Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Last night I woke up out of a sound sleep and sat straight up, convinced I was going to be sick. I was shaking and sweating. After a few minutes I was fully awake and realized that I didn't feel sick at all, but I was a little scared to fall back to sleep. The thing is, this happends to me a lot. It's probably because most of the time that I've gotten sick was during the night. It's weird because it's not really a dream,and I don't feel sick once my head clears. Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on how to make it stop?

You are not alone! This used to happen to me all the time..when my emet was at a peak it happened ever single night at least once..and then I was unable to get back to sleep...I ended up convinsing myself I was going to be sick and I had massive panic attacks!

I didnt do much different..i stopped eating after 7-8 at night..becuase iw as waking up at like 12-1 and I figure after 4 hours food is starting to exit your system and id be safe..

thats about all i ddi..eventauly I got better..it only happens every now and then..and they arent as bad.

I might try reading before i go to bed..so the last thing on your mind isnt emet..or watch tv..or a movie..or sleep with music on..so your mind has something else to process.

good luck!
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

I use to have this in fact (this was probably wierd) because I was on the top bunk I had a 4L icecream bucket beside me by my pillow. I use to shake the whole bunk bed with my shudders. This is the first time I have told anyone this actually. I know that the foster sister that we had at the time she worroed about how I would shake but I told her not to tell anyone.

I started listening to Soft music like Enya and classical as well as nature sounds and I relaxed. I would often read before bed as well something that wasn't school oriented and it was good too.

GL with it. I don't have that so much anymore. Only once or twice inthe last few years.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

The same thing used to happen to me too. It still does sometimes, usually
    at a certain time of the month. It's horrible, the shaking and just not
    knowing what's wrong and what's gonna happen. What I'd do was sneak
    into the living room and quietly put on the tv. That way, I got my mind off
    the sick feeling and the shaking settled down. And it made me sleepy,
    sometimes I'd just doze off right on the couch. Another alternative is to
    read a book or listen to some calming music. If it was really bad, and I
    thought I was gonna be sick for real, I'd nibble on some crackers and sip
    some water. But as horrible as it was, in the three years I had to
    constantly deal with it, I didn't v* once.
    Hope this helps!
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

Thanks Guys![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

It makes me feel better knowing that it is an emet thing, and other people do it too. So the next time it happends i can think it's just b/c of the emet, and I'm going to be ok. Most of the time I go watch tv just to get my mind off of it, otherwise i just end up freaking out even more. Hopefully it will stop happening!

Danielle

That's happened to me before too! Does it seem to happen around stressful periods for anyone else more often than not so stressful times? When I moved at first it was more often now it still happens but not as much and then when I was awaiting my teeth stuff it seemed more often. Think there's a link?

I'm glad your'e feeling better about it, Danielle!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

That's a good point. I think that that is quite possible. Now that I think about I did have it worse when I was stressed.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Hi

I am new here, I've just been reading through some posts.
    Yeah I experience the same thing & I convince myself that i feel s when I don't It's just panic, I think it is cuz I got s during the night when I was a child too.

Tracy