Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi guys, I occasionally visit this forum, sometimes a lot more than others so you all probably don't remember me. But I've had a huge fear of throwing up and seeing others doing itforat least 10 years, which was the last time I threw up. Last time I did it it wasn't horrible so I don't know what made me afraid.

I've been on zoloft since November for depression, and was seeing a counselor at school to talk about my phobia and other issues for more than a year. Currently I'm studying abroad in London. I'm 21.

Anyway! on Sunday evening I threw up 4 times! On a plane! I wasn't even sick, and I don't get motion sick. What I think happened is that I forgot to take the zoloft on Saturday and Friday when I was visiting Scotland, and then had a guinness and a smirnoff on Saturday night, which made me extremely exhausted, almostready to pass out. The next day I felt listless and kind of sick, but later on perked up. Then we flew back to London, and after the plane landed and I was waiting to get off, I all of a sudden got hot and dizzy. I took off my jacket and scarf and my roommate took my bags and I dry heaved, and sat down. Then somehow I made it to the front of the plane, told the flight attendant I was going to pass out, then she put me into the bathroom, I fell to the floor, and then threw up 4 times in the toilet. It was kind of a lot, though I hadn't eaten much that day.

BUT IT WASN'T THAT BAD!! Seriously it happened so fast, and even as I was doing it I thought "ok, i can do this". And I felt amazingly better afterwards, better than I had felt all day. The worst part was being on a plane and being afraid to not make it to the bathroom and grossing everyone out, and also feeling like I was going to faint.

The flight attendant made it very easy though, she encouraged me and held my hair back and comforted me. So nice!

I've had a few drinks before on zoloft, but I had never forgotten to take the pill two days in a row and drank at the same time. I also drank faster than usual, was already exhausted from traveling, and apparently a beer and vodka aren't always good to mix. I definitely think drinking on the medicine kind of caught up with me, especially combined with forgetting to take the pill. What do you guys think? It was weird, all very sudden and fast.

But I did it! It wasn't horrible! And I'm flying again on Saturday, so there's no way I can be afraid. I don't think I would mind throwing up again, but I'd rather do it not on an airplane or crowded place. But I know I'll be fine Saturday, I'm not going to drink again on this pill, I'll remember to take it, and I'll be well rested.

ok that's it!

-christina

edit: oh yeah, i forgot to add that I was nervous once i got into the airport, but that's because i didn't want to go on an hour and a half train ride in case i did it again! so i talked to an EMT who was absolutely wonderful, and then tooka cab home with my friends. i wasn't anxious again after that.Edited by: christina28

Glad you made it through that ordeal, Christina. You are strong and brave.

I was feeling a little off part of the weekend but never felt I was anywhere close to throwing up. It was just one of those incidents where a lot of thoughts went through my head and I wondered what a non-emet would have done in my circumstances. A lot of them would have thrown up or tried to, or at least wanted to.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wow christina that's awesome, congrats!!

i think my emetophobia is definitely caused by a fear of the unknown; it has been a very long time since i was last sick...sometimes i think that if i would just let myself be sick and see it's not so terrible that i would be cured

also, i take zoloft as well, and i find that if i forget to take it i am very very dizzy and nauseous, so that could very well be what caused it!

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That-a-girl! Isn't it a wonderful release? I mean, we spend our whole lives fearing something that actually makes us feel better! I felt SOOOOOOOOOO much better when I v* in the beginning of the month. It was NOTHING. The hard part is helping people overcome their fear, it's just something you have to experience to understand. That is the traumatic part.

Hope you are feeling better! How is living abroad ?- I'd love to visit Europe someday! Especially Scotland!

Nichole[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

hey Nichole! i'm glad you got a chance to throw up too! haha, that sounds weird, doesn't it? It is really strange, the fear of the unknown. I have no idea why I became afraid of it after I did it in when I was 11, it must have been a fear that slowly grew in me as I forgot what it was like. I guess there are other issues my head that also influence it though (according to my sessions with my counselor).

I love London so much! We went to Edinburgh, Scotland, which was a really nice city, but I got a better vibe from London. I also spent a day in Glasgow, but that was the day where I wasn't feeling well and got sick that night so I didn't enjoy it. But London is fantastic, and the people here are really friendly! Definitely visit if you can!

Christina