Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello,

I am new to Emetophobia. I believe my Daughter started suffering from this when she was 6 1/2, after 4 stomach bugs. She always asked me, "will I throw up?" I would answer her "no" and we would move on. It didnt keep her from any activities, eating, etc.

Four weeks ago, she suffered a trauma which completely pushed the phobia through. A fellow classmate threw up in music class right night to her. According to the teacher, it was "pretty bad".

Danielle came home hysterical.

Since this incident, she is completely phobia, and it consumes her most of the time. We are keeping her in school, however, she ends up at the nurse a few times a day fearing the worst.

She utters..."Mommy, my tummy, will I throw up", at least 50 - 100 times a day.

I have been on a quest to find out if anyone this young was ever helped. We have JUST started her with CBT, and no meds as of yet. Its too soon to tell, but my heart is ripped out every day.

Please post if you have heard, or have had this terrible phobia actually be treated sucessfully, especially in children. I hope we caught this early enough, but in the meantime, I have not read of many success stories, except one. This is leaving me with no light at the end of the tunnel. I would love if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Bless you all,

RainieB

I'm so sorry. I didn't really have this phobia when I was that little, it sort of hit me hard at about age 11. I do know however that I am already so much better and I'm 18. I don't worry every day and I actually just got over a virus that hit my stomach pretty bad. I think it really depends on the person. If they're willing to get better and have a good support system (like you!) things will turn around.

Good luck

Rainie - I responded to your PM.

Upon reading this post, I'd only add that you first need to find a cure for your "heart being ripped out", and then the cure for your child will swiftly follow. (I hope this makes sense!)

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi RainieB,
    I am new to this website as well. I thought I would reply to you because so far you are the only one I found who has asked about "children with emetophobia." My daughter has it - she is 8. She is struggling tremendously - can't attend school regularly, is losing weight, etc. It has been really hard on all of our family. We are trying to get her help, etc -- but sometimes I don't know if anyone really knows how to help.
    She is doing a bit better than she was. We have found a few books that have been helpful - but today was a really bad day - so I'm feeling discouraged.
    I just thought I would write to say you are not alone in having a child with it.
    Have you found anything that helps?

It's wonderful that she is starting CBT and you are so understanding of her needs! My phobia started around that age, and my parents always took the "sickness happens, so learn how to deal with it" approach. I think that fact that you caught it early and are working to get her help is a huge plus...I don't know about specific success stories in children, but I'm sure treating it early is probably the best way to go! At the very least, I'm sure she will reach the point where it is liveable and just stays in the background on most days- many, many emets do!

I hope things go well for her! I'm sending good thoughts your way!

Hello WellJanell, and Seventhquest,

Thank you so much for your posts and well wishes. Believe it or not, my daughter woke up 2 nights ago vomiting!!! She actually said that it wasnt as bad as she feared. However, today I kept her home today to make sure she is eating, and she keeps asking me if she is going to throw up.

It is also very hard on our family, to go anywhere and do anything. We are only on our second session of CBT, so I am hoping it helps. I did find this case study on the internet, that fits my daughter and perhaps your daughter to a "T". Please read it, as it gave me some hope. I am very nervous about sending her to school tomorrow. She will be afraid I am sure. Anyway, here is the link to the case study.

http://ccs.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/5/6/477.pdf?ck=nck

What I was taught is that when she keeps asking "will I throw up?". I ANSWER her with a question. "What do you think?" etc.. Be empathetic with her, but give her the skills to figure it out instead of answering each time.

Good luck and keep me posted!!! Hang in there!

Hey, I don't have a daughter, but i have been suffering from this since i was about 5 ( i am now 17). It took quite a while for people to figure out what it was, at first i was diagnosed with OCD then PTSD until they said its just generalized anxiety disorder. I know how hard it can be on teh family, my family has been through so much trying to help me overcome this war. I don't know what else you can do medically to help her, but i know that just having someone to talk to, or someone who listens helps a great deal. I think we all can overcome this, and its possible that your daughter will grow out of it, i think i will/am. Hope this helps, and she can stays happy and healthy!

Erin
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

Hey rainieb - what a great article! Thanks for the link. I read it carefully, and it seems like those folks really had a good handle on how to treat this in a child. I particularly identified with how they were instructing the parents - and I was glad to see that their advice was similar to mine.

Good luck with your daughter!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.