Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: pregnancy/kids

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, this is actually my first post. I've been an emetophobe since I was 10, nearly 17 years now. For a while I was much better then I am now, I pretty much went through high school and college like a normal person. I just recently got married and now my husband and I are trying to start a family, which has triggered my phobia yet again.

I guess my major question to you all is is it possible to have kids and take care of them when they have a stomach virus? Most importantly, is it possible to take care of them and not get the bug yourself? I wash my hands a million times a day, I keep my house ridiculously clean and I dont share food with anyone, all things I will be instilling in my kids for sure. My husband is very supportive of me and has already agreed to take care of future kids when they are sick, however he travels a lot for buisness and I'm already petrified it will happen when he isn't home.

I'm still trying to get past my worries to actually become pregnant. The thought of morning sickness terrifies me. I have anti-nausea medication, phenergan and zofran which I hear are relatively safe during pregnancy. Has anyone tried these and do they work? My biggest fear is feeling sick while at work, I tend to panic if I feel sick and literally have panic attacks. Not conducive to working at all.

Anyways, sorry for the long rambling post. Its so good to see that I'm not alone.Most people I know think I'm crazy and do not understand this fear at all.

I do understand you completely! My emet is really serious also got worse when I got married because I knew I was no longer living alone and would eventually have to cope with "it". I also struggled with the idea of having children knowing that my emet could get in the way of my parenting. Anyway, I did decide to have a baby. I lived through a few weeks of morning sickness but never v*ed and my delivery went off without any nausea at all. I did in fact have a c-sestion after 24 hours of labor and I asked for an anti-emetic right before the procedure. Now I have the most amazing two-year old son in the world!

My son's had an sv all week and I'm not going to lie, its been stressful and terrifying (you can see my posts in this section). I have not gotten sick and there ae no guaranteed I won't but I would not give up having him just because he might v* from time to time and put me at the same risk. I just get all the support I can in these situations and push forward.

I hope you do not let this fear interrupt what will be the greatest joy of your life!

Nicole (Spinnerchick)

There is a similar thread about morning sickness in the Private Forums. It's AMAZING to read. I'm too young to think about pregnancy, but these women sure made me change my mind!

Even though I'm not a mom, I have three younger siblings, and when the older ones (12 years old) are sick, I get worried I might catch it, but when the youngest (1) is sick, I'm okay, I think mainly because I know my immune system is stronger than theirs.

My mom has always taken good care of us kids when we were sick. It always amazed me that she NEVER caught anything, because she gets sick from everything.