Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Sage, are you familiar with acceptance and commitment therapy? I learned some of it from my last therapist (he's gone now, so I'm without a therapist, but that's another issue) and some of it is at odds with CBT. I'm planning to keep going with exposure therapy and the "cognitive" portion of ACT therapy while trying to find another therapist. Just wanted your input on ACT and how it relates to emetophobia.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

My therapist dealt with this a little, and from your other post about getting better, it sounds like our therapies have been very similar, and we are in very similar places. Sorry, I'm not Sage, but I'm here if you ever want to discuss! :-)

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Hey kel,

I hadn't really heard of it, but just did a little reading on it - it seems ok to me. I'm not sure where they're at "odds" with regular CBT but there are purists in every approach who wouldn't like anything new - lol. The basic thing is - if it works for you, then it's good! If you find after a while that is isn't working for you, then you can move to another therapist.

The idea of becoming aware of one's bodily reaction, and just sort of sitting with it is very good - I like that. My psychologist-supervisor a few years ago when I was doing my training asked me to do this...just to "notice" the panic response or elevated anxiety...and just to sit with it. Like sort of saying "hello" or "here it is again oh wow...". It was brilliant, and really helpful. The ACT stuff seems to incorporate some of that. But I'm certainly no expert in it or anything...haven't read too much really.

Take care then!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yep, my therapist had me practice "sitting with an uncomfortable feeling". Is that kinda what you mean?
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I think so, but it's so hard to talk about this stuff on the internet! My therapist also had me sit in uncomfortable feelings. His form of therapy, which I've adopted as well is "EFT" or Emotion-Focused Therapy. He uses this (as I do) in conjunction with CBT. I also use Family-Systems Theory therapy and integrate that with CBT and Emotion work. Some therapists use hypnosis, EMDR and other things. It's all good so long as it works, and so long as a therapist doesn't get stuck on one method being some sort of "instant cure".
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.