Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If you had cancer would you go through chemo and take the chance of nausea and *v* or not? [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

i would not have chemo if i got cancer but not because of the n* and v* but because i dont belive in chemo
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

To me it wouldn't even be a question I would have to ask myself twice. I would have any treatment for any illness that threatened my life regardless of vomiting or not. there is so much more to life than throwing up!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I've asked myself that same exact question. I guess it would depend on the type of cancer and if there would be a good chance that chemo would work. If there was more of a chance that I wouldn't survive, even with chemo, than I wouldn't go through with chemo. But if there was a better chance that chemo would cure me than I would have to do it. If you think about it chemo would cure cancer and emet.

I think for me it would have to be based on what my chances of living after all of this was done. If there was only a slim chance to live after the chemo then I think I would rather live out the last however long of my life happy and enjoy what time I have left than be misserable and sick all of the time.
    Looking in the past only gets you down, but looking into the future can give you wings.

Granted, not cancer, but I always told myself I would NEVER have surgery, that I'd rather just die.. and then my appendix burst. I was an adult and didn't have to sign the surgical consent forms. I was having panic attacks and hysterically crying up until I was unconscious, but when it actually came down to it, I had the surgery (and then two more. Don't ever let your appendix burst. In my own defense, however, I did go to the hospital BEFORE it burst -- they were just slow to diagnose it and figured out what was going on too late).

My first instinct here is to say "NOOOOO NEVER" but I probably would. I just hope I never have to face that decision.

I would definitely get chemo. No question.

I can't imagine how I would feel, or my family would feel if they knew I'd put myself at risk of dying because I was too scared to do anything about it.

Vicky, I'm curious why you don't believe in it? There's pretty good evidence that it has cured a lot of people who wouldn't have stood a chance without it.Edited by: x hannah x

I've thought about it before.. when I was younger, I always said I wouldn't get chemo because of the v*.. but now I think I wouldn't get chemo because it's poisoning the body. If it was really somehow the only way and I knew my chances of living were really high with it and really low without it, then I guess I'd get it.. but I think I would use chemo as a last resort thing. I've heard rumors of alterative treatments that are much better on the body (and no n* or v*!) that I'd definitely want to pursue first..

i'd rather throw up than die.

I would get the chemo. I have to admit though that getting cancer is my other worst fear next to v*. I can't help but think that I will get cancer someday too. Both my mother and her mother had it. Sometimes I feel like I am next in line. The thought of going through chemo absolutely terrifies me though on so many levels. All I can do is pray that it never happens!!

If I had cancer I'd go through chemo. I'd be really scared to but I'd do it anyways.

i always thought that i would not go through chemo but at the end of the day i would definatly rather throw up than die life is precious and i nearly lost mine 6 months ago so yeah i would not leta phobia kill me besides which not everyone throws up with chemo and given that it takes alot for emets to throw up i think most of us would cope very well
    lyndsayanne

When I was younger I always thought that if I got cancer, I would never start chemotherapy, obviously due to the side effects. Though, I now know that it is difficult for me to let myself v*, that and there is the wonderful medication, anti-emetics. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    -Silvershade

I have always said I wouldnt do it but if it actually came down to it, I really dont know. I think I would try all UNtraditional methods first out of the country and then Chemo as a last resort. I think it actually makes you sicker [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I was old I wouldn't do it. If I was young and going to die anyway I wouldn't do it. If I was young and going to live if I did it I would. Hey, this is totally off topic but I'm pretty sure related to my emetophobia is my fear of swallowing pills. I think I'm just afraid of gagging on them or something, but seriously it's ridiculous. Does anyone else have this? Tips anyone? Sorry this is off topic!

nooooooooooo
    Last edited by jadedjewels; 06-26-2014 at 11:40 AM.

I don't know.

~Maddy
    Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

Just to let you know my grany had a really aggressive form of cancer, and of course had the strongest chemo they had but AMAZINGLY she never v* once or felt n* infact she went to work as normal, granted she felt tired she said it just felt like having the flu slighly ie lethargic. etc so you don't always get s* with Chemo! So in response yo ur question YES i would have Chemo! It would be irrasponsible nd selfish to not have it nd risk my own life,for the sake of tht feeling!

I agree wholeheartedly with hippychick. Fear may be consuming but there's much greater things around.

i think that after alot of crying and panic attacks and with the help of loved ones and my counselor i would get chemo. There is a pill also.. called Emend for n* and v* associated with chemo and surgery. It was especailly made though for Chemo though and supposedly better than zofran.. its newer and came out a few yrs ago. So in that sense things are changing to make people more comfortable during treatment. So this is always promising.... anyhoo thats my two cents. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

I don't know enough about chemo. It seems a little hardcore, so maybe as a last resort. I don't think the v* issue would make much of a difference to me in a life/death situation, but I might wind up saying no to chemo for other reasons. Not sure!

hate 2 say it, but heck no!

I don't know. There are lots of anti-emetics that can subdue the nausea, but I just don't know.

~Madeleine

Yes- no doubt about it. Chemo has just saved my grandmother's life, so I think it would be quite silly to not try to fight something that can be beaten.

As a side-note....chemo didn't make my grandmother sick. In fact, for four days afterwards she would feel really great, then be ultra-tired for two days. No vomitting. Just baldness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chemotherapy saved my grandmother's life too, but she vomited around the clock before developing an endurance for the medicine.

~Maddy

I would absolutely go through chemo. Throwing up is a small price to pay.

Edited by: madisonsmom

okay, maybe i would... for my family

I would go through the chemo as well. Even though I say that I'd rather die than v*, and I've said it thousands and thousands of times, when it comes down to it, I don't think I really mean it. Life is worth so much more.
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

See for me, everything aside. I would do it for me as said above.

But really, a friend of my friends family was told he had treatable cancer. They opened him up to remove the tumour and promptly stitched him back up saying there was nothing they could do and he had weeks at best. I would feel like it was an insult to all those people hanging on and struggling and having no time left etc if I was to refuse point blank any potentially life saving treatment.

Some people would love an extra minute/hour/day with loved ones and I couldn't just refuse that on the basis that I might vomit. It's so unbelievably not worth it!!

P.s that guy is still here, 3 months later.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I would rather vomit than die of cancer!
    Thus, I would absolutely go through chemotherapy!
    ISAIAH 41:10