Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I already posted about this on the other site but not all people were on that one sooo..Im going to see if anyone else has any info they would like to contribute ...Im soooooo scared.. I have to get all four of mine removed and I have to be sedated while they do it. I am so scared that I will..you know.. The dentist said that there is only a 2% chance of it happening as compared to 10% with genral anethesia.....

Any experiences with this procedure that you may have had would be awsome to read ...tell me everything that happened ..Im sure no one was as nervous as I am right now. I booked my appointment for the 25th of April and now Im in a constant state of panic because I know that its kinda hanging over my shoulders you know...

If anyone has been sedated how did you feel when you came out of it ??

I look forward to reading all the respones. Thanks in advance.

I chose NOT to be sedated, I had all 4 of mine pulled under local anethesia, it was fine and I didn't get ill. I don't have any experience with *going under*, though. If you are that scared, you could perhaps ask if just a local anethesia (shots) vs. being totally knocked out.

GL!

I was sedated and had all 4 out and I was fine. No n* or v*. Ask your doctor if it would be alright totake an over the counter anti-emet should you fall into the 2%.

I also had liposuction of the abdomen with sedation and felt fine afterward. Being an emet, you're probably less likely to fall into that 2% than the average person.

veganmamaof3 - i asked the dentist if I could do it with just local and he said "it is VERY unusual for us to do this type of procedure with just local" that is why he suggested the middle method...not totally knocked out and not awake...I did however ask for an anti emetic and he said he could give me that..but I have never taken one does anyone know how reliable they are?

centipede- what does it feel like when you are waking up from sedation ?

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled out and had general. I woke up, spent half an hour in recovery and was only me way home shortly after that. No n* no v*.

happyteacher - omg you had general ?? how was that ? were you nervous at all ? Edited by: punchbuggy

i am getting mine out soon too. i am not going all the way under, but my person has a nitrous gas that he gives me and it calms you down so much. it is heaven i was so tense (during a filling) and then i took one breath of the gas and immediatly relaxed. ask for that for any dental work...it saves my tusch!

Quote Originally Posted by punchbuggy

centipede- what does it feel like when you are waking up from sedation ?

I remember hearing my name and then just waking up in the recovery room. As soon as I realized it was over I remembernot feeling n*

eeb1017 - are you as nervous as i am...im literally freaking out and i cant sleep at night because i worry over this soo much

centipede - im glad that you had a good experience with it. I know only 10 percent of people experience nausea and vomitting from general but to me that sounds HUGE lol

YES i am soooo freaked out. My dad thinks i am insane because i am so scared i am going to v* or have n*. He just doesn't understand it, i switched oral surgeons because of what type they were going to use, maybe you could do that. When are you getting them out, i have a month or so and thats only teh bottem two, the top haven't come in yet...yikes! pm me if youd like to further rant on our upcoming insane teethe removing surguries
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

lol yes INSANE is right. I have to have all four done at once ...and mine have not come out yet because the dentist said it is better for me to do it now (because the roots have not fully developed yet).

Do you know what they are using on you. Local, genreal, sedation ?

Quote Originally Posted by punchbuggy
    happyteacher - omg you had general ?? how was that ? were you nervous at all ?

I was VERY nervous. In fact, when they put the heart monitor on me in the operating room you should have heard how fast my heart was beating (I also struggle ALOT with having an IV). They gave me some gas and I calmed down. General isn't pleasant, but neither is watching and hearing your teeth being ripped out (I had to have incisions and stitches because the teeth were impacted)! In my case, the benefits outweighed the risks, I guess.

In the end I was just fine.

happyteacher - well im glad that you were fine and i cant even imagine ever being calm enough to be put to sleep ...like i would literally have a heart attack....

when i pretend to myself that i am getting them out tomorrow or something my eyes fill up with tears..i seriously dont know how i am going to get through this .[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I had a general when I had all four of mine pulled. No n* or v*. I am sure that you will be fine!

You WILL be just fine. You'll look back at this and see it as a step forward.

If you decide to have general or "twilight sleep" which is major sedation that involves needles, what I do is ask that the IV be put in AFTER I am on the operating table and laying down. I also ask for a sedative before hand.

happyteacher - well its not like i decided the dentist sort of told me that he was going to do sedation...through i.v ..

do they not do this in a dentists chair you actually have to be put on an operating table ?

The one time I had "twilight sleep" I was in the dentist chair, but when I had general I was in a hospital in the operating room.

Hang in there!

i had all 3 of mine taken out.....there was never a 4th....not even in an xray...lol

and i was numbed and had nitrus and was awake the whole time...peice of cake.

*deep breath* thank you all....i am going to go through with this and i WILL be ok. you all helped to calm me down ..however i am not completely cool about it and i will probably be a complete wreck the night before but im just going to do it and get it over with.

happyteacher - it makes me feel way better that i will not be on an operating table. fewwwf

..okay...not gunna lie here..anxiety is getting higher as the day gets closer ..how did you guys keep yourselves calm?? I am still really worried I honestly have no clue how i will be the day before the surgery, i have no idea why i am so freaked over this ?

Ok, showing my age here but I had all 4 of mine out when I was 17 so that was 15 years ago, Yikes! I was really nervous too and they did totally knock me out. I don't remember anything after counting backwards from 10 after 8. I woke up laying in a recovery chair in another room, they picked me up and moved me lol. I don't even remember that.

I was put in a wheelchair and my dad took me to the car, got me in, drove to the pharmacy for my pain meds and took me home. Don't remember any of that until we were getting out of the car. I wasn't as phobic as I am now so didn't even ask for an antiemetic. But I never got s*. I basically slept all day which isthe good thing about being completely under, you are sleepy for the rest of the day and that was nice.

I don't remember feeling that bad, it was nice to get something in my stomach in the afternoon so think I ate some yogurt. Still not s*. Even took the vicodin on an empty stomach and nothing.

It's a bit uncomfortable (not tummy) for a few days but you'll be fine. You really will! Take the antiemetic since your doctor says that's fine, it will help. My husband just had his out a few years ago and the doc sent him home with a bottle of them (which I ended up using) so that he would take them with the pain meds just to make sure. He never got s* either and I was really worried about that.

I still cannot stand the thought of cotton in my mouth though after all these years and can't even take cotton out of as aspirin bottle, how weird is that? Try not to panic, you really will be fine and I bet it will be a breeze for you. Sorry this was so long, I just got caught up in reminiscing :-)

I had the gas with mine, and it was not unpleasant at all. I love the gas, but I'll digress. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]No problems whatsoever, I wasn't even in pain once the tooth was out, it was more relief. This will be a breeze!
    JANNA

Wow, I'm seeing this one late, anyhow, I've had IV sedation twice w/ two different oral surgeons (one time was 5 teeth removed and some work for an implant) and was nervous both times. It was all fine tho! Make sure they give you anti emetics in the IV, tho I'm sure it isn't necessary it's good for the emet mind. Both times, I don't remember much of anything after they gave me the IV. I remember bits and pieces of getting in the car to go home and getting into bed. Next full memory is waking up HUNGRY and eating some mashed potatoes and taking some OTC IB Profen (sp). I was NEVER n*! Not even once! The only time I was n* was BEFORE the IV and surgery from my nerves. Best advice I can give is try to sleep proped a bit the first day/night or so so that you don't get blood dripping and so that (I think) it doesn't hurt as much. I really didn't have much pain, OTC pain meds and ice packs were all I used and was perfectly fine. And wow I wrote a lot lol. Anyhow, you will do fine and be so glad to have it done, this is a one time shot and you will NEVER have to have it done again! WHOO!

Just wanted to add that the not knowing what to expect is the worst part of the whole ordeal! I'm reading what you write and that is ME when I had to have it done! I cried and worried and was so scared! But really its nothing, you wake up from it as you do from sleep, you don't remember/hear anything, don't dream it's like you closed your eyes and then just wake up and time has passed. It's kinda cool actually lol. If you need/want to chat pm me! You're gonna be fine! Edited by: SimplyMe
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I have never had anything BUT a general. I asked for lots of anti-nausea meds and was given them both times. I felt NO nausea whatsoever. I did however have a hard time waking up. The anesthesiologist told me that was from the anti-nausea cocktail he gave me. It sucked, but I would take that over feeling or getting sick. If they offer you the anti-nausea meds. Take them...they worked wonderfully for me. The recovery from wisdom tooth removal was totally easy! No big deal AT ALL! Good luck, an do let us hear how it went!

Hey! I'm glad someone posted this. I have to have my lower 2 out, since one is horizontal and pressing against another tooth, and my other lower tooth is impacted as well. I made my consultation appointment today, I'm hoping he won't say I should have all four out, I'm only going to let them take out the ones that are being a pain right now. My dentist said my one upper wisdom tooth will probably lower into the space that was created when I had to have an upper molar removed. I'm not sure about the other one. Anyway, I'm nervous about it and I'm hoping that my BP will remain normal, that's why I couldn't have them out a few years ago, my BP was too high.

I'm not really worried about feeling ill after surgery, just getting through the procedure is making me nervous.

Somewhere out there things make sense..someone knows where it is and guards the secret...

I've had a general 3 times, and only got sick once. That wwas when I had my tonsils out in the 3rd grade. I had laproscopic surgery when I was 16 and when I was 26 and was fine both times. Like someone else said, I even took Vicodin on an empty tummy and no problems.

I do know that they gave me Zofran in my IV during and after my last surgery, but I don't know about the others. They said they did the Zofran because they gave me Demoral and even by IV it can make you sick.

I need to have my wisdom teeth out too. I had one drilled out when I was 17 (with just novacin-I don't recommend that) so I have 3 left. One is coming through the gum, but has been for years and it's never bothered me.
    Amanda

Proud mommy to:
    Michael (11)
    Bethanie (7)
    Peanut (EDD 14 March 2009)

Im getting mine out the 15th of May, they are giving me Valume, and nitrous gas...i am uber freaked though.

good luck with yours though, we will all be praying for you!

Erin
    \"The habbits of inattention and absence are strong, yet the experience of life, moment by moment, is precious\"

AIM = burnbaby1017

Hi, sorry this is late but hope it helps. I had 3 out about 11 years ago and told the guy flat out about my fear of getting sick. I was totally afraid that if I swallowed blood, I would get sick. He said not to worry and that I wouldn't get sick. I had an IV sedation with valium, decadron (for swelling) and all I remember is that he gave me a lot and I couldn't get out of the chair when I was done (I am 5 ft 1 in and 95 lbs). My hubby had to help me and drive home...Also, I never took any pain meds. Just Advil (ibuprofen). No problems. So I would say be honest with the doc, even ask for anti-emetic if you want, and try not to take the pain meds if you can. I think you will be fine.

Why not take the pain meds?
    Amanda

Proud mommy to:
    Michael (11)
    Bethanie (7)
    Peanut (EDD 14 March 2009)