Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello everyone!! I just stumbled upon this site and have been lurking since yesterday, I cannot express how relieved to find out that there is a forum for this disease (to me it is a disease) and I needed some help or advise on what plagues me all day every day:

All day every day I am so so scared of my kids picking up a sv*, I am CONSTANTLY washing their hands, over cooking their food, phycho analyzing their behavior, touching their foreheads. I am a WALKING stress ball of anxiety. I carry truck loads of hand sanitizer with me everywhere I go, and am constantly cleaning their hands. My son is 5, daughters 2, 6 months. I am the SAME exact way with my husband. I am always asking him, calling him on the phone 3 times a day from work asking him if 'he's feeling okay' out of fear that he will v* (NO reason, I just randomly picture him always coming down with something). My husband suffers from migranes which make him v* occassionally.. so the SECOND he mentions that he's getting a headache, my entire body if flooded with absolute fear that he will v*. I make him take ibuprofin. In fact, I carry ibuprofin with me everywhere I go in case he starts to get a headache. (Keep in mind he only v* once last year with a bad headache). He also is the kind of person that will v* if he gets a bad cough/cold vs. a sv*.... so the SECOND he comes down with sniffles, I literally cannot sleep out of fear that he's going to v*. I HATE this prison that I am in and don't know where to turn. To make things worse, my 6 month old baby cme down with a sv* 3 days ago and I haven't been able to eat or sleep since out of fear that it will come back. After every bottle I give her I am afraid to even look at her or listen to her because I am afraid she's going to v*, even though she is completely better. Because of this incident with her random sv*, I am PETRIFIED that the other two kids are going to catch it[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I can't stop asking my son, 5, if he's feeling okay and making sure my daughter is okay. I have by lysoling the house like crazy. Are their any other parents that do this or are in constant fear of their significant other or children catching a sv*? Probably a silly question, but it this fear is affecting my work, definitely affecting my sleep and I can't stop obsessing over the fear of v*.

Okay, done for now, thanks for listening- advise would be appreciated.

Welcome Veganmama.

While I don't have kids, I can certainly relate to some of your behavior. Especially the obsessive hand washing, constant cleaning and sanitizing,and the paranoia of catching asv*.

It was a relief for me to find this site too and to learn so many otherscontend with emetophobia.Below is the link to my blog which tells of my experiences, some of my behavioral traits, and how I try to deal with it.

http://fearsandphobias.blogspot.com/...was-accused-of -having-eating-disorder.html

By the way, my sister has two kids that catch sv* frequently and neither she, nor her husband,have ever caught it from them. Edited by: centipede

Quote Originally Posted by centipede

Welcome Veganmama.

While I don't have kids, I can certainly relate to some of your behavior. Especially the obsessive hand washing, constant cleaning and sanitizing,and the paranoia of catching asv*.

It was a relief for me to find this site too and to learn so many otherscontend with emetophobia.Below is the link to my blog which tells of my experiences, some of my behavioral traits, and how I try to deal with it.

http://fearsandphobias.blogspot.com/...was-accused-of -having-eating-disorder.html

By the way, my sister has two kids that catch sv* frequently and neither she, nor her husband,have ever caught it from them.

Thank you so much for responding, that makes me feel much better about your sister. So far *knocks on wood* no one has caught the sv* from her yet.

Veganmama, I am new to the site too and glad that I have found it. I can totally relate to your feelings. I don't have kids yet but want to some day and taking care of them when they get a sv is one of my biggest fears.

Centipede, Your sisters never getting sick makes me feel a lot better too! Thanks for sharing your blog also. I am going to check it out.

Welcome guys! I can definitely relate to that fear. I think we all can to a degree.

Veganmama, are you getting any sort of help? I have improved SOOO much from August '06. I've done that with therapy & meds. I agree that emetophobia can be a hellish prison! It really doesn't have to be. I can't say that I'm "cured" because I still get anxiety when (like today) my daughter came home from school complaining about her stomach. So, I struggle when I'm faced with the possibility of a sv*. But, the day to day life is usually without abnormal levels of anxiety.

What I also highly recommend is to go to the Q&A section of IES & read about viruses. They don't seem quite as random when you know how they are transferred & what they do.

Hope this helps . . .

susan

PS. My kids have had the sv* twice this winter & my husband once, all at different times. They didn't spread it too each other & I haven't had it at all. Knock on wood!!!!
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

Hey

I am not a mother, but i have a 4 year old brother that is in kindergarten for the first time and he has broughten all sorts of illnesses home. I worry constantly that he will get the sv* or my dad or step mom because i am close contact with them. I know this is a prision that we have put ourselves in, but that is our cross to bear...and we can overcome this. i hope at least, thats what i tell myself. just do everything you can to prevent this the sv* and try and relax because when you have heightened stress your immune system works less fyi.

good luck, we r all here for you!

<DIV>Turleiam I've been knocking on all kinds of wood as well as washing my hands a lot too! :-) </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Welcome to the boards veganmamaof3.</DIV>
    CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

Welome to the site veganmama! You'll find lots of support, advice and encouragement here!!! Great to have you as a member!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hey Veganmama - welcome to the site. I'm so sorry that you are suffering so greatly with anxiety. What you describe as the quality of your life is just heartbreaking. Please check out the information regarding treatments on this forum. There are good anti-anxiety medications you might be able to take which would really improve the quality of your life. Also, there is therapy that is very gentle and non-threatening...you can be completely anxiety-free one day. What a gift to not only you but your children and husband as well.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions after reading the material. Take care and good luck! Never lose hope, eh?
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.