Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Oh my god.

I went for my first meeting with a pschologist today, and she seemed to not know what my fear was suprise suprise and when i replied saying im scared of being s* i fear choking. she had the nerve to reply "well everyones scared of being s*" i could of hit her then and there. i reply "no its not joyus, but people still go out living there lives regardless of liking it or not, i dont i have never been drunk i cant fly anymore i shake when i think about it so dont tell me no body likes it."

what is she gettin paid for.

The urge to live is stronger than the urge to give up.

I am sorry to hear about that. I have similar problems with the therapist where I live. None of them seem to know what my problem is, and none of them think it should be a big deal. They all act like I am just being dramatic or something. If I were you I would definitely look for someone else. Good luck.

im so sorry.
    deffinatly get a new therapist.
    because trying to explain it to someone is so frusterating, expecially a therapist.
    I know today i tried to explain to my friends, and have never opened up about it.
    they all said well i think its funny. its like im afraid of dogs and needles. thts no different.
    we all get over it.
    && i do, i really do wish there was a cure for emet, a way for everyone to be aware of it.
    im so tierd of being made fun of and told its all in my head.
    i know it is, the thing i dont know: is how to change it.
    its been a mind set for so long.

I would get a new therapist. ASAP.
    Amanda

Proud mommy to:
    Michael (11)
    Bethanie (7)
    Peanut (EDD 14 March 2009)

Unfortunatley, from my expereince, psychologists and counsellors are getting paid for bulls***ting people. I've been to counsellors about things both related and unrelated to my phobia, but they don't do crap, they try to make me answer my own questions by replying to me wtih nonsensical filler words that show no sign of knowledge on their part. I'll never ever go to a psychologist again. Waste of money and time. [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I went to a therapist for three months once. During the twelve week period, a total of twelve hours she said the following .... "I wonder why you feel that way. Why do you think you feel that way?" That was it!!! She was fired after spending over $1500!!!! I guess that is how she supported her very expensive home and Mercedes - Benz.

If a therapist doesn't get it on the first visit, its time to find a new one--- quickly.

Stella

I agree with those who've said find a new therapist!

That's a really bad attitude for her to have. Doesn't she know the difference between a fear and a phobia?

My mom used to say "Well no one likes getting sick"...of course no one likes it BUT most people wouldn't go to the extremes that an emet would to avoid it. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by stella9
    I went to a therapist for three months once. During the twelve week period, a total of twelve hours she said the following .... "I wonder why you feel that way. Why do you think you feel that way?" That was it!!! She was fired after spending over $1500!!!! I guess that is how she supported her very expensive home and Mercedes - Benz.

If a therapist doesn't get it on the first visit, its time to find a new one--- quickly.

Stella
    Yes! That's what they say, "why do you think you feel that way?" anybody can ask that question. Lol she was fired? that's great!

that really sucks that your therapist had such a crappy attitude. that is just super unprofessional. I just posted my experience w/ my new therapist. In case you did not read it, I was saying that when I told her about the phobia I have, she said that her son has it. And it is a very real, very disruptive phobia!!!

For so many therapist to charge a ridiculous amount of money for their services, they should know alot more about this phobia. I have done soo much research and it is so much common that people realize.

My therapist is the same way. I absolutely hate going to see her, but i promised my husband I would give it a try. She makes it seem so ridiculous that I am scared of this. She said she would rather v* then do many of lifes things, and she just cant understand why I am so scared of it. She told me to try to think about the positives...like if i v* i wont die. Well, that doesnt help me get over it at all. I am still as terrified today as I was yesterday, and to make matters worse the lady i babysit for was sick this weekend v* for almost 24 hours and now i feel crappy and am praying i dont get it.