have d*, but the last time it was all she had. I caught it all three times and all three times I only had n* and d*. This past summer it was so very hot here, and she v* from being overheated. That was bad, because it came out of nowhere-we were in Baskin-Robbins ordering ice-cream when it happened. It took me a while to go back to Baskin-Robbins. She has yet to v* from a cold and she has had 2 or 3 pretty rough rounds with them.

It's not pleasant to deal with your child being sick...but you do. I sorta get this out of body feeling and just go through the motions. After it is over I cry in the shower until I am exhausted. Just keep in mind that kids are healthy a lot more than they are sick, and the brief times they are sick is worth it for the joy and fun times they bring.
    Be Here Now

Yeah- let me add that my post sounds like I just breezed right through the v* episodes. Ha! That is not the case, I was shaking so badly, I could barely hold her up. But the important thing is I did hold her up. That was monumental for me. I do know of members on the board that loose it completely when their child gets sick and they flee the home. I think it is just different for each person depending on how bad your emet is. Something to consider very seriously before you have children. Children v* and that is just a fact of life.

I have two kids, almost 4 and almost 2. My oldest, the boy, caught the sv after 5 days in a daycare at 9 months old. I pulled him out of it the next day. My daughter caught it this last May, on the weekend of her 1st birthday party. Five hours of v* and an ER visit. Happy 1st birthday, right? Needless to say I am now scared of her birthday. My son woke up with it in the middle of the night two nights later. My husband and I felt a little n* the day after my son was sick, but nothing else. Then my son woke up with it again two months later to the day! I was terrified. My husband did end up v* two nights after that. Only about 4 times and he said he felt a million times better. As reassuring as he would like that to be, and me too, it wasn't. My mom helped care for my son that night also and she never caught it. I think I lost 40lbs in that two months. I am very scared that the next time is coming soon. I haven't found a good way of dealing with v*ing kids yet. Hopefully, I will gain some strength from this discussion.

I dont have kids but I am willing to go through anything for my future kids even if it means that they have to get sick on me.Yes, I will freak out and probably have a breakdown after it is over but I dont ever want to show my kids this weakness for fear of them getting it.I dont want to judge anyone or anything this is just my insight into the future thats all. You know I may even be over this phobia when I have kids .....let me rephrase that i WILL be over it.