Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

And this is my fear...they want to consult with us this afternoon about putting him to sleep or not...I am so scared for him...i have a major fear of the dentist and being put to sleep. I am so scared he's gonna wake up sick!!!!! What to do? It's all 4 teeth that need to be taken out...so i know for his best interest he probably should be put to sleep...but omg it's so scary...any suggestions/advice/good stories?????? [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I had mine out about 6 years ago.I was put to sleep for it, as I am terrified of dentists. I wasn't n* at all when I woke up...only felt groggy and dreamy. The only time I felt remotely n* was from the pain meds I was on(which he will need) and then it wasn't bad n*. It was more like "ugh, I feel kinda n* but I know I'm not gonna v* so I'll just read or something". It hurt for about a week, then I was a-ok. He might not want to eat much, so keep some soup, crackers, bananas and other soft, bland non-saltyfoods on hand.
    Be Here Now

My sister was put out when she had hers. No n* at all!! I really think its only some people who experience being sick. Plus.. being put to sleep will be better for your son.

I am petrified of the dentist[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]I only go if I absolutely have to, like if my teeth all fell out[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] How old is your son? It's probabvly better for him to be put to sleep, maybe they can do whats called "twilight", not totally asleep but not totally awake either? Good luck, he will do fine[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hi, Kate! I had my wisdom teeth taken out when I was 15 and I was not put to sleep. I had the nitrous gas and just local anesthesia. I did really well, but I honestly couldn't tell I even had the nitrous. I do remember being a little drowsy during the procedure, but that's about it. I had one little episode of nausea later on during the day when I was at home. Not sure why that happened either--maybe because I hadn't eaten and had taken pain medication? I didn't *v* and the nausea didn't last long. However, I did end up and develop a dry socket in one of mine--very, very painful, but no nausea involved. Hope the surgery goes well for your son (and you!)

Jessica

I would recommend following the dentist advice. I didn't and was very sick but it was from the blood not the knock out drugs. So, if the Dr says drink a lot or take Pepto....do it.

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was about 17. I was knocked out during the procedure because I had to have all 6 out. (yes, I meant to say "6". I had a freaky mutation and grew an extra tooth on each lower side lol!). When I woke up, I was groggy and "out of it", but I felt absolutely NO nausea. Since then, I have had my tonsils and gallbladder out. On BOTH of those surgeries, I woke up feeling sicker than a dog. They had to load me on the max amount of anti-emits they could.
    I have a high tolerance for pain, and I dont want to get sick from pain medicines. So I never took any pain medicine (aside from tylenol andthe shots they gave me as I was leaving the surgery).

I dontthink you have anything to worry about. I think the anestesia they usefor dental surgeries tends to be milder than other surgeries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had my wisdom teeth taken out a year ago. I also had 4 that needed to be taken out.

First of all, try not to project your fear of the dentist to him too much. My mom sometimes did that when I was younger, and it made going to the dentist so much more stressful and annoying. (Amazingly enough, I never had a fear of the dentist. Just v*ing, lol)

From what I understand it's pretty rare any more for oral surgeons to use general anesthesia to take out wisdom teeth. Instead they use sedation. The difference is that with general anesthesia your functions are shut down so much that you have to be put on a respirator while under the anesthesia. Sedation is more like just being in a really, really deep sleep. General anesthesia is the one that's bad about causing nausea, so find an oral surgeon who uses sedation.

I had sedation when I had my teeth out. I didn't feel n* at all afterward even though I was terrified I would. So terrified that I didn't eat or drink a thing for 5 extra hours than they recommended, and as a result I was so dehydrated that the surgeon had to stick me 7 times before he hit a vein to get my IV in.
    I'd had my mom buy jello and frozen yogurt for me to have afterward, and I wanted to have some of the jello right away when I got home. I actually had to wait for enough feeling to return in my mouth that I could swallow without choking.

My surgery was really quick. I remember checking my watch before going in, and then when I was back in the car I saw on the dashboard clock that it had only been about 30 minutes. I didn't have any teeth that were impacted though. I know that can make the removal a bit more difficult.

For keeping him from getting sick make sure he follows the rules about not eating or drinking for however many hours your surgeon says the night before. Also, most of the time, surgeons give a prescription for a narcotic painkiller like Vicodin or Percocet. Don't let him take those on an empty stomach, that can cause nausea. Mine gave Vicodin and prescription strength Motrin. I only took a Vicodin once, and I felt a bit "sick" afterward but I'm not sure if it was really from the medicine or if I just freaked myself out thinking it would make me feel sick.
    Also, he'll need soft foods while healing anyway so you can start him on easy on the stomach stuff like jello and applesauce. I bought those, but really I mostly ate pasta while healing because, once I was confidant that I wasn't going to get sick, I wanted something else.

Overall, I don't think you have anything to worry about, and once it's over with you'll be glad you did it because it means that neither you nor your son will ever have to deal with it again.

Oh yeah, you didn't say much about who was going to do it, but definetly find an actual oral surgeon. Everyone who I've talked to who had just their regular dentist do it ended up having problems with pain or dry sockets or something.

Edited by: chicajojobe

Thank you all so much for your stories and advice/suggestions....i do believe they will use the sedation (twilight) for his procedure....and they also gave him a script for an anti-biotic to start the week before he goes, and one for motrin 600mgs and one for vicoden ....which scares the heck out of me...but i also think that since the top 2 are not giving him any trouble, i might tell them to just take the bottom 2 out...My son is almost 17 yrs and is not scared at all...he just wants to get it over with b/c those 2 on the bottom are hurting him. One of the bottom ones is the one that is impacted....I think as long as i don't have to be the one to drive him home, i'll be ok...and if i do, i'll be fine, but still scared. He is going to an certified oral surgeon, so i feel good with that. i have to call today to get it scheduled...so i'll keep you all posted.Thanks for everything
    Kate

There is a difference between the sedation that the oral surgeon uses and what a regular surgeon would use. The oral surgeon will use I.V. Sedation, which is less likely to make someone sick, and he would only be sedated for 15-20minutes. This is very different then when a person has surgery on the body which is general anesthesia; this is what makes a lot of people sick. They are two totally different things. I had my impacted wisdom's cut out about three years ago, and I was so nervous that I was out at the bar till <st1:time Hour="0" Minute="0">12am</st1:time> the night before and was very drunk when I got home. I woke up the morning of and had the surgery. When I woke up I felt like a "ROCK STAR" and I let everyone in the office know about it. So I think your son will be fine. As far as the rx for vicoden, I had them but never used them because I knew they would make me sick, I just used over the counter pain relievers. The other thing to remember after the surgery is to not change the gauze more than twice an hour. I was changing mine too often and it took forever to stop bleeding. If you have any questions PM me and I would be happy to give you any other info about this you need. I am very knowledgeable about it.

Thank you k8eb.....i appreciate your input here!!! Wow, you got drunk the night before you had your teeth cut out...that's insane but hey, if it works for you, then go for it.....I hope it all goes well for him....thanks again
    Kate

Hi Kate,
    He will be fine. I was out when I had mine pulled. I was fine. He will have nothing to eat or drink probably starting after midnight, depending what time he is having it done. He will be groggy of course,he might have swelling, and of course he will be sore. The doctor would most likely give himTylenol 3's, given his age I cant see the doctor giving him anything stronger than thatand sometimes a antibiodic, depending if there is an infection.They will have him sip on water and if that stays down and they feel he is ok to go home off you go. He will be fine and so will you! The pic's that you sent me of your boys, he is a strong kid, he will be fine!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Remember when I told you I was sedated for the tube going down my throat, woke up fine, feeling great. No matter what he will be fine.
    You know my email girl.

My brother had his taken out on saturday! He's afraid of the dentist (like you wouldnt believe) and he even said it wasnt that bad. He just had the twilight gas (or whatever you wanna call it) and he was a bit dizzy and pretty out of it for about an hour. Just make sure you son takes things slow when your leaving the office - My mom said Sam announced "I feel AWESOME" and jumped out of his chair.. then fell straight to the ground. He might act weird too, I've been told its pretty normal. When they came home, I was watching TV and Sam sat down, pointed to the kid on the commercial and informed me that it was his "Best midget friend ever". The he hid behind a fake tree and acted paranoid and jittery for a few minutes. No joke.

The vicodin, however, was another story. He took one dose and decided to stick with tylenol. So theres the only heads-up I can think of. By tuesdaySam wasback to his oldself, eating taco bell.Edited by: sarah maria
    -Sarah Maria

My sister had hers out last year. I had to drive her, and was a
    mess! She was perfectly fine. We even stopped at McDonalds
    on the way home from the dentist and got her a milkshake. She was
    starving afterward, but couldn't chew! Your son is gonna do
    great. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hey Kate, I'd get all 4 out. Even if the top two arent' bothering him you don't want him to have to dothis again in a few years. Get 'em all while you can. I had mine out about a year and a half ago as well as another tooth pulled and was put under iv sedation and was FINE! Ask the dentist to put some anti emetic in w/ the sedation if you want ... they did for me ... I think it's general practice tho. Anyhow, i didn't even need the prescription pain pills ... just advil. He may need them just make sure he has soemthing else in his stomach. If he isn't afraid and isn't emet this will be a bigger deal to you than him. He'll be fine!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Rhonda, Sarah, Penny and SimplyMe.......thank you all so much for the stories and encouragement...it means alot, and makes me feel so much better. I guess i should let them go on and take all 4, but gosh it still scares me. I will ask my son what he thinks and see what he says. I know he's not emet...so i don't worry about that, and he does not that i am. So that's good. It's scheduled for March 7th so i will fill you all in after the fact....thanks again!!!
    Kate

Oh yeah, I wanted to add in what someone mentioned about the anti-emetic.

Some places don't have any of those, but he probably won't need it. I didn't have any with my IV, and I was fine.

Trust me, you'll want him to have all 4 out. It will take a little longer in surgery but it will be worth it for your son to know he'll never have to do it again.

I had mine out and had absolutely no problems after coming around. Ask the dentist to give him an anti-emetic, he'll be fine and so will you!!!