Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My name is Bridget and this is my first post. I have been reading stories about how people got emet and i want to share my story.

I think I only have had 3 sv in my entire life, I think the last time was in like 6th grade. I have always had issues with v* and have always had almost constant nausea. In middle school, the nausea was usually only at night bc it seemed like whenever someone in my family was sick it was in the middle of the night. As I got older it became a constant thing, but most of the time i knew i wouldnt really v*.

I've never really watched someone v* until about 2 years ago.

*****may be graphic*****

my husband (then my fiance) went to bed with a stomach ache, which of course made me nauseous bc he told me about it, and at about 3 am woke up saying he didnt feel good. about 30 mins later he all of a sudden tried to get off the bed. the bed was in the corner, so he had to climb over me to do it and he only made to the edge of the bed before it happened. I dont know how i made it out of the room with out seeing it or even stepping in it, but i went into the spare bedroom and locked the door. i sat there curled up in a little ball and cried and rocked back and forth covering my ears and singing so that i couldnt hear anything. the floor of our bedroom had clothes and other junk covering the floor (we are both slobs) so everything was covered. I felt so bad, but I had to make him clean it up himself. We had just run out of garbage bags that day so i made him go to the store to get more. Turns out it happened again on the side of the road on the way home. I spent the entire night awake on the couch willing myself not to be sick while knowing it would happen and straining to hear if he was getting sick again.

it turns out, his entire family had gotten the same thing ( we had all just been together) so i was extra terrified of getting it myself. I didnt eat for about 3 or 4 months with the exception of a couple saltines about once a week. Finally i began to eat more, but every time i did i would feel like i might v*.

It has been a couple of years, and it is somewhat better regarding the nausea. I have learned what each nauseous sensation is, but sometimes i still have the feeling i really might need to v* I am petrified of being near anyone who says they arent feeling well, hearing or seeing v*, and even someone telling me that they did v*, even if it was days ago. I am also petrified of doing it my self.

I have some sort of sleep disorder, so i am an extremely light sleeper if my husband turns over in bed i wake up paniking that he is going to be sick and cant sleep. I have dreams about random people v*ing.

Unfortunately, it seems to now be getting worse. I work in an office of over 300 people with one ladies room. I have been in there 4 times when someone was v*ing. Luckily, i had just gone in and could turn around and go back out. I am petrified that i will be in the middle of using the bathroom when someone will come in and be sick and i wont be able to escape hearing it. It is so bad i am afraid to go into the bathroom.

My husband knows about the phobia and is supportive, but i know he doesnt really understand what i really go through. It isnt that he doesnt want to, i just dont think that he can fully understand something that doesnt affect him.

I want to have children so bad, and I have begun to cope with the idea of morning sickness as i have not v*ed in such a long time. Then i start to think that it is going to happen soon because it has been so long. When i am not afraid of that, I am worried about the kids being sick. While my husband is not an emet like me, he would probably v* himself if he had to clean it up. He gets queasy over

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the site! I can relate to each and every thing you have said.

I have one child and it is not so bad. She has been sick a couple of
    times, and it is hard but I get through it and so will you. It is so
    wonderful to be a mom and I wouldn't trade it for the world. As far as
    morning sickness, I never v*, but was n*. I hear they have great n*
    medicine that are safe for pregnant women.

I have many stomach problems and had many tests and none of them made
    me s*. You should probably go to the doctor. If there is something
    physically wrong, they will be able to fix it and you will probably
    feel better.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk. This site is also a great place to come for support.

Welcome to the group!!

I have the same exact fear about the bathroom. I've held it in so long I thought I might burst if I don't feel comfortable with the "available facilities." I ALWAYS look under the stall doors when I go into a bathroom and make certain all the feet are facing FORWARD away from the bowl, and if I absolutely have to go, I go so fast it makes peoples' heads spin. If someone's waiting for me outside, I come out, and they always ask "Did you go?" [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

The kids thing: I totally commend the parents on this site. I have a son who is 16, and my emet has controlled me so bad that when his father and I split up when he was 6 months old, he got a sv* and v* on me, and I had to give custody to his father.I never told his father....I have lived with a tremendous amount of guilt about it over the past 16 years, but I know for a fact I would have been TERRIBLE at dealing with any sickness he had growing up, and I probably would have caused him severe emotional issues, so I resolved myself to believe that it was the best for him. I still remained a big part of his life, but I know if I didn't have this fear, I could have been an even bigger part.

It is definitely a consideration, having this phobia and kids, but the good news is you are seeking help...I'm in such denial about it that I don't want to even think about approaching the subject of "desensitizing" or other methods of overcoming [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    \"Nothing sets your spirit free more than the free spirit of a horse.\"

Welcome! I'm glad you're here, it sounds like you have had some rough times! Is that your kitty? If so he/she is very cute! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Welcome, and thank-you for your story. I, too, am fairly new myself. I can always relate to things people write, and I found myself nodding while reading yours. The part about your boyfriend having to drive to the store to get garbage bags and v* on the side of the road. I also have a boyfriend who knows everything about my emet, and he knows if he is v*, that I can't be there for him. I am 29, and still don't want kids because of the emet. I feel like i would worry too much to be a good mom. I know how you feel! Welcome to the site!

Wow I can relate to all of that - even the bit about the bedroom being messy [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Welcome to the site, hope you find all the support you need on here, we're all alike with this strange affliction.. But we have some fun on here too to take our minds off things [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi, I'm new to the site also and I think it's excellent.

Can I just say, please don't let this fear stop you from having children. I have 2 and although I do spent a lot of time worrying that they will get sick, the times they have been ill I have got through it. The anxiety is awful but it's not dangerous or life threatening. There are so many pleasures in being a mother so it would be a shame to deny yourself that on the grounds of emetophobia.

I felt very ill at times through my pregnancies but never v*.

Hi Bridget,

Welcome to the forum, I'm Emma. I too am like you and wnat children badly, but the whole morning sickness thing rearsits head, and I am trying to get my head around the fact thatI may not even have morning sickness. There are anti-emetics for pregnant women which can be prescribed. I have actually heard that sea bands are great for morning sickness!