Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago and may have to have a test called an ERCP done,...well, its scheduled for Wednesday......this is Saturday and I don't think I can do it.
    They say I will be so sedated that I won't know anything but I don't think they really understand me when I try to explain my condition and fear of vomiting or anything around my mouth or nose or throat or stomach.......

Has anyone had a ERCP done????????????any advice?????????? Im desperate!!!!!

I have had 3 babies all of them c-section and never got sick!!!!.........Had my gallbladder removed after years of pain and now this??????......

Im panicking,.....this is a nightmare?

i've seen them done and you can just ask for very deep sedation before they even do anything. people don't generally remember anything. hope this helps!

I may have to have an endoscopy at some point in the not too distant future so I understand your concern completely! I hate having things in my mouth that are not under my control (i.e. brushing my own teeth? No problem. dental cleaning? ack! ack!).

Tell the doctor that you *need* to be *completely* sedated. Also tell them that you are sensitive to sedation and that you need to be given anti-emetics BEFORE (very important) you are given any sedation and that you may need more after so be prepared for that. I already warned my current gastro's office (who doesn't know about my emet) that I need meds with sedation and they just said "Ok, I'll make a note in your chart that you need Zofran with sedation." It was very easy! They don't want you to be miserable/uncooperative.

Last time I was sedated I was supposed to be in a "semi-conscious" state and I was knocked out cold for hours. (They gave me fentinyl and valium... and refused to give me anti-emetics beforehand, and I woke up very nauseated, but never vomited. I just yelled at the nurse to get me nausea meds as soon as I was conscious)

I had an endoscopy when I was 16 years old. I told the doctor about my emet and they completely sedated me and gave me anti-emetics. I got knocked out really quick and when I woke up I was actually really starving. I didn't feel any n* after the procedure and I was actually quite mad since I couldn't eat anything large (just crackers).

Just let the doctors know about your anxiety, they will completely understand and do everything in thier power to make sure everything goes smoothly.

=)
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

hi Josie

I have had 4 ERCPs in the last 4 months and am due one in 2 weeks 3 of mine where done under general anasthetic however as will be my next one i agree that you should emphasise how bad your phobia is to your docs also the sedation is really powerfull so you may not remember a thing i did but this is i must emphasise not very common hence the general anasthetics as mine at the moment are a neccesatiy but most people i have spoken to cannot remember so try not to worry too much you can do this i always thought that i would not be able to do alot that are now just part of keeping me fairly healthy you will be OK pm me if you need to

lyndsayanne