Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Right,
    Im due to have my second baby in 4 weeks and im really worried that i will end up V* during labour.. i didnt last time and i had such a horrendous labour they gave me an anti emetic injection though, but i felt so stupid as all the way through my labour the only thing i was saying was: please dont let me be sick please!!
    And i know every delivery is differnt this is why im panicing.. and advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i have had 2 kids and never v during labor.

They had the meds ready for me though just in case.

I think some v because they are so hungary....you know how you feel when you have not eaten...or they get dehydrated. I think that is why it is good to eat ice during labor.

Thankyou .. im going to make sure i have somethign light before i go to the hospital and take plenty of water with me as last time i didnt take anything and i too was dehydrated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three labors=No V*

I really wasn't thinking about it much at all, I was so distracted by everything else.

BandNerd
    BandNerd

When I am finally pregnant, I"m considering an elective c-section to avoid this. I can't think of much worse, being in pain, but also worried about v*.

Like you said though, you got through it last time without v*, and they gave you the injection, you can just have it again. Plus, isn't the 2nd labour meant to be a bit easier than the first.

I have had 4 babies--no v'ing during labor! I only know of 2 people who have v'ed--and one was from a reaction to a narcotic and the other was my friend who was v'ing to relieve her pain!! I'm sure it will be fine! Did your mom v* with you?

I had 2 deliveries and didn't v*. I never even felt sick. My sister did v* and she said it was the easiest v* she ever did. She said that she was in pain and it just happened like it was nothing. There was too much other stuff to worry about

my mum didnt v* with me no and my sister didnt with hers although she nearly did she did gag but its because she hadnt eaten.
    calibmom this is why im so scared i dont want to v* from it but i think the reason i didnt last time was the pain wasnt too bad as i had epidural so im praying that i will get it again and it wil all be ok

I am sure you will be fine. I didn't have an epidural with my first and I was okay My sister is the only person I know of that did and I know alot of people who have had babies. And she had an epidural. I think because you ar an emet sheer will will keep you from it. Try not to worry too much and just enjoy this time in your life

Four kids...the first was natural, the second was a C-section, the third was a VBAC and the fourth was another C-section...and no v*. Good luck, Abbey. I'm sure everything will be just fine.

thankyou sherbear xxxxx

I too have have 3 children, have never v* during labor. Good luck, I am sure with the shot you will be just fine![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Hello Abby how are you ? I was thinking abot you lately cuz this site was down and I was wondering how you are doing? I recently made a post about this on the other site while this one was down. My best advice is to ask for a anti emetic ...i didnt even know this happened until i watched my cousins birth and the nurse mentioned it as being an indicator of time to push..but i had no clue of that and i asked my mom and grandma and they both hadnt heard of it either...try not to worry ..ask for an anti emetic and you should be fine. GOOD LUCK

thankyou punchbuggy xxxx

and yes im doing alright i guess some bad days and some good... as usual!
    just started some councelling and soon to see a pysciatrist so lets hope that all goes ok.. how are you? xxx

no experience with that but just wanted to wish you good luck

Abbey - im good..for the most part but like you said some bad some good ...i guess its all a part of life right ? ..oh and when I replied to your question i made it seem like my cousin was sick but she wasnt ..the nurse just mentioned to let her know if she felt nauseated or anything...so dont worry.. And when I asked my mom about it she told me she did not know 1 person in her whole life who had been sick during labour ..and neither did my grandma ..cuz i was freaking out over this too

Punchbuggy - Aw wow thankyou that makes me feel so much better, its good to hear some good news i guess at the time im going to be too bothered about the pain lol xx

Yea ..just try not to worry yourself to much. And be very strict about getting an anti emetic just to be on the safe side !

p.m me if you want

Abbey- Good to see you!!! I can't believe how far along you are- you'll be meeting your little man soon! You must be so excited.

My response is a two-parter.....yes, vomitting is common during labour, but no, it's not likely that an emet will vomit because they have usually trained their body NOT to vomit, and usually only do so during extreme circumstances. If you weren't sick during your first labour and delivery, you are probably in good shape for this one The most common period when this occurs is during the transition phase- so when you're going from 7-10 centimeters. If you are worried, you can ask for an antiemetic- they will usually comply no questions asked, because nurses don't like being vomitted on *hey, who does?*

I also have to address this:

When I am finally pregnant, I"m considering an elective c-section to avoid this. I can't think of much worse, being in pain, but also worried about v*.

I'm sorry to have to burst your bubble, but even with a c-section vomitting is still common due to the drugs you are given and all the moving around that they need to do to get the baby out. You feel a lot of pressure when they are pushing the baby out, and afterwards you are VERY sore....trust me, it's not a good option if you are looking to avoid pain! If vomitting during labour, ask for an antiemetic- they can administer it through your IV so it gets into your system fairly quickly. I also have to reiterate that emets are probably the LEAST likely people to vomit during labour- stomachs of steel I tell ya!

Ooohh.. Getting sick after c section, I think is far more common. Amber is right, they will more than likely be happy to administer anti emetics. This is my plan.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I have 4 kids and never v* during labor. I would NOT worry about that and just focus on the end result[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by scaredycat82

Like you said though, you got through it last time without v*, and they gave you the injection, you can just have it again. Plus, isn't the 2nd labour meant to be a bit easier than the first.
    I don't think I would want a c section unless necessary. Like I said I have 4 kids... first 3 were natural and last one (she is 19 months old now) was an emergency c section and it completely sucked. I would much rather give birth naturally (I did have an epidural though)

I know when I was in labor, v* was the LAST thing on my mind.

crim - thanks hun!
    Im just tryin to hold onto the fact that i wasnt sick with my first labour so i shouldnt be with this one, well thats whay i pray anyway im realy worried about it but i thought it was from the pain people v*? or is that not right

It's usually not from the pain itself- although there are some people who do react that way to pain (my mom for example). If nausea and vomitting isn't anormal reaction topain for you, then I wouldn't worry

The reason for vomitting is that during labour your body is hard-wired to 'clean itself out'- which is why diarrhea is also a symptom. Also, during the transition phase your body is getting ready to push the baby out, so there is a lot going on and vomitting is often a physiological reaction when the body is undergoing a lot of stress (even if that stress/change is normal for the situation).

I'm with madisonsmom- when I was in labour vomiting was really the least of my concern (and it's funny because I wasn't really nauseous...and after I got the epidural I wasn't nauseous AT ALL). After having an emergency c-section, I really want a vaginal birth for the next one.

Abbey- goodluck with everything!! If you do feel a bit nauseous, ask for ice or very cold water- you can even sip on gingerale if you want to. You also should post new pics of Kayleigh, and your big pregnant belly

I've never v* in labour, and my last one was horrendous, 36 hours and he got stuck, but still no v*. Good luck.

3 labors, no v*--one ended in an emergency c-section under general anesthesia and still no v*. congrats on the baby!
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I've not heard of an emetophobe vomiting during labour - usually they have such incredible power in the brain to avoid it that there's no need. But also abbey hun, don't feel "stupid" amongst the medical staff that you are phobic. Everybody has something we always say in the hospital. Hospital staff don't think of anyone as "stupid" unless in some rare example there's one who's just a complete idiot. And you don't make no never-mind about them, so to speak.

When you go in, just explain to the nurses confidently and plainly that you have a phobia of vomiting and it's very severe (trust me, it is - as is everyone on this site). Ask for MAJOR anti-emetics and then you'll feel just fine. They won't mind - really.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

hi abbey,

with my 1st i went thru labour and then ended up with a c-section, and i got no n* or v* . i did ask them to have the antiemetics at the ready tho..

my second i had an elective c-section but i was so nervous about v* that they gave me an antiemetic as soon as they got the drip into my hand..

dont panic hun im sure you wont v* . most people seem to v* because their tummy is too empty or too full so if i was you i would have a very light lunch and have some ice chips with you.. oh and go steady on the gas and air as that can make you v*

it wont be long now hun before your little one arrives, enjoy the last few weeks. x
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

I never v'ed during my labor with either kids. I was given phenergan and slept till time to push.

I don't want to worry anyone but I did v* during labour. I v*ed a lot during the last trimester of my pregnancy (so did my Mum when expecting my sister and me so I blame her!).
    I had planned to have no pain relief but by the time I got to the delivery suite it had already happened numerous times so I had a Meptid injection which is like pethidine but with worse side effects. They gave me an anti-emetic but the Meptid made me very ill so I would NOT recommend it for an emetophobe although it did help with the pain which I found bearable. I have to say when I v*ed whilst in labour it bothered me a lot less than ever before as i was so relieved that the pregnancy would soon be over and it was totally worth it to have my little girl. I think if you did not v* last time you will be OK again. Good luck.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.