Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey guys,

Ok, here is what i go thru w/ panic attacks:

One night i was driving home from somewhere, and I get this stomachache all of a sudden. I try to forget about it, but doing so makes me think about it more and more. I begin to get really hot so i turn the air on. I start to get dizzy. When I get to red lights or if i am in a traffic jam, i freak out, pleading for the light to turn green or for the traffic to break, so that i can be home, in my house, in my room, in my bed, under the covers, where my safe haven is. Then when i get what i call "spurts of anxious", where the peak comes, my hand goes to my mouth and i bite. I dont know why, maybe its like nail-biting, but worse? Sometimes a little blood comes. I still do it, not nearly as much, but I still have scars. If i am not in a vehicle, and i am standing, i tend to pace back and forth. If anyone has similar situations, or could describe what they go through when they have panic attacks over vomiting, that would be so fantastic. Also, email me at [email protected] or AIM me at EverydayAnjewel.

thankyousomuch,

LauraEdited by: sage
    \"You Were Never Anything Less Than Beautiul...\" -Jewel

Laura,

I fixed your email addres for you.

What you describe is very typical of panic attacks - almost everyone will experience nearly the same thing. Biting your hand "helps" you to feel a different sensation than panic. It's sort of a coping mechanism. Until you find better ways to cope, this is what you'll use, so don't worry about it too much.

There is really good treatment for panic attacks/emetophobia. You can learn to overcome them, but it takes a while. Keep watching this website for treatment information to appear on the left side -- the site is fairly new, so we'll have it up over the next few months for sure.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Laura-

First, remember that a true stomach ailment rarely comes on suddenly like that. Every emet *I* know that has ever had a real stomach illness usually feels sick for hours and hours before anything happens (and it rarely does).

Now, next time that happens, ask yourselfif you really WILL feel better once youare at home, in your house, in your room, in your bed, under the covers. Of course you will. Which means: nothing is wrong with you. If you were truly sick, you will feel sick no matter where you are. That also means that if you are NOT sick, then you can feel fine wherever you are RIGHT NOW. So, why wait until you get home to let yourself relax? Do it now!

Anyway, that is something that has helped me, and I hope it can help other people, too!
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

It is about the same thing with me. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I get panic attacks in response to N/V. I'll begin to feel queasy (and it's been a REALLY BAD WEEK FOR THAT), and then I'll start feeling my heart POUND hard in my chest. Sometimes it feels as though my heart is burning, but it will spread to my entire body, too. Then I begin to shake. I have no coping method per se, but if I wake up like this in the wee hours, I'll grab a book and read until it passes. However, I often find I literally worry myself sick. SAGE - you're an expert. What can I really do? I have no health insurance right now (my husband is laid off and I'm a full time student).

Soluene-

Wow, I have never thought about it like that. :-) Thank you. I think the other problem i have is that after having so many panic attacks and seeing how they make me act and feel, makes me fear the panic attack itself! What a vicious cycle, dont you think?

thankyousomuch,

-Laura
    \"You Were Never Anything Less Than Beautiul...\" -Jewel

i can explain my panic attacks really well, cos ihad the worst one ever, last night.

my heart just starts missing beats, and pulses really hard, and it feels lke its burning inside of me. i shake uncontrollably and sumtimes find it difficult to breathe. i find what helps me is moving around and talking to myself in my head about how im fine and i wil be fine where-ever i happen to be. although, of course this is a lot harder than it sounds.

anyway, soluene, you have a very interesting point, and ur very good with words as well, i thought! lol

Jen xxxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Quote Originally Posted by soluene

Now, next time that happens, ask yourselfif you really WILL feel better once youare at home, in your house, in your room, in your bed, under the covers. Of course you will. Which means: nothing is wrong with you. If you were truly sick, you will feel sick no matter where you are. That also means that if you are NOT sick, then you can feel fine wherever you are RIGHT NOW. So, why wait until you get home to let yourself relax? Do it now!

Thats exactly what i do!!! If i am panicking and thinking that i just need to be home, i realise that it means i am only panicking, if it is true nausea then i am thinking very different things. It even helped me when i panicked in London. They are wise words!!!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Laura-

And so you bring truth to the words: The only thingwe have tofear is fear itself. The truth is, the only reason we fear v*ing so much is because of the PANIC, ANXIETY, RACING HEART, MUST ESCAPE, LOSING CONTROL, I'M GOING TO DIE feeling that we get when we are exposed to it. If we did not react that way to v*ing, then we would not fear it!

I don't know if I'm making any sense, but...generally, people with phobias only fear something because they have associated an intense amount of stress with something that is not really that scary. If you talk to Kel on this site - she made herself v*, got through it, and still fears it. That is because even though she dealt with the physical aspect of v*ing, she did not deal with the anxiety that goes with it. (Kel, that is how I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

And yes, panic attacks/anxiety do lead to vicious cycles. That is why I say to you: make yourself relax NOW - don't wait until you get home. That will help interrupt the cycle and teach you that if you can be anxious anywhere, you can also be CALM anywhere.

Glad to have helped you guys!
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

Fraidy Cat,

If you can, save your pennies and buy the book "Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Bourne. (Bourne's thereal expert - lol)Read it very carefully, take notes, and work through the exercises. You'll note in that book at some point he makes a list of symptoms of panic attacks. Everything described here is on that list. But NOT vomiting. I repeat: vomiting is NOT a symptom of panic attacks. So as much as you think you're sick - you're not, and you won't be. You just have to learn to recognize a panic attack for what it is, ride it out, and stop fearing IT.

The book will really help you if you're serious about getting better, and can't afford any therapy right now.

The other thing is that you may be eligible for some free counselling somehow...I'm not sure of the rules in your country around health care and family services. But if you're a religious person, you could even talk to a minister, priest or rabbi. Just having someone to "journey with" (even if they're not an expert on phobia, and can't really treat you) is a good thing.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Fraidy Cat - You said you wanted therapy but didn't have the $? I am in therapy right now and I can talk more openly on this site than I can in my therapists office. Although it does help, talking to other people with my problem has helped even more. Like my therapist had never heard of emet until I came to her. But when I talk to people on here they know what i'm talking about and they won't say patronizing stuff. If you need to talk about anything you can email ([email protected]) or IM me (Billabondi) on AOL. I think talking to other people with the problem is my key to recovering. Nothing else has helped me near as much and I am so thankful I found this site!

-Kira

Oh and Laura - I don't bite my hand when I have panic attacks, but I clench my teeth really really hard. I had to get a filling put on one of my teeth because I had clenched so much that I dug a hole in it and it was getting down to the nerves and making it sensitive. I think it's just a natural response trying to get the anxiety out of our bodies. I just think of it as all these little drops of stress that finally boil over and just have to come out of us, so we have a panic attack. And if we pace or bite or clench our teeth it's like trying to get it out faster. Or just another way of getting it out to try to displace the panic attack. Like if I clench my teeth hard enough the panic attack will stop. I hope I explained that right!

-Kira

Very wise words Soluene!!

I agree that if it weren't for the intense fear and anxiety we have over this, v*ing would not be a problem. Easier said than done I know! Very wise words too about how if you really are sick your gonna feel that way no matter where you go, and if you are just panicking, your gonna be ok no matter where you go.

I have found that chewing gum helps me, if your chewing and swallowing constantly it helps calm your gag reflex. I also drink water and roll my toungue around and sometimes bite it o.o
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Hmmm, when I feel like I'm going to throw up, I'll usually clench my
    jaw really tight, tilt my head on my left shoulder, and look for
    patterns in things. I dont necessarily try to look for patterns, I just
    randomly start counting or doing that without even thinking.

Laurele, Im with u! I hate it when im stuck in a traffic jam, im always afraid the next car over will see me freaking, cracking my knuckles etc! My home is my safe place im always afraid im borderline agoraphobic, because of feeling so safe at home!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">In a car my anxiety is exactly the same except I nibble my right finger nuckle till it is raw. I hate being stuck in traffic ESPECIALLY if I have to be passenger which is very rare. I crack my knuckles and breath hard and I don't talk/cant talk. When you described the hot feeling I had like a sympathetic heat wave. I know the feeling so well.
    I managed a few weeks ago to talk myself out of being panicked on a trip to Vancouver as a passanger which was an hour long ride. I chew gum a lot or suck hard candies and sip something. My husband and I rarely go on a car ride without bringing or stopping for ginger ale. </TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I have the same reactions. I just wanna run away and if I can't then I really freak out. I understand totally what your talking about, sometimes if it's bad enough I will pass out. Just thinking about it now has me feeling a bit nervous. I think that is pretty much everyone's reaction, some not as bad and some worse, like me. I don't know anyone who freaks out like me.
    We\'ll beat this!

Jennifer - when I first came on this website I said the same thing: "I don't think anyone freaks out like me". Then the more people I talked to, the more I realized that a lot of people freak out even worse than I do, which I never thought was possible! I have definitely passed out from anxiety before. And I always get a little anxious when I'm talking about panic attacks too. You start to talk about them, then you start to live them over again and you feel your heart beating a little faster. But I promise it gets easier. Once you find other people going through the same kinds of things, you realize you're not the only one who freaks out like that. If there's anything I can do, just let me know!
    -&lt;-(@
    Kira
    -&lt;-(@