Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: "Safe foods"

What are your "safe foods",meaning,what foods do you generally have no problem eating without worrying it will make you ill/v*?

I will definitely say saltine crackers for me...when my phobia acts up strongly,that is what i trust,if anything at all.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I don't really have a problem with eating. I'm actually afraid that if I don't eat I'll v*. I can eat almost anything except lasagna, undercooked meatand meatball grinders. I'm also a littlescared to eat anything from McDonald's.

I eat everything but fish in restaurants.

My safe foods are pretty much anything bland. I like potato bread. Plain pasta or rice. Plain crackers. Maybe some bubbly water or ginger ale.

Diet coke/Diet Pepsi/Diet Dr. Pepper, but those aren't really foods are they? Other safe things...plain pasta, rice, apples and that is about it.

BandNerd

BandNerd

Any kind of chips, crackers, cookies, bread, pasta, rice, cereal...I guess any carbs. But, I do eat lots of other things that could spoil. I always worry about it at least once when I do eat them.

Oddly enough my favorite food is CHIPOLTE. Love a good burrito bowl. Even when I'm feeling a bit under the weather (ie: stomach issues -- I have an ulcer) that is the food I crave even though almost everytime I overeat and give myself a (sorry if it's TMI) terrible stomach ache with d* - LOL.

I know strange behavior for an emet but hot spicy food almost always makes my stomach feel better (unless I have a virus of course).

My husband thinks I used to be mexican in a previous life - LOL

Kellygirl,that's what us kids always tell my mom,she must have mexican in her blood because she is a burrito queen,LOL! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I wanted to clarify that when i'm not having tummy troubles i can eat a variety of foods,it's just that i trust crackers most when feeling an anxious tummy. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

i dont have many safe foods to be honest most scare me or worry me at some point.. lol
    but i think if i had to say one thing i would say Pasta.. plain pasta

I have TONS of "safe" foods!

Smoothies
    Fruits + vegies
    crackers
    fresh cheeses
    junk food (not too much of it though...like chocolate, candys)
    Slightly overcooked meats, fresh cold cuts
    of course, bread (all kinds)
    etc.

I'm more of an "it's good until it's a few days away from expiration date" kind of eater.

I try to stay away from fatty/greasy foods, like take out pizza, burger king, hamburgers, etc.

But I must say, I do occaisionnally induldge in McD's once in a while...there's a rumor that there's anti-nauseas stuff in their food...and I must say, I've never felt sick after McD's!!

If my emet is playing up badly, my safe foods are bland foods and I won't eat anything I enjoy eating because I think I'm making it more likely I'll get s*, strange? I know.
    Things like white bread with some sort of bland spread, I usually fall back on those =/
    Though, on good days - I do rather well for myself, and will venture a little further away from my 'safe foods' [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

My ultimate safe food is Ginger ale and applesauce but I can usually eat most foods. (Except for sauces, dressings, fast food, or mayonnaise) I just have to dissect/inspect my food before I can eat.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonwackyhello
    If my emet is playing up badly, my safe foods are bland foods and I won't eat anything I enjoy eating because I think I'm making it more likely I'll get s*, strange? I know.
    I've always done the same thing.

Actually when I'm really, really worried about it or if someone in my house has an sv I will only eat ritz crackers.

REAL GingerAle,
    Saltines,
    Toast,
    Bananas,
    Rice,
    Pasta

If my emet is acting up (which is 95%) of the time, I cannot eat chicken, fish,fast food, or "unsafe" food that people prepared without me being there. When eating over someone elses house I tell them I am a vegetarian so I don't have to eat something they cooked that might be "tainted"

Water,
    Ginger ale/ginger beer,
    Tea (peppermint)
    Pasta,
    Cheese,
    Corn,
    Apples,
    Bananas,
    Crackers,
    Toast,
    Chocolate.

When Im suffering badly with my phobia, I wont touch anything else at all. Sometimes even some of the things in that list arent totally safe. I once went 3 weeks only eating apples!! lol. [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

It's funny how lots of people mention pasta on their safe list... I read somewhere that the v* strain of norovirus thrives in things like pasta/rice (when they're contaminated of course) where as chicken, fish, red meat, etc are far more likely to give you d* rather than v*

So that's what I follow haha... Personally I'd rather have d* for 2 weeks non-stop than v* even once... Sad I know [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] But I'd be interested to know if anyone else has heard the same thing about different strains of norovirus, and whether or not it's a myth!
    Lauren xx

lozzag.... i work in hospital lab and have a strong background in medical microbiology. that info about the noroviruses is bunk. sorry. it survives on anything that's been contaminated by viral particles that haven't been killed by very high heat or toxic chemicals like bleach (and no, even though i'd really like to sometimes, you can't bleach your food, lol). usually fecal oral contamination. It can only grow/reproduce in host cell. strange/interesting thing about noroviruses is that they attach to red cell antigens in the your GI tract. So one strain might only infect people with type B blood and type A might just carry it but not get sick. Problem there is, there are different strains so no matter what antigens you have there's still probably one or two that will get you.

as for the d* issue, in most adults e. coli will cause that over v* as well do most, but not all other foodborne bacterial infections. it really seems to depend on the individual though.

as for my safe foods, the route of transmission of noroviruses and the main stomach bugs causes me to shy away from eating stuff that other people make, especially fast food places where gloves aren't used or people i know don't have the most sanitary habits. fortunately I like to cook so i just make my own food mostly.

when i have an upset stomach I go for salty carb stuff like soda crackers and plain pasta, almonds, etc, and bananas on occasion.
    Edited by: stormchaser97

Oh, other interesting food related thing is that last spring I decided to try becoming a vegetarian cuz I was having some lower GI probs and other stuff and my dietary requirements were already heading that way. So I just started cooking for myself. I wound up upping my intake of highly nutritious food, fiber, and whatnot. I wound up getting more energy, loosing 20 lbs, and as the COOLEST unintended bonus, despite my concerns about high fiber ticking off my stomach, my upset stomachs dropped just shy of almost non existent. So while you might not want to go all the way to veg., even a slight change in a different direction might ease some probs you have with n*just thought someone might be interested in that story.

My safe foods are tea, water, Coke, and any kinds of bland carbs, like toast, crackers, or noodles. I can usually eat chicken, too, for some reason. My standard 'anxiety order' at a restaurant is a grilled chicken sandwich.

When I'm feeling anxious I absolutely avoid anything fried, spicy, flavorful, dairy, or with weird textures (like lettuce), or any other kind of meat.

Chocolate!

I eat tonnes of it, EVEN when nauseous, I really am addicted to it. I can eat a whole packet of chocolate frogs (I think that's about 25) in under twenty-four hours.

Chocolate and cookies
    You only live once

pasta and goldfish crackers

Rice cakes, sweet juices, some fruits and vegetables, plain youghurts, cookies, soups, pasta, rice and cereals.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rice, pasta, plain juices, bread, bland carbohydrates, really.

NOTHING. Maybe stuff like tic-tacs... and that's it.

I can't eat out at restuants.I just wonder too much if the waiters touched my fork/plate and had noro on their hands or if the cooks cross contaminated something.

I mainly only eat food that you can cook..which is pretty unhealthy (my food choices) i have just recently started to eat meat again.

I have the FDA recall list saved on my bookmarks and i check them everyday to make sure my foods weren't recalled lol.