Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Is it SA?

Hello everyone! I hope you all have had a relatively panic-free evening so far! =)

I have a question that I don't think has been answered anywhere, so here it goes:

Like everyone else, I hate vomiting. I do fear it, but if it was a choice between death and the stomach flu (a popular analogy I've seen in other emet forums), I would chose stomach flu. I don't get any anxiety from any associations with vomit (words, images, etc), and I don't watch what I'm eating. Generally, I don't give it much thought when I'm at home or out with friends.

The only time it seems to pop up is when I'm in glass, sitting there listening to a lecture. Then I may/may not get panic attacks that I can manage, but my thoughts always consist of "What if I get sick in the middle of class?" Mind, it's not feel sick and actually doing it that sets me off into a panic, it's doing it front of others. That's when my emetophobia shows, and that's when I plan ways to escape 'in case'. Oddly, it also depends on my teacher. If I have a teacher I am comfortable with I don't think about it much. If the teachers is strict or tough, I freak out over what they may think if it happens

Now I know social anxiety is a type of disorder in which your thoughts/actions are consumed by what other people think/the judging factor.

So my question is this: Do you think I actually have a weird form of Social Anxiety, or am I wrong and it is emetophobia? if it is SA, what do you think I can about it?

I think its a combination of both.

You or your mind obviously wants to avoid getting sick in front of people, to avoid embarrasment or judgement.

Your social anxiety may contribute to being afraid of getting sick in front of people.

Are you afraid of v* if you are by yourself?

Not really. I do panic a little if I feel nauseous but that's just because like most everybody else I don't like to vomit. Imagining myself getting sick doesn't make my heart race any faster than looking at pictures or videos of people getting sick.

Honestly, if I were to get sick right now I think I would be just fine, minor panic aside.

It's odd, because normally I don't care what people think of my actions or words, but when I'm in class listening to my teacher lecture the image of me being sick in front of everyone pops into my head and bam! instant panic attack.

Also, getting sick in front of friends or family doesn't bother me either. That's why I'm able to go out with friends as often as I do.

And I have come terms with the fact that I would feel nauseous for awhile before I get sick (meaning I could very well get a pass to the bathroom/nurse before anything happens), but it hasn't done much to ease my odd fear.

I think fearing that you will be sick in front of others is common with Social Anxiety Disorder. That kinda goes along with being afraid to use public toilets, b/c of others hearing your "business."

There are lots of forms of social anxiety, and not everyone has each symptom of it. You just got "blessed" with the emetophobia one.

Anyway, welcome to the site!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, that confirms about as much as I figured, but nonetheless, thanks. =)

I really appreciated your responses! Congrats on the baby btw.

Oh, and further lurking of these forums has made me realize that very few people say certain words, so I apologize if my saying those words triggered anything, or made any of you offended. That was not my intention. :O

Sometimes I forget that some words can mean nothing to one person, but can have a profound affect of dozens of others.