Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am living in Belgium now and I am so shocked about people here. We
    happen to live in the center of this town called Gent and there are so
    many people here. in 8 months I have seen like 25 v* on the street,
    while I haven't seen any in 23 years except my own or my little
    brother's.. It's like every week there's something new waiting for me
    outside. I don't know why and how people can be like that, but it's
    true. My bf is not afraid of it but even he is very disgust by the fact
    that we need to look where we walk all the time.. So anyway, about 25
    minutes ago I saw a woman v* on the street and saying "sorry sorry". I
    freaked out and ran away, she wasn't close to me or anything, but damn
    that was so awful ( Why? Why? Why people v* on the street??? All i
    can think of now is how I step occasionally on someone's v* without
    even knowing that and then come home and bring all those viruses and
    bacteria on my floor... or how people drop their things on the street,,
    pick them up and then touch everything.. This is not life for me right
    now

You only live once

Longgone, you should write this up for the Ghent tourism board. It ought to appear in some of their ads. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lol, maybe. But I don't think people are bothered by this that much. To
    me it's a huge shock because of the fear. I just hope that those who v*
    on the streets do not have a sv.. maybe they are drunk or something
    like that though the woman I saw did not seem drunk

Edited by: longgone
    You only live once

How terrible! I was just thinking that in the 30 years I've lived in British Columbia, Canada, I have NEVER ONCE seen any vomit on the street or anywhere for that matter. NOR have I ever seen someone sick! (Although of course this led to natural "avoidance" and made my phobia worse! So I wouldn't advise moving here til you're treated - lol)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Well they say that people drink a lot here and the beer is very strong
    here. But still it does not explain this.. I think that they are not
    very neat people in general because they also allow their dogs to poop
    everywhere. There's even this saying that if you walk into dog's poop,
    it means luck.
    You only live once

By the way, do you guys think that it is very possible to get sick by I
    don't know stepping into v* without knowing and then somehow bringing
    it home? I mean would you be scared of getting it? I wash my hands all
    the time, but my bf is not that careful...
    You only live once

It sounds just like England, lol! My goodness after every weekend vomit is littered eveywhere - all from the weekend drunks. I hate it! You go into town on a Monday and it is like an obstacle course, yuk! Come Christmas and New Year, well, it's beyond words! I'd say it's definitely 99.9% from drunk people (like over here), so try not to worry about catching anything.

Maybe we should go live in British Columbia, lol! Is alcohol banned there Sage are is it just inhabited with sensible people?![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I haven't seen this either. That is really disgusting.

Eww. I have seen *it* on a very rare occasion here in the US. I would be horrified.
    Joanne

I'm sorry you had to see that.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I have only seen a woman pulled over and v* outside of her car. It was right near my work, and I had to drive by everyday! Yuck!

Oh, I absolutely HATE that when it happens! Aside from being disgusting to me and for it triggering my emet, I wish it woudn't happen, but it does and sometimes it simply cannot be helped. Sigh.

I grew up in New York City in the '60's and '70's before my former neighborhood became the chic place to live that it is now. My block was surrounded by two large avenues - Amsterdam and Columbus - that were littered by *V* ( written that way for the sensitive among us) for various reasons at various times. Amsterdam Avenue was where the junkies (heroin) got high and went into a "nod" as the drug coursed through their veins. If they didn't have their fix, chances were high that someone would get sick, which - of course - freaked me out. Columbus Avenue, on the other hand, was drunk heaven. There was a bar right at its corner and on most weekends - but especially during the holiday season or St. Patrick's Day - someone would get really sick, which again, freaked me out. One morning while heading off to my high school one of the drunks got really sick in front of me and all but ruined my day. Of course, like most emets, I obsessed about it all day long, avoided the spot each day on my way to and from school, and for weeks afterwards - long after it went away - I stared at the spot with great anxiety and fear. Not sure why, but you know how it goes. I still remember it clearly, just as I can the various other occasions when it happened near me.

As for catching a stomach virus from it in the event you stepped on it? It's highly unlikely that would happen. You would have to be directly exposed to do so, in addition to already being vulnerable to such an illness like youare when you catch a cold. Your immune system has to be weakened in that scenario, but if it isn't it can fight it off.

Try not to worry about it. Easier said than done, I know.

PS: The worst place for me when people get sick? Crowded subways and airplanes from which you cannot escape. Talk about anxiety and terror!

Be true to yourself and the rest will follow.

You know it was a big shock when I moved up to glasgow. The place where I grew up no one had dogs, no one at all, it was a cat place haha and then I move here and there is just dog poo everywhere! OMG I fell in love with where my friend lives in Canada because it just wasn't anywhere on the street, I didn't have to watch every step like I do here. It makes me embarrassed to have people here haha
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

its like the uk at a weekend, people get so drunk and they just v* everywhere, they should get fined for it, you get a fine for peeing in the street so why not for v* ?

sorry you had to see that tho hun xx
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

Since moving to londonive just had to get used to it. Its everywhere. Not a day goes by without seeing it atleast 4 or 5 times. I think its mainly because of the drinking culture here and with london being such apopulated place it all seems to happen here. In a way it actually makes me feel safer - that if I ever felt sick when I was out no one would bat an eyelid -whereas where I grew upit would be noticed much more. I saw my first person v* in the street 2 weeks ago. It was during the day and was a well dressed lady with a suitcase - probably on her way to the station opposite. I wont go into detail but I saw it all - was horrible. I guess its something you get used to seeing. In the past I would have had a huge panic attack when I saw it - but now I just aknowledge it and carry on walking (making sure I dont go anywhere near it!) It may be something that you get used to like me, but maybe you could try a bit of exosure therapy on your computer - looking at images of it in your own time. Maybe that would prepare you. I think its the shock of seeing it too that is the worst part.

Good luck!
    <!--
    bmi_SafeAdd&#079;nload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",1);//-->

Eww, that would leave me traumatised. I live in Toronto and I don't see it THAT much, but I see it frequently. V* that is. I've only seen one guy v* in public before, but it was long ago (and still bothers me). What really bothers me is I've seen v* several times in the exact</span> same spot inside the shelter on the train platform. Why inside</span> the shelter? I need that shelter!

You can't catch anything by walking by it on the street, but stepping directly in it would not be good. If you do that, you should sanitize the living hell out of your shoe before you go into the house. Seriously, it's the vomitus itself that carries all the viral particles - billions of them. And you only need between 10 and 100 to get sick. So...vomitus is bad. So is poop. I don't recommend avoidance normally, but I strongly recommend avoiding stepping in the stuff!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    So is poop. I don't recommend avoidance normally, but I strongly recommend avoiding stepping in the stuff!

But there are dogs' poop everywhere on the streets, so is it still dangerous?

You only live once

Well I think it goes without saying that it's a good idea not to step in vomit or poop, dog poo is dangerous. It's not a problem if you do just wash your shoes and clean them thoroughly. I cleaned poo twice off an old pair of trainers, 3rd time was the kick up the bum to just throw them in the bin and pay more attention to where I step It is literally everywhere here even right outside my front door so it's not easy.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I think it is a big city thing. I see it alot when I go into San Francisco. Lots of drunk-drugged out people there. Needless to say I dont go in to the city alot, even though I am only a half hour away.

--Kim

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick
    You know it was a big shock when I moved up to glasgow. The place where I grew up no one had dogs, no one at all, it was a cat place haha and then I move here and there is just dog poo everywhere! OMG I fell in love with where my friend lives in Canada because it just wasn't anywhere on the street, I didn't have to watch every step like I do here. It makes me embarrassed to have people here haha

Oh god, yeah Glasgow is horrible for that sort of thing! It's filthy! Seen worse place though.

I think I should move to Helsinki, when I was there Ibarely even seen a piece of litter on the streets nevermind V*.

A few months ago I was going to the gym with my husband and daughter. As soon as I opened the car door I hear someone doing IT. At first I tried to tell myself it was just coughing but then IT happened again. I looked at my husband SCARED TO DEATH and asked him if he thought someone was v*ing and he shrugged his shoulders so...

we all piled out of the car and sure enough on my way in there was a guy hanging out of the car door a v*ing -- EWW...

And although my fight or flight instinct said FLEE, FLEE, FLEE and even my daughter said "lets just go home, mom (she knows all about my emet) I went in and did my usual workout routine (I was pasty white and shaking all over - LOL - but stayed).

I was SLIGHTLY proud of myself until I couldn't get myself back there the next day, or week or month. In fact, I just recently started going back -- took me about 4 months - LOL (stupid miswired brain of mine!!!).

So although I don't understand the piles and piles of it everywhere I do understand the trama that accompanies this stuipd phobia of ours.

This has got to be the most disgusting thing ever! It's like these people in these cities think it's a badge of honor to b**f all over town? It's not only disrespectful, it's impolite. Do people have no manners anymore? sheesh!</span></font></span>
    ~♥Little1♥~