Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Much improved

The last bad bout I had with emetophobia was in the summer of 2005. I couldn't eat, sleep, or basically do anything because I was terrified I would vomit. I have come a long way since then, with the help of therapy and medication. I can write the word vomit, look at pictures of vomit, read stories about vomit and watch videos of people vomiting with litttle to no anxiety. I've also gone to a theme park and went on every roller coaster there, to overcome my refusal to go on rides because I thought I would get sick. My brain still brings up thoughts about vomiting, but they don't have the same shock affect as they used to. They're thoughts, so what? Thoughts can't hurt me. I haven't avoided anything because of fear of vomiting in a long time.

So I'm doing much better, but still have a little ways to go. I still feel anxiety (although very slight) when someone says something is "going around." I still need to do in vivo exposure therapy, at a hospital or somewhere like that. And I still get anxious when my husband comes down with something, because I think he may end up vomiting. But I don't run away anymore, I don't leave the house to stay at a hotel, and I don't panic for hours on end. I feel the anxiety, acknowledge it, and get on with whatever I was doing.

Not cured yet, but I'm working on it.

kel

Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

That is really great news Kel.

Lisa

That's so great! It always encouraging to hear success stories.

That's great Kel...just keep moving forward and you'll find that one day you have no anxiety at all. (Moving "backward" would be moving back to avoiding again). You're an awesome example of how well someone can do with real commitment to healing.

God bless...
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.