Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am new to this site, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
    I'm not a medication person, i hate it and wont take it unless i really feel it's necessary. (partially because i'm afraid of the side effects, but mostly, because i am convinced the USDA allows doctors to give people placebos to make money). I used to have depression. It was the hardest time in my life, and i never took meds for that. (i'm all better now). But my emetophobia is so so so horrible, and i want to know if anyone is taking medication for theirs...
    i dont care if they are placebos or not.
    do they work?
    how do they make you feel?
    do you have to get tested to take it?
    help me please.
    gimme all the info.

Hi welcome to the site!!

I used to take Lexapro for anti-anxiety/ anti-depression. It was a big help but when I first started taking it, it was terrible. I had awful side effects and stomach cramps. I could feel a difference right away though. It wasn't any eupohria or anything, I just felt lighter and a little more at ease.

I ended up coming off of the Lexapro recently because I didn't feel like it was helping with the anxiety. I knew it was making a difference with my moods, but that wasn't why I was taking it.

I switched to Buspar, which is strictly an anti-anxiety medication. I really like this stuff. You can take them as needed... pretty much whenever you're feeling worried/stressed. When I first started taking them, I felt a little lightheaded at times, but otherwise felt completely normal. I know for sure that this medication makes a difference for me, and it's definitely not a placebo. I understand your worries about the government marketing medications to make money. I think that if you find the right med though, that you will find yourself more at ease.

The decision to start a medication is up to you. You should talk it over with your family doctor... someone who knows your medical history. That way they can better diagnose a medication that will help you.

As for getting "tested"... that is so unnecessary. You know whether or not you have emet, and obv since you're on this site, you have some form of it. I wasn't tested for anything. As long as you're healthy and don't have drug allergies, you should be okay. Just remember that everyone's bodies will react differently to meds so be sure to find one you like and never start or stop it suddenly. (Your doc will explain how to start/stop a med)

Hope this info helps!!

Hysteria,

The medication normally prescribed for anxiety works on the peptides and seratonin in the brain. I could go into a long explanation, but I don't think that's necessary. The point is...these meds are not placebos. The only way you could get a placebo is if you took part in a double-blind study.

If you're thinking of a government conspiracy theory then that's a sort of paranoia I don't think anyone on this site could help you with.

The best thing to do is to follow your doctor's advice. Tell him or her about your extreme phobia, and ask for either some tranquilizers for immediate help to get started on the drugs, or some powerful anti-emetics so you won't be sick from them no matter what. Or both. Note that this is only for your own reassurance. Emetophobic people don't vomit from anti-anxiety drugs - I've never heard of that. They're usually just afraid they will, like anything else!

Take care and good luck with your treatment.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.