Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: How often do you fall ill?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Than Once a Year

1 2.00%
  • About Every Year

3 6.00%
  • About Every Two Years

6 12.00%
  • Three Years

2 4.00%
  • Four Years

6 12.00%
  • Five Years

2 4.00%
  • Six Years

0 0%
  • Seven Years

0 0%
  • Very Rarely (8+ Years)

25 50.00%
  • It Varies Too Much To Say

5 10.00%

Thread: How Often (SVs)

My question is basically to get the full picture of the "How Long" question. I know many of you have gone looong stretches of time without being sick, but how often do you fall ill with something that causes nausea? I pretty much never try to stop it, but I have gone six to seven years without catching something that caused me to be sick. I'm currently on my fourth year since February.

So the question posed in full then is: on average, how often do you fall ill with a stomach bug (one that makes you feel sufficiently nauseous to be sick)? Edited by: rapturerocks

I have to say, the fact that it's been so long for me since I've caught any sort of sv makes my fear that much stronger. I only remember 3 times in my life where I have v**, twice when I was younger and I caught a gastro, and once when I was 17 when I drank too much beer (haven't touched it since!!).

So, it's been almost 17 years since I've actually caught a sv or something that's made me ill!! I was 8 and am now 25.

The fact that it's bound to happen someday terrifies me to no extent...it's been so long, that I figure my time is up, you know?!

I have a question actually if anyone wants to share.

My questions is, how do you cope with a sv or fp or anything that makes you ill when you have this phobia? Some have said that they have had this fear for as long as they can remember, but have been ill while they had the fear. How do you cope?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by carrie_281
    I have a question actually if anyone wants to share.

My questions is, how do you cope with a sv or fp or anything that makes you ill when you have this phobia? Some have said that they have had this fear for as long as they can remember, but have been ill while they had the fear. How do you cope?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Carrie
    Hmm... good question; I think the answer for me is that I am just too run down to panic. The last time I was sick, I had the dry heaves and that is pretty awful. I think I probably fear that more than "regular" vomiting. My advice with dry heaves is remain calm, and maintain whatever skills you have to prevent throwing up because it's likely to keep going until your diaphragm is not agitated or until you come up with something.

I had a sv about 4 or 5 yrs ago and while I was extremely n* and had d*, I didn't v*. During the worst of it, I just tried to stay calm/distracted and kept sucking ginger candy/sipping coke/popping antacids/pepto until the urge passed.

Though I also managed appendicitis for weeks, resulting in a burst appendix, with no v* (or fever... docs had trouble diagnosing me!), and had an appendectomy AND had a second surgery cause I had an abscess from it and didn't v* then either -- though by that point I was demanding copious doses of anti-emetics.

I have only had a sv* once in my life and I was a little kid and threw up on the floor of my bathroom. I remember feeling that I had no idea that I was going to throw up. Since then I have never had the sv* and I fear that I am not going to know when I have to v*. I fear that it is going to happen out of no where so I am petrified of a sv*. The only times that I have every v*, other than that one time, have been due to either kidney stones or panic attacks, but I always know when those happen because I almost always make myself sick (basically tell myself I am going to get sick and end up getting sick).

Has anyone else ever felt you would have no idea you were going to v* and it came out of nowhere? Does anyone fear panic attacks because they have caused them to v*? Please help! The fear of the fear is awful!!![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

Yes on the panic attacks. I think that has happened to me a few times, because it would happen once or twice and that is it, with no other symptoms. So now I take either Ativan or compazine when really anxious. Anyone else on panic and getting s*?

I hardly ever do. Usually every few years.

I cant remember when I was sick because I was so young. I have an anxiety disorder and have anxiety attacks all the time but I dont worry about being sick from them because I know its just anxiety.

i have only had it twice in my life. The first time was when I was a baby, and the second, 3 years ago (21).
    You only live once

I only remember having it twice when I was 5 and 6. I don't know how many times I had it when I was younger than that. It wasn't a plesant experience.

I said every four years which is how it works if you average it out over my life, but the last two times it was almost 7 and almost 11 years apart respectively. I always worry that as I'm out in the world a bit more than when I was a kid I'll get s* more. I'm also WAY more meticulous about hand washing all the time everytime since I was younger though, so IDK, I just need to quit obsessing about it so much.