Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ok, so I found out a week ago that I am 6 weeks pregnant! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]of course I am so excited and i am dealing suprisingly well with the morning sickness (but I havent vomited from the nausea yet... check with me in 2 weeks). I just pop on my seasick bands, eat a cracker, and suck a preggie pop. I cant take pepto bismol anymore, so I am improving my phobia already! (I used to take so much PB my tongue would stay black). Unfortunately in every baby book, they talk about how common it is to vomit before delivery and/or after when using an epidural. And I need an epidural! Any advice? Any mothers or doctors know of an alternative? Or the chances?

Hi,

Congratulations on your brilliant news!!!

I had an epidural with both of my births and didn't v* with either, didn't even feel any nausea.

Hope your preganancy goes well, keep us updated.

2 kids...no n or v during labor or epidural

No n* or v* with two epidurals here![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    JANNA

Ok. I am feeling much better now. I just don't want one of the most precious moments of my life to be clouded by a panic attack. Thanks everyone!!!

I had not one bit of nausea with childbirth. In fact, despite having back labour with my son, I was hungry the whole time. All I could think of was chocolate cake --- don't ask why. Boy did I want cake. Stomach wise - I felt fine.

Stella

The only thing is after my first epidural, my blood pressure went down soooo low, that I felt faint and n*. But they gave me compazine right away and I was fine. So I would ask for an anti-emetic as soon as you can, just be safe. The second time I felt fine.

Congratulations!! I can't guarantee you'll have this experience, but I LOVED being pregnant! Some people love it, some people hate it....I hope you're able to enjoy every second.

As far as the epidural, I felt GREAT after mine. Wasn't worried about a thing. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Btw, some of those baby books go way over the top on some stuff. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

...and a big congrats. We are all happy for you!!!

Three kids, two epiduals, zero nausea after I got it!! I actually felt a lot more like v*when I was in extreme labor pain! The epidural calmed me a lot. In all three cases, my body just took over what needed to be done, and all my "Phobia" issues just went away. I guess when something that important is happening to you, the emet just doesn't matter!

BandNerd
    BandNerd

hi hun! epidurals are usually fine, ive never known anybody to v* from them, i have only had 2 epidurals and didnt feel even n* .

mostly people v* from too much gas and air or pethidine can make you quite sick, but im sure you will be fine hunny, make sure you omly have a light meal becuse having contractions on a full tummy can make you v* occasionally..

dont panic hun just enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and look forward to a little bundle of joy.. x
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

Four kiddos, four epidurals, no vomiting. Congratulations, by the way!!!

Stella~I had back labor with two of mine (my first and third). All I can say is 'ouch'.

Hi Nicole!

I'm sure you won't vomit during delivery...as anxiety is a pretty powerful anti-emetic! But anxiety has lots of other "side-effects" that are not good for you or your baby. I'd offer the suggestion of going to a Lamaze class. Not just those pre-natal "information" classes, but a real live class where you learn all the breath work and then practice it at home. This is IMMENSELY good for anxiety. Not sure why you need an epidural for sure, but if it's fear of the pain, the breath work can be miraculous. I never had any drugs of any kind with my two deliveries and the breath work really helped me in all aspects of my phobia as well.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two labours...two epidurals...no v* or n*1 Good luck and congrats!

None here. I did ask for phenergan, and wound up sleeping though both labors-just woke up to push.
    Amanda

Proud mommy to:
    Michael (11)
    Bethanie (7)
    Peanut (EDD 14 March 2009)

Congratulations! How exciting!

I do not have children but I can tell you that two of my friends (2 pregnancies each, 3 of which were w/ epidurals) both who v VERY easily did not v w/ the epidural. And we're talking non-emets that v more than anyone I know HAHA.

Sage - wow no pain meds at all!? That's awesome! It's funny, I have a friend that is taking a women's studies class and she was saying how they are learning about all the bs that those pregnancy books put in women's heads. Also talking w/ another friend who has had 3 kids we were talking about how much of what we expect affects what we experience. She was prepared but also viewed it as a natural, human, beautiful experience so while she had pain she knew it would end and the outcome would be worth it (God let me be that way when I have kids lol).

Anyhow Good Luck! Try to enjoy the experience, my Mom says she LOVED being pregnant!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I was petrified as well about having my baby because of the emet. However, I had a great labor, no epidural, no n* or v*. I begged for compazineas a prophylaxisduring my labor but the nurse couldn't understand why I wanted that & no epidural!! And personally, that wasn't the time to talk about emetophobia!: )

So, I did it with NOTHING except some maalox before I started pushing. I also had no morning sickness just massive heartburn so I guess I had a terrific pregnancy which is why I'm scared to do it again...I'm afraid that this will be the v* pregnancy!!! Good luck!!!
    Progress not Perfection!