Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Stupid Parents!

first i would like to say hi to everyone and welcome back![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

now for my rant.....had to take the kids to the dentist today and i was dreading sitting in there because it always seems that the receptionist's talk about someone having the sv...anyways, so i'm sitting there with my book, and everything is going fine and my kids were due to finish soon, it had been about an hour and so far so good, but wouldn't you know it!!...a lady comes rushing in with her 3 kids, one of them with no shirt and pants in her arms probably about 2 yrs. old, adn she says "sorry i'm late, he just threw up all over the car" and one of the receptionist says "you think he's alright for his exam?" and the mom says "yeah, i think so", my kids were not out yet so i bolted outside, if you can imagine, i was so afraid he was gonna puke while i was sitting there, so when my kids were done, i just wanted to leave but i had to pay for their visit and touch the same pen this lady touched and same with the door handle and elevator button, i was so upset!!! my poor kids they don't know why i was so grouchy with them, telling them not to touch anything...yada yada....this is why sv's spread, and i'm so sick of being afraid....sorry for the long post , just needed to get this off my chest, you guys are the only one's i can share this with
    ~Sheri~

That's terrible. I am sorry you had to go through that. I would have freaked out too.

Stupid receptionist!! What happened to so sorry, you HAVE to reschedule, as we can't take a risk of our staff or patients being exposed??? [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] Stuped parent too, btw. I had to laugh when you said your kids didn't know why you were being so grouchy......I am the same way!!!

Thanks for your replies, you're exactly right worrygirl! now the patients and staff will be exposed, as i'm sure it's a bug...so many parents are talking about a bad sv going around right now...i'm so sick of this, it's all you hear about!!! I guess it's only us emets that are careful, upsets me to no end!

Leia, thanks for your understanding.
    ~Sheri~

That's the difference between us and them - if those had been my children, I'd have turned the car round, gone home then phoned the dentist to explain. I'm sorry you had to go through that. There's a small chance the little one was just travelsick - let's hope so!

Stupid parents, indeed. What the heck was she thinkin'? (And don't get me started on that tard of a receptionist.) It would've taken all of my will power not to slap that mother. Some people, huh?

Even if I wasn't emetophobic, I would have been mad at that. That is so blatantly selfish and poor kid also, having to have a dental exam, that is scary for him, with a tummy ache. Nice parenting.[img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]
    JANNA

I'm sorry. That is just IDIOTIC!!! Emet or not!

i concure...they were all stupid. the mother should have taken her children home, and called the dentist. It is very inconsiderate that she took her sick child to a public place, gosh some people...

sorry you had to go through that....what kind of sane mother would send her son for a dentists appointment after he had just be sick...thats what i would like to know??? what is wrong with some people...

STUPID Lady!!!!! It is because of people like that that these viruses go around so much!!!! That makes me so angry!

Poor kid, and dentist.

I would have been very upset too! In times like that, use your own pen from your purse. I have started doing that instead of using the ones at the checkout. If they have those electronic boxes, I obviously have to use the pen, but as soon as I get into my car I use sanitizer.

The receptionist should have said "Why don't we reschedule?"

Ok... there can be a chance that he v* due to something else and not a sv. (the appt still should have been rescheduled regardless)

I am sure you guys will be fine. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

The receptionist should have suggested another appointment.

My son is sick with a barking cough and cold. I kept him home from school yesterday and today. He goes on spring break this Friday and I know several of his mates are going away for the holiday. They don't need to get sick. My son began showing symptoms on Saturday, was coughing on Sunday (but has to perform in an opera) and then I kept him home yesterday and today. The doctor told me that by tomorrow, he won't be contagious and the "freshness of the cold" will be over. The cough will last a few weeks, but he won't be shedding active virus.

Two weeks ago he v** on a Sunday night one time. He was tired witha headache the next day. He never had fever or D*. Since I was not sure what it was, and sv** were going around, I kept him home for two days. By the time he went to school he had not V** in 58 hours. I don't think he was contagious at that point.

I have no idea what makes parents do the things they do. I child v*** all over the car and the mom thinks a dental exam is in order. Does she not know that the exam alone can evoke a gag reflex in any child. One that has just v*** will be more suspectible to gagging, and possibly v** again. What a dingdong.

We need a license to drive, a license to open a business, a license to cut hair, BUT anyone with a zero IQ can give birth and raise (if you want to call it that) children. Makes you wonder.

Stella

Quote Originally Posted by stella9

The receptionist should have suggested another appointment.

My son is sick with a barking cough and cold. I kept him home from school yesterday and today. He goes on spring break this Friday and I know several of his mates are going away for the holiday. They don't need to get sick. My son began showing symptoms on Saturday, was coughing on Sunday (but has to perform in an opera) and then I kept him home yesterday and today. The doctor told me that by tomorrow, he won't be contagious and the "freshness of the cold" will be over. The cough will last a few weeks, but he won't be shedding active virus.

Two weeks ago he v** on a Sunday night one time. He was tired witha headache the next day. He never had fever or D*. Since I was not sure what it was, and sv** were going around, I kept him home for two days. By the time he went to school he had not V** in 58 hours. I don't think he was contagious at that point.

I have no idea what makes parents do the things they do. I child v*** all over the car and the mom thinks a dental exam is in order. Does she not know that the exam alone can evoke a gag reflex in any child. One that has just v*** will be more suspectible to gagging, and possibly v** again. What a dingdong.

We need a license to drive, a license to open a business, a license to cut hair, BUT anyone with a zero IQ can give birth and raise (if you want to call it that) children. Makes you wonder.

Stella

I love you Stella... You tell it like it is![img]smileys/smilies_46.gif[/img] (hope you don't take this wrong way! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] ) I do love the way you tell things though. I agree with you 100% on almost everything you say!!
    Edited by: madisonsmom

Thanks for your kind remarks. The reality is, it is just good common sense.

As luck would have it, my daughter starting coughing on Sunday. She is supposed to go to Quebec, Canada with her French class this evening to return on Sunday. I took her to the pediatrician on Monday to see if she could go and get an assessment on her illness. My daughter had no fever and felt fine, but I wanted to check all angles. The pediatrician confirmed what she DID NOT have - influenza, bronchitis, strep or pneumonia. The doctor told me that it was a regular "old fashioned" uneventful cold and that my daughter could go away on Wednesday (today). She said by Day 4/5 of a cold, the virus is no longer very contagious as it was more contagious the two days before visible symptoms (yes, colds are contagious while incubating). According to the doctor, even though my daughter will besnotty yesterday and today, the contagious part is mostly over and that the snotty and full cough are just the body's response to the now inactive virus. My concern was about her spreading it to the other girls on the trip.The doctor told me that I should not be overly concerned about it at this point and that colds are so common and uneventful. Still, I ruminated over this.

Had my daughter had anything else, she would not go. Of course I worry about someone v** on the bus or one of the girls in her hotel room getting noro. According to the teachers, any sick child will be removed and taken into one of the chaperones' rooms.

As any other emet mom would do, I have given my daughter The Drill of handwashing, using wipes, use her gloves when pushing the elevator button in the hotel, using purell, blah, blah, blah. She is almost 11, so she knows my insanity and does alot of these rituals now by habit (Note, all mothers of little ones these habits dobecome second nature).

Just an FYI - my BIL is director of food service at Univesity of Maryland. If anyone knows about noro and other food bourne illnesses, it is him. We talked last week and he told me that noro, lysteria and some of the other ones that cause v** have become super bugs. The parents who just shrug these things off because "we" got over them when we were kis are wrong. "We" are no longer dealing with the same bugs.

Stella