Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi. Yes, I have a fear of v*. The strange thing is that it is genetic (must be). My mother, who is a majorhypchondriac started both me and my sister's phobia. She was obsessed with us being sick and would often make us stay home for days and days just for a cold or whatever. She seemed to revel in our sickness (long story). Anyways, my older sister started with the fear and I have it, as well. My older sister became obsessed with killing germs, especially any that would cause the stomach flu. I am not as obsessed with germs, but hate to throw up, HEAR someone throw up, see someone or God forbid, myself throw up. I am a teacher of small kids and throwing up in the class is inevitable. At any stomach pain, I send my kids right to the nurse. The nurse probably hates me! But,I don't care! I have had kids barf in my room and I have had to leave and was near tears many times. I am in constant fear of eating something "bad" or "spoiled" for fear I will be sick. For the last two days, my husband had a 24 hour stomach bug and was v* all night. I leave him alone in the spare bedroom, spray Lysol EVERYWHERE, cover my ears and just pray that I don't get it. Then, of course, my stomach hurts because I am so nervous. So, now, he is feeling better and I am scared that I am going to get it and will be a NERVOUS WRECK this week waiting for a stomach ache to come on. If my two kids get the flu, my husband has to deal with it. I will call him home from work (he is a cop and works at night) to have him tend to the kids. He knows that I can't handle it. Does anyone have any insight on what caused this FEAR? I know I am not going to DIE if I throw up, I just know that I would rather have every tooth pulled from my mouth before throwing up, even once. How do we deal with it? My sister takes Zoloft for it. My niece, who is 12, my sister's daughter, also has it very badly and takes Zoloft, too. It gives little help. My poor sister's husband just got diagonosed with cancer and will start chemo tomorrow. She is a mess because she knows she will not be able to help her husband while he throws up after his chemo. That is so sad, but I feel the same way. Any suggestions? Advice, information, coping strategies? Thanks for reading this.

Welcome to the site.. and I know that I've pretty much had emetophobia all my lief but it was realllly brought out by a really bad case of food poisoning last year. I take zoloft as well and I have some meds that I also take right on the spot if I feel panicky. My mom just had the stomach flu as well.. so I'm a wreck too. Any specific questions??

Hi! Thanks for your reply! About how long is the window for catching a stomach bug? Also, does your Zoloft help with the anxiety at all? What other meds are you taking? So, you think you had this all your life? Isn't it weird that I have it, my sister has it and her daughter? I wonder if my daughter will (she's still too young!).

My zoloft does help yes. The other med I am taking for panic attacks is a really long name and I can't remember it.. maybe someone else on the site uses it. I also take prevacid for my acid reflux. I am thinking if you were going to be sick you would have already. I'm sure you're very clean and keeping your hands washed.. so I'm sure you'll be ok. I am soo nervous right now about me getting sick.. I'm trying to think positive. My grandma actually has this phobia too. And yeah I think I have had it my whole life. It has just gotten worse the past year. Try not to do what your mom did with you.. with your daughter. Otherwise she very well might get some phobia for all I know.

I always thought there was like a 2 week window to catch a virus, so I could always breathe a sigh of relief when that 2 week mark hit! You are so right about not bringing up my daughter the way that my mom brought up my sister and I.....to live in constant fear of being sick (yet, my mom seemed to love when were were sick because she loved to take care of us.....VERY WEIRD...she was always preoccupied with us "not eating too much" incase we got sick. In fact, when most kids were told to clean our plate at dinners, our mom told us not to eat a lot, so we didn't get sick. Geez....it is all making sense now! My mom has serious issues. When my parents got divorced, she went and worked in a hospital and she THRIVES there. Anyways, when my son or daughter gets sick (throws up), I try not to make a big deal about it. When my husband was throwing up Monday night, my son heard him and I just nonchalantly said, "Oh daddy is sick and is throwing up." (Without batting an eye, even though I was panicking inside!) I want my kids to realize that this is a normal, bodily function and it actually serves a purpose! Can you imagine being an elementary school teacher with this phobia? It is like being thrown in a pool with sharks coming at you!

Typically the person who is ill sheds active virus for about 72 hours after the last v** or d** episode. They can still be contagious for two weeks afterwards the very active contagion is 72 hours.

That said, I have read of studies that claim the sv stays active on hard surfaces such as doorhandles, computer keysboards, guard rails for up to three weeks. Since SV is a virus and needs a host to replicate, I don't know if that time frame is completely accurate. Still, it must be pretty active on surfaces for some detecteble time frame since it spreads so rapidly in closed spaces and it is not airborne. Then it has to be from surfaces.

Stella

Welcome!

Well, i have just conqured my phobia or v* which im very proud of i still dont like to v* but it doesnt bother me as much its the feeling ill thats the worse, over here in the UK there has been a lot of stomach bugs going round which unfortunatly me and my boyfriend managed to catch thats how i got over it.

i used to take Stemetil which has to be prescribed by a doctor its an anti emetic which prevents you from v* and feeling ill it helped me a lot i dont think i would have got over it without this drug maybe you should ask you doctor for it.

if you need anyone to talk to then just send me a private message i would be happy to help you.

xxxxxxxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome teacherk. I give you lots of credit working with children. I love kids but could never teach...you will find lots of support here, and we all feel the same as you. I know I do. I guess we all just try to take one day at a time. Keep your chin up...</font>

Hey Teacherk,

You have now met another teacher with this phobia. I teach Kindergarten. It is very scary this time of year. I also send my kids every time they mention a stomachache. Last year it went through the class 3 times. I freaked out. This year I make sure the kids wash before snack and lunch. So far it seems to be helping. I wash my hands often and am very careful not to touch my face. I have a new teacher aide this year and couldn't believe it when she told me she is an emet. Between the two of us the nurse wants to kill us. Hang in there, it will get better. It's almost spring.

Murphy