Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Name things you don't eat because of the emet only not the taste or anything other.

For me it would be fruit because I always worry I wont wash them well
    enough and catch something though I love the taste of almost any fruit.

Vegetables. Only some though for the same reason as fruit. I dont like many for the taste too, so it's not that important.

Sometimes fish. I am afraid it's spoiled and I wont notice that.

Anything with raw eggs. Though some cakes look damn delicious...

Edited by: longgone
    You only live once

It's funny, but I've overcome this hurdle with my emet, mostly because I am a glutton (omg, I love food, it's so bad). I got sick from drinking grape juice, Kool-Aid, eating speghetti, and steak (not all at the same time, different episodes), and for awhile I would avoid these foods, but I missed them too much to push them out of my life. I don't not eat food beause I'm afraid, but I definatly have preferences for food when I'm scared I'm going to v*

Vegetables - my number one 'safe' food, actually. I was surprised to see it as a 'don't eat' food for you longgone. I just feel like it's the 'healthiest' thing for me to eat if I don't feel well, although I'm sure grains or something else would be.

Tortilla chips - I'm not even sure why I like these when I feel yucky.

Quote Originally Posted by jezebel89
    Vegetables - my number one 'safe' food, actually. I
    was surprised to see it as a 'don't eat' food for you longgone. I just
    feel like it's the 'healthiest' thing for me to eat if I don't feel
    well, although I'm sure grains or something else would be.

But you have to wash them very carefully and still you cannot be sure they are clean [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

You only live once

Cantaloupe
    Orange Slice
    Mandarin oranges
    Chef Boyardee canned Ravioli
    Seafood on restaurant buffets

Edited by: vthokie

Seafood, red meat, raw or undercooked eggs & poultry, lunch meat, fast food.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I tend to think that if you restrict one thing you end up getting it down to nothing. I once starved myself for this phobia, living off crisps and crackerbread all day. I went down to around 93lbs.

Now I am a healthy weight and eat whatever I want. I turned vegetarian during my worst stage and I haven't turned back because I like the way I eat now, I eat so much healthier than ever before. Veggies and fruit feature big in my lifestyle now as they are so so important. I don't tend to worry, I just give em a quick wash and never even thought about them making me ill. I don't think anyone should either.

The ONE and only thing I cannot face are onion rings. I threw up after eating them once and have never been able to face the taste ever again.

I don't eat meat or fish but that is to do with my vegetarianism rather than emet. Being veggie forced me to look at different foods and recipes and I have become so into my food and trying to eat as many healthy things as possible. That isn't to say I think meat is unhealthy or that I would never eat it again, I just don't really fancy it now.

I am thinking of starting to eat fish again but we'll see. I'm not a big seafood fan to be honest. I find most of it pretty gross haha.

Anyway the point is restricting can sometimes lead onto more restriction and more restriction until you're left with nothing. It's good to challenge the emet and give our bodies the best chance possible. After all it's the only one we get

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Seafood, mushrooms, eggs outside home, fish, Indian and Asian food.

Can't eat these at all. Better safe than sorry. Mushrooms I used to eat but even since my sister got food poisoning from mushrooms, I can't even look at them.

*Graphic*

I'm ok with most foods...only things I can't eat are things I had a difficult time v*ing up when ill e.g. Chop Suey, Uncle Ben's Chicken Sauce...think that's about it!

Probably wouldn't eat seafood in a curry or from a take away and if i'm at a chinese or indian restaurant i order chicken curry or chow mein but don't eat much of the meat because i'm worried it will be under cooked but because it is in a sauce it is difficult to check for sure lol. Often if I make a curry myself I leave the meat, my partner says I should just cook the sauce, he just doesn't get it[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

There are plenty of foods I'm scared to eat butwhen my emet isn't acting up, I''ll eat them in moderation.This includes Pizza, chinese food,cream soups and cream sauces and most greasy foods.

These foods make my stomach feel heavy,bloated, and gurgly whichmakes me panic during my bad times of emet.

I was vegetarian way before I became emetophobic so I don't eat any meat, poultry, fish, or seafood but not because I'm scared to.

Edited by: centipede

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chili.....I've had 2 horrible experiences with the stuff!!

I'll eat almost anything except raw meat, shrimp, lasagna (sp?) and meatball grinders.

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick
    I don't eat meat or fish but that is to do with my vegetarianism rather than emet.

Me too. But I have this strong believe that my emet made me become a
    vegetarian. I love fish very much but everytime I say no to it, I say
    it's because I am a vegetarian. I haven't eaten it for 2 years now. And
    I don't even rememner the last time I ate other meat.

You only live once

I won't eat watermelon,green beans,milk or drink cherry koolaid because of past scenes of,well,you know.Also,the only meat i will eat is chicken,but must be boiled and fried,almost to a jerky,I am scared of salmonella. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

i won't eat chinese or fast food & i won't order seafood or any meat or
    poultry from restaurants (except the restaurant i work at b/c i trust the
    food & cooks there)... i only order salads or raw veggies from
    restaurants i trust. i prefer not to eat out at all, but my bf loves to go
    out & will only take me to "safe" restaurants & promises me before &
    after i eat that i will not get sick. (he, on the other hand, will eat sushi &
    rare steaks from just about anywhere) i inspect cans before cooking the
    food that's in them... mostly i stick to toast & english muffins & salads i
    make myself... i make sure i scrub fruits & veggies... but i don't eat
    much meat or poultry at all (which definitely has to do with my emet).

I won't eat seafood or steak thats bloody inside... apart from that I'll eat anything. Edited by: sqil30

NO meat or dairy of any kind....

Strawberries, cantaloupe due to possible salmonella poisoning.

Strawberries have the risk of salmonella??

I wont eat prawns and anything that has come into comntact with thm, I used to eat scampi til I relaised it was a shellfish!!! Im funny bout meat but not so bad if I cook it.

Miss goddess, I too cook curries (but shop bought, Sainsburys Bombay Brasserie...............mmmmmmmmm yum) but then leave the meat, my other half thinks its hilarious!

I love vegetables though, but find fruit boring!

It would be very hard for me to eat licorice if it were offered to me. Last time I v* it was after a night of drinking and I basically v* alcohol, water, and licorice.. somehow, the licorice is the thing that lost all appeal to me rather than alcohol for whatever reason :/ also, I had eaten a certain type of soy jerky and soup that day, that I haven't eaten since and really don't have a desire to..Edited by: confusedgirl

I have never been a seafood eater, but I would eat fried shrimp. Well, my husband had never had it before, and we went and ate steak and shrimp. He ate all his steak and shrimp, and most of my shrimp, and got horribly sick that night. I never got it. We assumed that he was allergic to seafood, but now he eats sushi. But I cannot eat shrimp. I don't eat seafood at all.

I also cannot eat hot dogs. I had some at a church picnic and got sick later that night. The hot dogs had nothing to do with it, but I still can't eat them.

Blueberry muffins are on my no list too. I ate those and while I didn't v*, I did dry heave, which was just about as bad.

I eat pretty much everything else, minus wheat. I have Celiac disease and can't have wheat. My meat does have to be well done, and I usually overcook pork and chicken. I love steak but it has to be practically creamated.
    Amanda

Proud mommy to:
    Michael (11)
    Bethanie (7)
    Peanut (EDD 14 March 2009)

Hippychick is right about the avoidance and restriction being unhealthy. However, I dont eat any seafood or fish, food on buffets, chicken unless i cooked it myself. When I eat out I dissect my food and never empty my plate. I also worry a lot about e coli so avoid burgers. I'm not proud of any of this, everybody else i know just eats whatever they want and they don't get fp*.

My safe foods are fruit and veg, beef, bread and chocolate. I eat lots of salad but worry about the prepackaged stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by worrygirl
    Strawberries have the risk of salmonella??

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing??

You only live once

I can't eat

-ham
    -mayo
    -fried chicken

I once didn't eat pizza for 6 years because of my phobia....I'm glad I overcame that because I love pizza.

But I also don't eat much fast food...the thought of someone else preparing food scares me.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

I love fast food especially Mc Donald's fries and fish mac.. so this is
    what I do in order to overcome my phobia of having someone else
    prepared them. I simply take away the food and put it into my oven for
    about 5 minutes. This is how bacteria is killed (right??) and I eat it,
    lol
    You only live once

I won't eat anything someone else has also been nibbling on. I'm sure I insult alot of co-workers...but no. Also, I decline dinner invitations to new friends homes. I don't know if your kitchen is clean! Actually, I'll only go to dinner at one friend's house!
    Buffets.....GROSS...except one...China Bear here in Houston...great and clean. We've eaten there hundreds of times and so far so good. Great, I just jynxed myself! ARGH
    </span></font></span>
    ~♥Little1♥~

green hi-c, scalloped potatoes, raw onions. hee hee weird stuff. I even get nervous just being around the hi-c or scalloped potatoes. Oh, and merengue. I've recently given up meat but it isn't due to my emet. I havehigh cholesterol and I'm trying to get it down without medication. I am eating a lot of soy and beans instead. It's only been a month but so far I don't miss it.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I won't eat meat if I don't know how it's been stored/prepared. (Too many in-laws thaw a roast by throwing it in the sink overnight. I'm embarrassed to ask if that's what they did for any given meal, so I just don't eat it.)

I also don't order seafood restaurants, although I will eat it if I cooked it.

I don't eat pork chops, green beans, Chex cereal, or drink Cherry Coke. Those are things I have eaten and drank right before I got the sv*. I don't eat any seafood, but only because I don't like it. Other then that, I will eat anything.

Wow. I really hope that no one is reading these and then starting to avoid everyone else's scary foods, too, and eventually becoming, like Hippy said, afraid to eat anything. This is the thing I like least about these forums. Everyone reads what everyone else is afraid of and then they think they should be afraid of it, too! Does anyone get where I am coming from?

One of my goals was to eat again all of my scary foods. I have done it, but I still do feel a little anxiety when I eat them, but I tell myself that I have nothing to fear, and I do it (most of the time!). :-)
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I hardly ever eat Chinese food, mostly because of emet.

Friend me on Facebook