Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Have you ever v* because of the flu?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, but I know someone who have

14 34.15%
  • No

24 58.54%
  • Yes

2 4.88%
  • Yes and I’ve heard more cases too

1 2.44%

Hey,

I've read in a few arcticles that Flu can actually make you v* too,
    though it's not that often.. I know that some doctors disagree with
    this and say that v* during flu is the result of high temperature or
    eating too much while your body is fighting, but what do you think?
    have you ever v* from the flu or do you know anyone who have?

Thanks

You only live once

Yes, and I would agree with those assumptions by doctors: it's no stretch to say that when you're ill, you have a better chance of vomiting what with post-nasal drip and high fevers. I have already retched because of post-nasal drip, but it was very short and I was fine.

I agree too. Plus w/ hard coughing some people v. No emet I ever heard of did lol but I had a friend who used to w/ bronchitus. She wasn't afraid to do it tho so ...

Also w/ the flu there's not those meds to shorten it etcand I don't know but those may causev or even the otc ones alot of ppl don't follow the dosing instructions.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I've never v* from having the flu but I almost did once.

There was not a voting button for me. I've never had the flu, or known anybody that did, v* from it.

I've never v'ed from it or known anyone that has. I get nauseated when I get a fever (it's just me-no one else I know does) but that's about it.

And yes, that icky stuff draining down your throat is not digestable, so if too much of it gets in your tummy, it can make you sick. But, I've had AWFUL sinus infections and pnuemonia and haven't gotten sick from the phlem.
    Amanda

Proud mommy to:
    Michael (11)
    Bethanie (7)
    Peanut (EDD 14 March 2009)

My husband and I had the flu years ago - he did v* on the first and last days of his illness, which freaked me out because I had the same flu virus. I never did do that though.

Some people are definitely more susceptible to it, I for one have never felt the urge to. But my little brother does it every time he has the flu due to high tempuratures, and also because his breathing is restricted through his nose (because it is blocked), which somehow causes him to get s*. But this only happens at night, when you're at risk of overheating in your bed.

So if you've got a fever, it's important to do whatever you can to keep yourself cool at night so that you don't overheat, and that should prevent any v*ing! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Lauren xx

Never v*ed from influenza, but I sure felt like I might a few times, had d* with it. It may have been more related to the dehydration and lack of appetite so nothing or little eaten than the flu itself. Also I wanted to mention tamiflu can certainly cause nausea. My brother actually had to quit taking it both of the last two times he had flu because of the nausea, and I don't believe he ever v*ed with it, but it seems possible. I never used to get flu before high school but I got it junior and senior year 1999 and 2000 and I started getting vaccinated every year after that. I know its not 100% but it seems like a reasonable low risk thing to do. I mostly just can't stand being out of action for that long so its more about that and less about this phobia.

I've never done it from the flu, but I'll admit I've v*ed from the common cold. I was probably about 14, and all my life I hated the feeling of blowing my nose (because my ears would pop), so I would always just sniff up and swallow the mucus. Well, one night I guess I just swallowed too much of it on an empty stomach, and after feeling ill for several hours I got sick. I felt better immediately after and didn't have any more n* for the duration of the cold, and my doctor said that is a normal reaction if you swallow too much of your "secretions".

Moral of the story: if you have a cold, just keep blowing your nose and you'll be fine! Don't make the same mistake I did... Since that night I have never had any more problems with real n* during a cold.
    ~ Natalie

I think it really depends.
    Some do v* and some don't.