Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I just found out that I'm pregnant. I've felt gross for three days now. When I start feeling sick, I stop eathing, and everything gets worse. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

When does this get better? Does it? I'm so scared....I don't want to feel sick.

I've had 3 pregnancies and I can absolutely tell you that not eating is the worse thing you can do. A lot of pregnancy sickness is made better by eating, in fact the only time I didn't feel ill is when I was eating. Have something bland if you can't face anything else. Ginger is supposed to help. You could try wrist bands that are sold for travel sickness.

I don't have any kids or anything, but I followed the last pregnancy post we had here, and found that a lot of the moms didn't have morning sickness at all simply because they ate. When I Googled morning sickness, most of the results have said that doctors urge mommies to always always have something in their stomachs!

Latest Pregnancy Thread

I agree with the others. You definitely want to keep something on your stomach even if its crackers. I have 4 children. I did have queasiness in the beginning and I found the plain potato chips or saltine crackers helped. I think it was the salt actually. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I had lots of smell and taste aversions. I would eat whatever sounded good to me. With my last pregnancy (she is 21 months old) I could not eat any meat at all. I simply ate what sounded good. If I wanted watermelon... I would eat it.

Congratulations by the way. Baby's are a true blessing!!

Don't be scared of being sick. Your hormones are going crazy. If it gets too bad just tell your ob/gyn and they will recommend different things for you! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Edited by: madisonsmom

Not eating is definitely the wost thing you could do!

I know it's hard to eat when you have that N* feeling...but if you want to feel better than eating is the best thing you could do.

When I was having morning sickness and it was at it's worst, I found that anytime I would go for more than a few hours without food I would be so sick.

Not eating will not prevent you from v*...it actually can make it more likely that you will. Keep some food on your stomach. Also ask your doctor if they can give you some anti-n* medicines.

If you are taking prenatal vitamins make SURE to take them with food...I've heard taking them in the middle of a meal can help (rather than before, or after). I'm almost convinced that the vitamins are what made my morning sickness so bad. I ended up taking the children's ones...if you feel like you can't handle them ask your doctor about this alternative.

Also, mine (didn't get bad until the 2nd month and ) got better around the beginning of the 4th month.

first...congrats!..how far along are you?
    Also keep eating light several times a day...it will help you more than you will ever know. I would feel n...not eat and be worse.
    I have had 3 pregnancys and never v. As long as i ate i was ok. A few things that helped:
    Starchy foods like plain pasta, plain mashed potatoes, plain baked potatoes really helped me. Lemonade was a life saver...dont ask why...but it REALLY calmed my stomach down. I kept saltines by the bed so i could munch on them in the morning and slowy get up...yes...i set my alarm to do so...getting up slowly helps.
    Dont let yourself get hungary...i swear i had to eat every 3 hours or i would feel n.
    Sea Bands are awesome. you wear them on your wrist and it had a button that you put on your pressure point on your wrist...to help.
    Emetrol is a thick cherry anti n med that is a liquid and safe...ask your Dr, mine reccomended it.
    Stay hydrated. Not drinking ebough water will make you feel bad too.
    Alot of us on here have had kids or are pregnant now...we have been there before and will be there for you.

You have gotten so good replies...

katsamsmom3 is absolutely right. Emetrol is approved for pregnancy. Although always check with YOUR ob/gyn first. I have heard many ladies say that Sea Bands do help with nausea too.

Lemonade did help me too. AND making sure you get plenty to drink is a must too.

You will do great I am sure. I know its hard to eat when you don't feel good but when you do eat something light it does help with that general "icky" feeling!

Feel assured... if it DOES get to be too much for you, just tell your ob/gyn and they can direct you in the right direction.

Oh yea... prenatal vitamins. I had to take them after dinner. I never had any problems with them when I did this.

Congratulations on your pregnancy [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] It will get better, really. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I agree w/ everyone. You must eat! Even though you don't feel like it, it does help. And in my experience, the morning sickness gets better after the first trimester. Congratulations to you!!!!!!

To EVERYONE, THANKS SO MUCH!!

I think I am gettig the hang of this. Eating all the time, and getting pleanty of water.

I'm around seven weeks right now, and getting used to the idea of becoming a Mommy. My husband and I had decided against children. Me because of my phobia, and he because he just didn't want them. So it was a pretty big shock when the test gave me a pig fat postitive! I'm sure it would have been a funny sight to see. Me pacing the house, stopping in to the bathroom to check the results and shake my head. We're getting used to the idea. Like I said.

But some days are hard for me. Days when I've got nothing to do, so I sit around and think about feeling sick. Like today. And boy do I feel icky today.

I don't get the big bad N* so much as just feeling gross! I don't know how else to describe it. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] I hope tomorrow will be a better day, because today, SUCKED. heheehe.

Congrats! I posted on here a while back because I had just found out I was pregnant too. Unforunately I miscarried 2 weeks ago but I have to tell you, being pregnant really wasn't so bad. I had my off days, mostly at night actually but definitely eating helped and I would simply just eat what I felt like. It was never that bad really. In fact, believe it or not, I miss it more then anything else in the world.

I know that there are safe anti-emetics during pregnancy and there are also prescription pre-natals that are nicer on the stomach. You could try asking your OB-GYN too.

Good luck, hang in there and you'll be fine!

Each and every mom has their own methods for dealing with morning sickness. It's strange how different things work for different people! It's all trial and error, and once you find what works for you, it gets a lot better!

I agree with eating as much as you can. But don't force yourself to eat healthy foods because you're "supposed to." If the thought of broccoli makes you green, and french fries sound good...well, eat the junk. Morning sickness eventually goes away, and then you can focus on eating healthier.

I survived on mac n cheese, pizza bagels, and McDonald's burgers and fries during the first trimester. Not the healthiest of choices, but it worked for me.

Congrats on your baby-to-be and hang in there! It will get better. I thought the first trimester would never end, but once it did, the rest of my pregnancy went by quickly and more easily!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WHY DO I READ STUFF!?

I started feeling better! I thought I might be through the woods a little. Then I read up on M/S and some people say it doesn't start 'till week 8 or 9!!! WHAT!? why do I read these things? Why didn't I listen to my sister and just go with it for now? Just until I could see a doctor and they could give me something to ease my mind. None of the women in my family have done the big bad *V while preggers, they all just felt sort of crumby...like I've been feeling. So why don't I taket that as a sign? Why not just say, if they didn't I won't. This sort of thing runs in the family...

I hate this. I hate freaking out. I CAN NOT wait for the first trimester to be done! Five weeks to go...God give me strenght of mind and soul. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I work in the medical field, I'm a PA. Morning sickness is thought to be a result of the increasing levels of HCG. HCG starts rising as soon as you become pregnant and then begins to rise exponentially thereafter. I have seen sites that claim morning sickness doesn't start until after 8-9 weeks as well, but in almost all cases if you haven't had it by your 7th week, or if it is not that bad by your 7th week, you will be fine. Do not worry that it will get any worse, you have no reason to think that at all. People who are more likely to have morning sickness are those that 1. Felt sick while taking birth control pills, 2. Whose mom got sick during pregnancy....and from what you said, no one in your family got sick during pregnancy. Just try to relax and enjoy this.

I was doing the same thing when I was pregnant, reading things online, freaking myself out. It only made everything worse. If I just forgot about feeling sick, I felt so much better. That's why being at work actually was good for me, it took my mind off of things.

Have you had your first OB visit yet? As I said before, there are anti-emetics safe for pregnancy, Zofran 8mg daily is usually very effective. You may feel better just having that on hand to take in the case of emergencies. There are also pre-natal vits that are prescriptions that are gentle on the stomach.

You will be fine, and when you finally see that baby in your arms it will all be worth it. I'm hoping I get pregnant again soon and this time around I will be so focused on having a healthy baby that maybe I wont worry so much about feeling sick!

Ya ... read NOTHING! lol
    When I had cancer I eventually stopped reading stuff cuz every time I did I thought I was going to die for sure (that was 12 years ago...)

As for morning sickness, I really think that if none of the other women in your family were sick you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Emets don't really ever get morning sickness anyway, but def. not if your family women haven't. Try to relax and enjoy!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I just found out I'm pregnant too. I think I'm making myself s*. I'm freaking out about it. Everyone has some great ideas and I'm going to try Lemonade. It is really hard to want to eat anything when you feel s* though. Last night was rough for me and I even ate dinner. I've just started the Unisom/B6 combo so am hoping that will keep me feeling better. I do think reading some things on the preggo sites are scary. I hope you feel better soon and good luck with your pregnancy. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    Emets don't really ever get morning sickness anyway, but def. not if your family women haven't.
    Ever? Maybe rarely, but I did and I'm definitely emet. [img]smileys/smilies_15.gif[/img]

<center>CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO IS PREGNANT!</font></center> [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I hope you have the best of pregnancies and enjoy your suprise at the end of it Keep us posted on your Journeys, it would be wonderful to follow them
    [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] Edited by: xheartsxoliviax

I've stopped reading things on the net, and so am doing MUCH better. I'm just telling myself that since my Mom and sisters, and aunties, and grandmother never got sick, that I won't. I've convinced myself that the worst is over, and that I am out of the woods as far as feeling horrid. Every now and then I'll get sort of gross feeling, but I eat, or busy myself and get over it. I'm feeling better doing this. But some days are still very bad, and I let my mind get the better of me. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by betti_felon
    I've stopped reading things on the net, and so am doing MUCH better. I'm just telling myself that since my Mom and sisters, and aunties, and grandmother never got sick, that I won't. I've convinced myself that the worst is over, and that I am out of the woods as far as feeling horrid. Every now and then I'll get sort of gross feeling, but I eat, or busy myself and get over it. I'm feeling better doing this. But some days are still very bad, and I let my mind get the better of me. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    How far along are you now? [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

Well I'm not positive, as I'm still wating for my "insurance program" to kick in so I can see a doc, but the people at the clinic say around 9 weeks.
    I\'m fine...I\'m fine...I\'m fine...

So I'm no longer pregnant, but a Mommy.

My son, Colton, was born on Dec 9th (my brithday too) and everything went well. I was so scared I'd do the big bad V* during labor, but didn't!

I try not to constantly imagine what his first big bad stomach v* will be like, but often times I worry over it. I prey that I don't pass this phobia on to my son.

He's 5 months now, and doing wonderful! And I love him more than I thought possible. I just don't want him to suffer the way I do!

Way to go, and congratulations! Two baby announcements, always makes
    my heart melt. Seeing as babies are my ultimate weakness.

You made it! doesn't it feel great? We must have gotten pregnant, almost
    around the same time. My son is just about five months old, and I had him
    January 4th at 12:20 in the morning, talk about a long labor!

It's so exciting! Again I congratulate you on your success! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.

I insisted upon anti-emets with my epidural, they made me sleep through most of my labor [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] then, after about fifteen hours of labor, I asked my midwife to break my water. After that it was about two hours. Pushing was the worst! I would push so hard, then after i was done I'd feel s*. (but only because I freaked myself out) I never v*ed. And it was all soooo worth it!

So understandable dear. I always dreaded but looked forward to pushing.
    It was when I found my nausea was at it's peak, probably because you're
    using all of the muscles in your gut which in turn causes your stomach to
    feel like it's being pushed upward.
    Hurts like no other though. I remember turning to my nurse and saying
    "Wonder what it feels like to crap out a watermelon? This must not be too
    different."
    My labor coach had a good laugh.

It's good you got the anti emetics though! They are definitely a life saver
    eh? I found popsicles helped me as well. Both my mother and sister got
    sick in their labors. They never asked for anti emetics since they are not
    phobic. My sister's boyfriend was throwing up too just from watching her.
    It was one long night I tell you!
    Last edited by sdfl; 01-08-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    Life is so worth living.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Everyone's covered just about everything I was gonna say! Eat as often as possible and stay hydrated. I never had m/s with either of my pregnancies .. at all. The only time I'd get n* was if I needed to eat! Once I figured that out, I was just fine. And I also agree that if you haven't had m/s by now, you won't get it later on. Any woman I've talked to that had the later trimester m/s had also had it early on ... kinda like 9 months of m/s. Ohh can you imagine?!?

Oh, also, Layla has a good point about the prenatals. I had to switch mine b/c I got horribly n* with the first set. I wish I could remember what I was on ... but alas. And do take them WITH food. I'm a strong believer that taking any pills with food will help prevent n* or ill effects.

Researching, although enhances your intellect, could be a burden if you are emet! I would probably not be so terrible with food if i didnt research about food poisoning..now i cannot eat out.period.and its odd.

try this site too..they have remedies.i don't advise reading the "share your stories" section though! stick to the remedies page.

heres the direct link to the remedies
    http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/products.html

Prenatal vitamins = Ick.
    Life is so worth living.

OMG- I know exactly how you feel. I just found out that I am pregnant
    and the last few days have been a nightmare. I am terrified to eat
    anything for fear that I might get sick. I try to eat and if I start to feel sick I
    stop eating and then I feel even worse. My biggest fear is morning
    sickness or any kind of other sickness for that matter. I too am wondering
    if this will pass and when..............

Do a internet search on prenatals that are easy on your stomach.They are out there.

I did have a link to some saved but then my puter crashed!