Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: How did you learn about emet?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • internet

56 90.32%
  • tv

1 1.61%
  • friends/family

1 1.61%
  • other

4 6.45%

I was actually at my mom's house while she was watching Dr. Phil on TiVo and he had someone on with the phobia, although I cant remember if he mentioned the name or not.

I typed "Fear of v*" in to the search engine and ended up here.

Wikipedia had a brief mention of it and then I went to Doug's site and was like "OMG THAT'S ME!!!!!" and called my mommy to tell her lol.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I was searching for fact about v* one time when I was scared of
    catching it, and I came across this site. I am so glad I found it.

I searched for "scared to v*". The first thing that popped up was emetophobia. I started reading the things people with emet do, and thought "I could have written that myself". I felt so alone for so long, that I cried when I found out it had a name!

*MIA*Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Internet
    You only live once

My friend Laura were like, 'are you scared of sick or summit?' .. and I were like, 'well yeah, a bit' .. and she were like, 'someone in a magazine had that. il bring it in mate'
    =]]]xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by susie_q
    I was searching for fact about v* one time when I was scared of
    catching it, and I came across this site. I am so glad I found it.
    hi where do u live, do u have this fear

I was going to therapy for my anxiety. Then one day I just said "I must have a phobia of v*" and my therapist said "it definitely sounds like it."

So later that night I went on the internet and put "phobia of v*" in Google and lo and behold!
    Crayon

I was listening to an anti-anxiety CD called "Relieve Anxiety with Medical Hypnosis" by Steven Gurgevich, and he mentioned the fear and the term emetophobia. I had never heard the term before or that the fear was a legitimate phobia.

I wrote 'Scared of being ill' into google. Then it came up with something about emetophobia and I was like YIKES thats so me!

Put scared of v* into Google and hey presto! That was a few years ago and found a site called gut reaction, then i've been a bit better for a few years but freaked out earlier this winter hearing about noro, went googling again then found this site, thankfully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I actually heard a talk show interview with Joan Baez and she said she had a fear of v* and used the term emetophobia. It was the first time I'd ever heard of it and I remember feeling so happy that I wasn't the only one who suffered from a fear of v*.
    Elizabeth

I've known I had an actual phobia of it for about 10 years, but only found out the clinical name maybe 2 years ago, through finding this site! It was saddening, but also a relief, to find out so many other people suffer with it.

I think I avoided researching it for a long time, because I just didn't want to face it. I thought I was the only weirdo in the world who was afraid of a bodily function. Hah.

One of my exs found the vomiting facts and questions online and then found me this site after I told him all about this phobia. He was a nasty piece of work in the end and really hurt me, but finding out all about emetophobia for me was the best thing ever. Without that I wouldn't have come as far as I have now.

I googled "list of fears" and when I found the term for this phobia, I googled it and came upon this site!

Once when I was sitting in high school health class, my teacher showed us an episode of MTV's "True Life" about OCD. It didn't directly address emet, but one of the girls that they followed had OCD surrounding her fear of v*. It didn't really go into many of the emet details; it mostly highlighted her OCD rituals and how they negatively impacted her life, and her therapy sessions. Later, I decided to look up fear of v* online, just because I had heard of someone else with something similar, and there it all was. I was amazed.

When I was eighteen I was wondering to myself, why the heck it scared me
    so. I googled "fear of vomiting" and up pops this site!
    Life is so worth living.

I was researching v* I had an obsession with it. And I came across a couple sites that had it listed and I'm sitten here thinkin.. That sounds sooo much like me!
    Life is a wonderful ride.

I don't remember how it happened exactly but back in high school I just got the idea to look up a v* phobia. I learned the term and that's it. Last year when it got really bad I searched again and this site came up -- what a god send!
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

From the internet but I don't remember where or how.

i met a psychiatrist, told her about some of the things that depressed me, she questioned me further, and told me i had emetophobia.

then i googled it, found many websites including this one.